WAG Level 4 beam question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ginger

Proud Parent
I don't know how it is called... Cross step? The steps that a gymnast takes after split jump/straight jump. I watched some youtube videos and noticed that 'righty' girls take the first step with their right leg, then cross behind with their left leg. However our L4 girls were taught just the opposite, so my righty DDs are doing the first step w/left leg and cross behind w/right one.
Is this optional or does a gymnast need to follow their righty/lefty pattern in this move? If not optional - what deduction would a gymnast get for doing it 'wrong way'?

DD's a lefty. In her L4 videos, She steps left after her straight jump. I don't think it's optional which leg to step with as compulsory routines detail everything. I don't know what the deduction would be.

According to L4 DD, righties step forward with right leg then cross the left leg behind. Lefties step forward with left leg and cross the right leg behind.

Looks awkward as Hades to me, but I don't get paid for my opinion. No clue on causes for deduction on this move, but I would love to hear.

@Ginger - I just had DD do that portion of the beam for me and there is another step after the cross step to position the girls to stand in releve. If you cross with your dominant leg, it seems that that puts your "bad" leg behind when you stand in relieve and passe.

Righties:
Step right leg - cross step left leg - step right leg - left leg comes in front of right in releve.

DD was taught the way everyone is explaining; she's a lefty, so...... step left, right goes behind, step left.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back