WAG Level 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdog

Coach
This is mostly out of curiosity, but it seems like USAG ultimately wants more participants in level 1 and level 2 (makes sense from their standpoint). I'm not opposed to "future team members" doing a meet or two for fun and experience, but I'm not really into the level 2, 3, 4 Olympics, which is the way it inevitably goes - oh well.

Anyway, was wondering how many of you have gyms planning to do level 2. Do you think your state will have a state meet? Is level 2 more recreational and future Excel, or preteam?

My state had 2014 state meets planned last fall, and a level 2 state wasn't planned. On the other hand, many gyms are using the state version of Excel for their preteam to compete, and that state meet is growing out of control.

It is my understanding that our state (GA) will be doing competitions and state meet for level 2 and 3...

Our state competed and included old L3 in all meets including state. But, it is still up in the air as to whether or not L2 will be included this year. I'm guessing they will, as we are a sparsely populated state and the more bodies at a meet the better, financially any way.

L2 in our gym is both preteam and pre-excel. Depending on how a child does, they can be invited to either program.

My state (Nor Cal) had competitions but not a state meet for Level 3s last year. Rumor is they will do the same for L2 next year. With this in mind, my gym has added L2s to the team. They will compete in a few meets.

In the old code, L2 and L3 were huge in Florida with state championships held (though the only qualification requirement was to have competed in two sanctioned meet). I bet Florida will compete L1 and L2 next year.

In our state (arkansas), old level 4 was the lowest level for the state meet but level 2s and 3s competed at local/ regional events. The lowest level for next years state meet will probably be 3.

In our state, under the current levels, Level 3 competed up through district, so I assume Level 2 will do the same. We have North State/South State that start with current Level 4, then State starts with Level 5.

In our state, the lowest level competed has been L2, and there are states and all the regular meets at that level. So I assume next year, it will go that way with L1.

DD competed level 2 this year, including the state championship (around 8 teams competed in level 2 states). From the summer schedule I've seen for our gym, it appears they will make level 1 more pre-team oriented (hours are reduced from 4.5 hours a week this year to 2.5 hours this summer for level 1). It appears that current preteam girls will move to level 2 while DD's level 2 team (most of them) will skip to new L3.

In our state, Indiana, we competed old level 3 and they had state with level 4. Since old level 3 is new level 2, we were assuming that level 2 is going to compete as well. Our level 2 is our pre-team girls that just moved to team.

while our state has competed L2 and up in the past, it will be interesting to see what happens next year. I think only about 7 gyms had L2 teams at states this year, compared to 40-50 teams for L4 and L5 states.

My gym does not compete level 2. If you are age 5-8, they'll start competing you at 3. Most at my gym start at L4, but they started me at L5 because I'm 16. My state (GA) has a level 2 state competition, but my gym does not participate.

Our first level competed at state is L3. My understanding is that now it will be L2. I know our gym is planning on fielding an L2 team that will be comparable to our old L3 team.

Our gym only starts competing at Level 5. With the new program, that will change and we will start competing at Level 4.

We have the lower levels as "pre-team" invitational classes. They don't actually call them pre-team, but people know that you have to go through them to get onto the team, which starts at L5 [or new L4].

We have some level 3 last year and they can go to state for ribbons so I would imagine that it will now go to L2. Our gym did one year of 3 and decided to drop that level so now we start at new 3.

And it is my understanding that both L2 and L3 are still non-mobility required levels (like last year's L3 and L4), yes? So the first level that is required is L4 (like lat year's L5)?

Good discussion. So how many hours does "preteam" practice? I assume level 2 teams would only practice a few hours a week.

This year our L2s practiced 3 hours a week, and L3s and L4s practiced 7.5 hours a week. This was the first year we had a L2 team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back