WAG Leotard regulations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

leotardmakermum

Proud Parent
As you might be able to tell from my screen name, I make most of my daughter's leotards. I use an excellent Jalie multisize pattern, which I would recommend to anyone (no affiliations etc!). I usually adapt the pattern to have different designs on the leotards. I really enjoy working with the stretchy fabrics and solving the problems associated with appliqueing with and onto stretch fabrics, while retaining the stretch.

My current design idea is that I would like to have a little ruched (gathered) panel inset on a leotard. This is just for a training leotard, so wouldn't be at any competitions. However, I am interested to know what the leotard regulations are in the Code of Points. Could anyone direct me to them, possibly?

Thanks.

There is a rule on how high cut on the hip the leotard can be, and maybe a "sleeve" width requirement (sleeveless leos are okay, but I think there might be a rule against spaghetti strap type leos- that might be a USAG thing, though). There also can't be brand names larger than a certain size. That's all that comes to mind right now.

Thanks. Are these things written down somewhere? I'd love to actually read it if possible, and wouldn't have a clue where to look. :)

your home governing body will have rules, like BG for us. I too use the Jalie patterns and they are great, and I have certainly seen leos with a ruched front, although this tends to be more a ballet thing over here. I make all Pink and Fluffy's leos and have made a few team leos too - top tip for appliques I have woked out, attach them with spray glue before zigzagging in place, stops too much slippage ;)

'Margo

In the New Zealand STEPs manual, the rules for leotards (which I believe are based on the FIG rules) are:

The gymnast must wear a correct sportive non-transparent leotard in club or representative colours as stipulated in GSNZ rules.
The neckline of the front and back of the leotard must be proper, that is no further than half of the sternum and no further than the lower line of the shoulder blades
Leotards may be with or without sleeves. If without sleeves, the shoulder strap width must be minimum 2 cm.
The leg cut of the leotard must not extend higher than the hip bone.
The leotard must be identical for members from the same team in a team competition. Gymnasts competing as individuals may wear different leotards.

Although it says non-transparent, I'm sure I have seen some with semi-transparent mesh, but only right at the top and/or the sleeves. I've occasionally seen girls compete in sleeveless leos, e.g. once when some girls had ordered comp leos that hadn't arrived in time, but it is not common. Training leotards with thin straps are very common. I've never seen any leos with ruching on, although when my DD first started training I got her some cheap leos that were jazz dance leos that were slightly gathered in the centre of the chest. I'm very impressed that you are able to make leotards!

The leg cut should not extend beyond the hip bone and the sleeves should be at least 2cms wide.

Thank you all for your feedback. I couldn't get the FIG COP pdfs to work on my phone so I'll try again when I'm at my computer.

The main thing I was hoping was that the ruched panel wouldn't cause coaches to say "that's dangerous, go and change into a proper leotard!" But if someone else has seen ruched panels, that sounds very promising.

Thanks to all.

Back in the '80s the very first Lycra Leo's were plain long sleeved with a ruch in the centre of the chest. Much like the dance Leo's mentioned, without the centre seam. They were made by carita house I think. I've never seen more than that on a Leo, as you say too much loose fabric would be a concern.

i make dd's Leo's using the jalie tank pattern too. I'm finding as word gets out I made them, people are asking me to make them some too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back