Anon Leo Brand Ambassadors

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (0e13)

Am I the only one disturbed by some of the images posted by leotard brand ambassadors? Add to that how a lot of these girls and/or their parents post videos tagging their home gym. It would be so easy for an online creep to find out where these girls live. I just find it frightening.

I'm pretty new to gymnastics but I've found it deeply troubling. My elder child is an entirely different sport that has its own plague of "brand ambassadors" on Instagram - I wouldn't let him near any of that - but at least on that one they're mostly just selling hoodies and things. TBQH I've been shocked by the sheer volume of video of little girls in leotards that's Instagrammed by parents, particularly from the USA.

You aren't the only one. Other than a very few brands, most of these are basically scams. And using your child in advertising to get a discount just does not go over well with me. For me its really not about tracking kids (information is in hundreds of other easily accessible places) but simply the concept of dressing your kid up and taking pictures to post publicly to advertise, for usually little more than a discount.

While I personally disagree with it, I do understand the psychology behind it. There is real money to be had via this avenue. Apparently, as a society, we greatly value social media stars. One only has to look so far as the poster child for this sport in this context, Livvy Dunne, or even before that, Whitney Bejerkin (sp?)(even though she is younger than Livvy, she started (her parents) much earlier). Someone with 100k+ followers heading into college with only a moderate amount of success is looking at some non-minuscule money deals. We are talking generational wealth here. So I get it and while I disagree with it and shake my head, I am not going to judge anyone who thinks this is best avenue for them to pursue.

While I personally disagree with it, I do understand the psychology behind it. There is real money to be had via this avenue. Apparently, as a society, we greatly value social media stars. One only has to look so far as the poster child for this sport in this context, Livvy Dunne, or even before that, Whitney Bejerkin (sp?)(even though she is younger than Livvy, she started (her parents) much earlier). Someone with 100k+ followers heading into college with only a moderate amount of success is looking at some non-minuscule money deals. We are talking generational wealth here. So I get it and while I disagree with it and shake my head, I am not going to judge anyone who thinks this is best avenue for them to pursue.
I just disagree when the child is posed sexually. I’ve seen pictures of minor girls with their butt cheeks hanging out of leotards or a video where they zoom in on the leg hole of the leotard. Paid marketing for leotard companies usually stays classier in my opinion. I can’t imagine some of the images I’ve seen encouraging sales to parents. The market the images I’ve seen seem to target is very scary to me. I’m sorry but I do judge that.

I have mixed feelings about it.

I'm not one to give a hoot about influencers or social media much, but then I'm Gen X, and have a more distant relationship with that sort of stuff. All of the Millenials I have known (and of course Gen Z) have fundamentally different relationships to social media. It seems like a more natural extension of themselves (for better or worse) than it will ever be for me. So I'm sure they see a presence on social media quite differently than I do. I see commercialization and social pressure where they see platform, expression and, yes, opportunity.

I'm sure there are probably safety risks with an online presence if someone particularly disturbed gets fixated on an individual, but if that sort of thing is happening frequently, I haven't heard about it. (Not that I'm super plugged in, honestly). These days I'm not sure anyone is truly protected or anonymized once they step online (present forum excepted, perhaps).

My kiddo is an ambassador for a leotard company. While we are very conservative on what we post, we see more often than not girls posting shots that I feel are sadly inappropriate. It really stinks that a parent doesn't realize posting a crotch shot or splits and really even shots on bars that just aren't okay to put out there. Even with our conservative posting the account still gets overrun with inappropriate comments. So much so that we are considering ending the ambassadorship. I will tell you that these companies are smart because they do no work and get basically free advertising. ( except for the leotards sent )

My kiddo is an ambassador for a leotard company. While we are very conservative on what we post, we see more often than not girls posting shots that I feel are sadly inappropriate. It really stinks that a parent doesn't realize posting a crotch shot or splits and really even shots on bars that just aren't okay to put out there. Even with our conservative posting the account still gets overrun with inappropriate comments. So much so that we are considering ending the ambassadorship. I will tell you that these companies are smart because they do no work and get basically free advertising. ( except for the leotards sent )
My daughter has done some work in the modeling/entertainment industry and her agent has told me how much the industry looks down on these things. Like you mentioned, it’s free marketing for the company. No paying models or photographers or editors.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m sorry that you’ve experienced inappropriate comments. I can see how it could be fun and appealing if done tastefully.

Yep. It’s just asking for creeps to stalk your daughter, it’s also literally free advertising for the companies. However a lot of these girls with really high follower counts are getting paid real money from Instagram, so I can see why people do it. Also with NIL, if these girls get to college and already have hundreds of thousands of followers it’s going to make getting endorsement deals that much easier. All that being said, we’ve stayed away from it personally.

IMO L.D. is the worst thing to happen to little gymnasts with stars in their eyes. They see her photo-shopped and inappropriate posing, and copy her. There is a rising 9th grader (that reps lots of leotard companies and other products) that has been posing like she's 25 and a swimsuit model since she was 12. There is a family-owned Leo company that allows their own daughters to post the most inappropriate posts while barely wearing clothes,, even their youngest who is not even a teenager yet. If the moms and dads don't see the issue here, and actually encourage it, it will only get worse. It is most surprising because after all the issues with USAG and the doctor, and demand for unitards or shorts instead of leotards, and more covering for the gymnasts, that the posts and posing on IG from young girls in leotards seems only to be getting more risqué than ever. It is disturbing, as the OP stated.

Am I the only one disturbed by some of the images posted by leotard brand ambassadors? Add to that how a lot of these girls and/or their parents post videos tagging their home gym. It would be so easy for an online creep to find out where these girls live. I just find it frightening.
I think it's pretty disgusting too and I honestly don't understand how so many parents justify to themselves what they are doing to their own children. There is literally no reason a young child needs an instagram account anyway and then to post what they do to attract followers.. o_O What gets me is if you say anything negative to them (the parents), they will talk about how we don't understand how hard they work to keep out or remove the bad people and that they take it very seriously. I mean it's not that hard.. don't post the pictures in the first place and you won't have these predators and icky people to keep out. And for what? free leotards and bragging rights mostly. :rolleyes:

I can say that my daughter is equally annoyed by these accounts. There are a few at her gym that rep multiple leo companies and have a lot of followers. She is not a fan.. she finds the accounts and constant posts cringy and those gymnasts rather obnoxious.

I

I have mixed feelings about it.

I'm not one to give a hoot about influencers or social media much, but then I'm Gen X, and have a more distant relationship with that sort of stuff. All of the Millenials I have known (and of course Gen Z) have fundamentally different relationships to social media. It seems like a more natural extension of themselves (for better or worse) than it will ever be for me. So I'm sure they see a presence on social media quite differently than I do. I see commercialization and social pressure where they see platform, expression and, yes, opportunity.

I'm sure there are probably safety risks with an online presence if someone particularly disturbed gets fixated on an individual, but if that sort of thing is happening frequently, I haven't heard about it. (Not that I'm super plugged in, honestly). These days I'm not sure anyone is truly protected or anonymized once they step online (present forum excepted, perhaps).
First, the problem with a lot of these ambassadorships is that the parents really push their gymnasts into doing it. I have known quite a few brand ambassadors over the years, and in every case I am aware of, the parents orchestrate the entire thing. Even worse, their daughters don’t even want to do it but are given no choice.
Second, I’m a huge believer in letting a gymnast’s skills and performance speak for themselves. With a full ride, gymnasts receive a free education, and, therefore graduate from college with no debt. With NIL, there is plenty of time to build make money when they are adults (at least 18).

Second, I’m a huge believer in letting a gymnast’s skills and performance speak for themselves. With a full ride, gymnasts receive a free education, and, therefore graduate from college with no debt. With NIL, there is plenty of time to build make money when they are adults (at least 18).
I agree, I wouldn't personally put my daughter out there like that. I wish it wasn't a thing, but that's a bit naive statement there about college and NIL. There is a direct relationship between the size of NIL deals and the number of followers for the Olympic sports athletes (football/basketball are a whole different game). So gaining as many followers as possible before college is what folks want to do. Most NIL deals that I have seen for the average college gymnast are a couple hundred here or there to do a signing or poster. A few of the large SEC programs have decent NIL opportunities but even then those are maybe 5-10k. Also, there are so few scholarships available and costs are incurred that arent covered by scholarships.

My point is I logically see why some kids/families get caught up in it and pursue this route. Like everything in life, we all make cost/benefit decisions and every individual is unique in that standpoint. (I sound like an economist lol).

Well, the reality is that it is going far beyond the free Leos. To have the opportunity to be a brand ambassador, you need to have a lot of followers. The majority of these kids have been sold online by their parents and are now the family income stream. Its gross and yet sadly legal. Child actors are protected but parents making six figures or more putting their child in leotards in sexualized poses all over the internet doesn't fall into the child acting category. If I had a dime for every time I saw a parent online trying to get more followers for their YOUNG child's instagram ( supposedly because the child -usually five or six years old- is begging for more followers- yeah right mom) well I wouldn't need a job!

I agree, I wouldn't personally put my daughter out there like that. I wish it wasn't a thing, but that's a bit naive statement there about college and NIL. There is a direct relationship between the size of NIL deals and the number of followers for the Olympic sports athletes (football/basketball are a whole different game). So gaining as many followers as possible before college is what folks want to do. Most NIL deals that I have seen for the average college gymnast are a couple hundred here or there to do a signing or poster. A few of the large SEC programs have decent NIL opportunities but even then those are maybe 5-10k. Also, there are so few scholarships available and costs are incurred that arent covered by scholarships.

My point is I logically see why some kids/families get caught up in it and pursue this route. Like everything in life, we all make cost/benefit decisions and every individual is unique in that standpoint. (I sound like an economist lol).
My daughter has a full ride to a D1 program, and all expenses are paid by the university (tuition, room, board, books, stipend to cover incidentals, etc.). Also, many college gymnastics programs have NIL money for all the gymnasts on the team. (To be clear, it is my understanding that it is not orchestrated by program, but rather boosters.)
As for gaining followers on social media, most gymnasts will add more followers by posting videos of their high level routines/skills. Once they are upper level gymnasts in high school, they do this in the hopes that college coaches will see them. At one point before my daughter committed, she had over 20 college top D1 programs following her.
As for doing ambassadorships, gymnasts are not paid; they receive merchandise. This does not build generational wealth.

As for gaining followers on social media, most gymnasts will add more followers by posting videos of their high level routines/skills.
I wouldn't say that "most" gymnasts do this. Yes, that is a valuable tool when working on recruiting and I do not have a problem with that at all.

"Most" gymnasts that I see on Instagram aren't even old enough to have one so I assume it is run by a parent and most of the posts are not high level routines/skills.

I wouldn't say that "most" gymnasts do this. Yes, that is a valuable tool when working on recruiting and I do not have a problem with that at all.

"Most" gymnasts that I see on Instagram aren't even old enough to have one so I assume it is run by a parent and most of the posts are not high level routines/skills.

I think we are agreeing with each other. To clarify, the “most” refers to the fact that when upper level gymnasts post videos of their skills, “most” will gain more followers than brand ambassadors. I am arguing for gymnasts to wait, at least, until high school to post on social media and only for recruiting purposes. Of course, most girls don’t make it to the upper levels of gymnastics, or if they do, they aren’t looking to do gymnastics in college. However, this thread started by talking about young girls being brand ambassadors, not influencers. Brand ambassadors are not paid. As for influencers, there has only been a handful of gymnasts (Olivia Dunn, Whitney Bjerken) who have been able to acquire generational wealth from posting on social media about gymnastics.

I think we are agreeing with each other. To clarify, the “most” refers to the fact that when upper level gymnasts post videos of their skills, “most” will gain more followers than brand ambassadors. I am arguing for gymnasts to wait, at least, until high school to post on social media and only for recruiting purposes. Of course, most girls don’t make it to the upper levels of gymnastics, or if they do, they aren’t looking to do gymnastics in college. However, this thread started by talking about young girls being brand ambassadors, not influencers. Brand ambassadors are not paid. As for influencers, there has only been a handful of gymnasts (Olivia Dunn, Whitney Bjerken) who have been able to acquire generational wealth from posting on social media about gymnastics.
technically Whitney didn't acquire that wealth. According to her interview with the NYT, her parents got the money until very recently.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back