Parents Leo sizing and recommendations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lilymom

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! I'm having some trouble finding a leo to fit my daughter...The smalls are tight and are leaving red lines in her skin. The mediums we tried are all too big. I bought one int that I understood to be in between but it is pretty big and saggy. Any suggestions on places or sizes that might work? Can you take in leos (easily at least since I'm not too skilled in this area)
Thanks!

Try flip flop leo's on ebay. My daughter loves them. They fit her very well. She wears a size 7 clothes and a size 7 flip flop leo.

There are people on Etsy who will make leos according to your child's measurements. Also, Melody Leotards will make custom sizes if, say, your child needs a longer narrower leo or whatever.

GymDigs also will make custom size leotards. They do a great job and are willing to "fix" it if they don't get it right - which only happens in cases like mine.
If she has any special fit issues that aren't covered by girth, hips, waist, and chest, there is a space to list those comments. (that is what I should have done).

I am not "gymnast" sized, but really wanted a biketard - just to test if they could do it. Even though it was custom, they offered my money back if I didn't like the fit. Well, the fit (girth) was PERFECT... my problem was that not only am I "fluffy" but all of my "fluff" is in the front, specifically my abdomen, so I am truly oddly shaped. The arm holes were too big... my undergarments were both showing through the armholes and they came a little too far forward, IYKWIM... and the legs were too long (I have a 23" inseam and the shorts part of the biketard were down past my knees) and they were too loose ... my legs could wear pants 8-10 sizes smaller than my abdomen... so like I said, I was really TESTING them. For $25, I got this biketard and they offered to fix it for me, but I chose my money back... HOWEVER, I Know they COULD do it. :)

I am not a seamstress at all, but I've had to alter every Leo dd has to make it fit her. GK CS are too long in the torso for her but fit otherwise very well, so I just shorten the torso at the crotch for a perfect fit. She has some other leos that are too big in the armholes (and in the torso) and I make some modifications there as well.

The very first Leo I ever bought my gymnast was her comp Leo, lol, I make all hers.
However, as a coach I have seen "my" kids try on and buy new leos. At our gym we only carry GK, but even so I have noticed that not all are created equal. Just the other day I was helping one little girl and her mom and she tried on several in the same exact size.... Some fit very well, some were way too big (this happened to be a girl outgrowing her XS and trying on S). So my suggestion would be to try lots of different ones on in the same size range.

Some leo makers on etsy I'm sure are wonderful (I do have an etsy store but I do not sell/make leos for others) but I have seen many who honestly have no business selling their crafts..! So if you go that route, make sure that you either have some sort of return policy or can check the workmanship through multiple close ups etc. also be very wary of sellers that seem like a great deal... A well made handmade garment is more expensive than store bought, and if you see someone who is (sometimes a lot) cheaper than your gyms pro shop... There's very likely a good reason for that. ;)

Since I *am* a seamstress I have actually altered a Leo dd was given by a friend. It was much too large and it wasn't a difficult thing to do, but "easy" for me is completely different than "easy" for someone who isn't very comfortable with sewing.
Good luck!

My DD is long in the torso and a stick elsewhere so getting anything to fit right has been a battle. Only ones that are a perfect fit on her are Alpha Factor and Christian Moreau, other brands are either too tight or too baggy

For an extra fee, I know that Snowflake designs will also make leotards to fit... I think GK will too.
Also, remember... Velvet has a lot of stretch and will be able to take a smaller size as will nylon. Mystique will be tighter and may need to go up a size. MY OG wears an AS / AM most of the time... however, she has a velvet CL that she is just now ready to pass down... and her little sister is an AXS, but can still get away with CL velvet or AS Mystique (these sizes are for both GK and Snowflake).
Like SurpriseGymMom said, try different ones in the same size range... you might just find one that fits.

Thank you for all this info! I didn't know different materials would fit different but it makes sense. Where do you go to try in leos? I've only ever bought online (we don't have any at our gym)
Thanks!

If there is a children's resell shop around, they may have leotards... where I am, we have "Once Upon a Child" and they allow you to try the clothes on.

Other than that, you may need to see if there are any gyms around with Pro Shops or find a GK Outlet or something like that.

If you are ordering online from one of the "big names" you could call them first and tell them your daughter's measurements and see what they suggest.

Good Luck.

Velvet has a lot of stretch

Stretch velvet is great, very comfortable and stretchy. This is an advantage as it stretches to fit whatever shape, and will fit for longer as the child grows. The Zone makes really nice velvet leos. They're in the UK so don't know if exchange rates and shipping would make them too expensive wherever you are.

I make all ours and leggings and tops and shorts so they have a good choice to make it fun and its cheap!

Attachments

• uk leo.jpg
    uk leo.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 48
  • aus leo.jpg
    aus leo.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 40
  • dora leo.jpg
    dora leo.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 40
My daughter has the same problem, but she is in-between a medium and large. As of right now, she will only wear one style leotard and its the one with the open back. Both Motionwear (styles with a #1454) and Melody make adorable leotards in this cut. It must have something to do with the open-back style having some "give" to it so that it doesn't leave red marks by the shoulders/armpits/neckline.

My daughter has the same problem, but she is in-between a medium and large. As of right now, she will only wear one style leotard and its the one with the open back. Both Motionwear (styles with a #1454) and Melody make adorable leotards in this cut. It must have something to do with the open-back style having some "give" to it so that it doesn't leave red marks by the shoulders/armpits/neckline.
You are exactly right... Both of my gymmies have long torsos and THAT is the measurement we have to fit. With an open back design, we can go with the lower of the 2 sizes we are between (YG can wear a CL with open back... a CM if it is velvet and open back). Have a great weekend.

I just purchased my daughter a leo from Gym Critter and she was very happy with the fit. She was able to pick her own fabric and went with a very lightweight fabric. Some of the fabrics out there are too heavy/tight from other companies so the fact that you can choose whatever you like from Gym Critter is great! She is also willing to work with you on sizing and slight alterations.

We didn't have good luck with Snowflake...too tight. And Melody was itchy inside...the way the designs were sewn on didn't work for my daughter.

the other ones she likes are K-Bee and Motionwear. Good fit and nice material.

My daughter has a longer torso.

Hope this helps.

You are exactly right... Both of my gymmies have long torsos and THAT is the measurement we have to fit. With an open back design, we can go with the lower of the 2 sizes we are between (YG can wear a CL with open back... a CM if it is velvet and open back). Have a great weekend.

We have this down to a science at our house :D It depends on the brand for us. She fits into an open back Motionwear leotard in the smaller size (MC - child medium). However in Melody, she wears an open back child large. Just curious...what brand makes a velvet open back leo? No meets this weekend so we get to relax a bit :) Have a great weekend too!!!

We have this down to a science at our house :D It depends on the brand for us. She fits into an open back Motionwear leotard in the smaller size (MC - child medium). However in Melody, she wears an open back child large. Just curious...what brand makes a velvet open back leo? No meets this weekend so we get to relax a bit :) Have a great weekend too!!!
I think it was Duck Crossing or something... I bought it off ebay... but I have seen a couple other girls in our gym with them before too, so there may be more companies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back