level 4 deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey all! I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. My daughter just turned 7 and is a level 4 gymnast. The last skill of her floor routine (roundoff back handsprings) she lands probably 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time she lands on her shins. My question is: If she lands on her shins, is it considered a "fall" and what is the deduction? OR, would it be better (point-wise) for her to have a spotter to ensure she lands it? What is the deduction for a spotter??

Any help?

Hey all! I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. My daughter just turned 7 and is a level 4 gymnast. The last skill of her floor routine (roundoff back handsprings) she lands probably 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time she lands on her shins. My question is: If she lands on her shins, is it considered a "fall" and what is the deduction? OR, would it be better (point-wise) for her to have a spotter to ensure she lands it? What is the deduction for a spotter??

Any help?

If any part of her body touches the mat, its a fall--doesn't matter if its just fingertips or she's sitting on her butt. So, landing her bhs(?) on her shins is .5 off plus any form issues---bent legs, legs apart. I believe its .5 off to have her coach on the floor to spot her.

If she lands on her shins the skill is considered "incomplete", as you must land on your feet to complete the backhandspring. The deduction for incomplete element is "up to the value of the element." The backhandspring in the L4 routine is worth .6, so I would take .2 as she completed the majority of the skill. I'm sure there is an argument for taking the full .6 similar to how we do on beam with missing feet on a backwalkover/cartwheel/handstand, however, I do believe with the L4 backhandspring that getting to the shins is essentially completeing the skill...so I only take a small deduction. In addition to the "incomplete element deduction" she would also receive a .5 deduction for the fall and any additional execution deductions (bent legs, bent arms, etc.) which I'm assuming would be plentiful if she is ending up on her shins.

With a spot the deductions are: .5 for the spot + the value of the element .6 + any execution deductions. So she will lose a flat 1.1 plus bent legs, arms, lack of rebound, no stick, etc.

So, it has the potential to end up pretty much the same if the judge chooses to take the entire element deduction for incomplete element. However, at least in my area in Region 5, most judges would give the gymnast credit for completing more than 1/2 of the skill and only take .2+.5(fall)+execution.

If I haven't completely confused you, I hope I've helped.

deductions

So...does anyone know where I can find the actually point deductions, and what they are deducted for on each activity (vault, beam, floor and bars)???

Honestly you would drive yourself nuts trying to read all of that. There is alot of terminology that most of us parents don't get. The one most parents know is a fall is -.5. After going to a few meets you'll be able to tell a really good routine from an average one.

Go to the meet, watch your dd try her best and don't worry about checking the rules for deductions. If your gym hosts a meet, volunteer to work on the floor. Thats a great place to listen to the judges discuss skills/routines and you'll learn alot.

Just be thankful you are in the US - a fall anywhere else is 1 whole mark.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back