Parents Level 2 hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipnastic

Proud Parent
I have a 4 year old on level 2. I've seen several of y'all say your level 2 gymnasts practice more than 2 hrs/week. What's the norm?

We just started this gym, and they have an excellent track record of sending girls to college on scholarship, so I know it's a good gym. Just curious about everyone else's experiences.

Ours practice 6 hours, 3 hrs twice a week. But I don't think any of them are 4 year old, the youngest are 6 I believe. For 4 year old I would say 2 to 4 hrs a week is plenty.

For context, with a few exceptions (like talented siblings), the level 1 preteam at DD's gym starts accepting kids starting at age 5.

I'm going off of memory, but at this point in the cycle at DD's gym, they're currently all brand "new" to level 2 preteam, and they don't compete until level 3 - so they're some 1 yr 9 months out from competition. Our 2s train some 3-4 hours per week. Some select 2/3s do train an extra day.

For our area, overall, our girls tend to train less hours than would be considered average, but also tend to do better than average competitively. Fewer hours doesn't necessarily mean fewer medals. ;)

Two hours for a four year old seems fairly average, in my opinion.

OK, awesome! Yes, I was very happy with it two hours/week as I think it is perfect for my daughter. She does seem to be very talented, but we do not want to compete her until level three or four… Just because I feel like we will probably end up having many years of competition as much as she loves it. I do not want to burn her out and lose her sense of having fun. I was surprised to see several post to wear level two's seemed to be practicing quite a bit more than my daughter so just wanted to get others input! Thank you!

My started preteam at 4 1/2 and which was the beginning of summer and went 12 hrs. (4 days 3hrs each) It was intense but she did well. Now that school is in session she goes 6 hrs (3 days 2hrs each). She will compete level 2 next season.

My dd started preteam at 4 1/2 and which was the beginning of summer and went 12 hrs. (4 days 3hrs each) It was intense but she did well. Now that school is in session she goes 6 hrs (3 days 2hrs each). She will compete level 2 next season.

As your daughter is 4, that needs to be take. Into consideration too when comparing hours. You will probabaly find a 7 year old level 2 will do more hours than a 4 year old level 2. Also whether or not she is competing at level 2 will be a consideration. If she competes level 2 they need a little more time to perfect routines.

U.S. Level 2 is equivalent to our Level 3. The norm is usually between 4-9 hours a week if the kids are competing. Sometimes as low as 2, sometimes as many as 12.

My 7 year old Level 2 goes 3 hours x 3 times a week. Our gym doesn't do preschool pre-comp groups. 6 is the very youngest they take them and they start at 9 hours.

My dd did 6 hours a week (2 hours x 3 days). This year I heard the level 2's go 9 hours (3 hours x 3 days). She was 6 years old though and it was not preteam, they competed at all the same meets as the level 3-5's did.

As your daughter is 4, that needs to be take. Into consideration too when comparing hours. You will probabaly find a 7 year old level 2 will do more hours than a 4 year old level 2. Also whether or not she is competing at level 2 will be a consideration. If she competes level 2 they need a little more time to perfect routines.

U.S. Level 2 is equivalent to our Level 3. The norm is usually between 4-9 hours a week if the kids are competing. Sometimes as low as 2, sometimes as many as 12.
This makes complete sense. As much as she loves going to the gym, I can't imagine her wanting to spend more than she is now there at this time ... She says she wants to go more, but ultimately, I think she'd burn out if she did. I don't think she has the attention span yet! Lol! Thanks for the clarification

Dd gym does not train levels 1,2 or 3-A select group is invited to pre-team at ages 5-6, during that time the girls train level 4 skills and they attend six hours a week.

I think you have the right idea. My dd started rec gym at 3 years old. I didn't move her to a competitive gym program until she was almost 6. Then she started at 9 hours for old L4 (new L3). Her hours quickly went up after that......BUT she's been going for 20+ hours for 2 years now and still loving gym! She will be 10 soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back