level 4 floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There have been some big transitions at our gym with the old level 4 coach leaving and a new coach taking over the 4's. I come in on nights the 5/6's practice and supervise their stretching, conditioning, and drill stations. With the change, I will be helping out the 4's as well.
My question is about the kickover in the USAG floor routine level 4. On the disc with words, they say lay down, bridge up, kick over. However on the website, it shows a backbend kickover. Is either aloud? or Which is the correct skill?

Hi,
There is a handstand to bridge kickover in the level 4 routine. I am pretty sure that you are thinking of the level 3 routine where they lay down and go up into a bridge. You can see both routines on Youtube if you would like. Hope this helps

Sorry I was rushing to write that post and not thinking clearly I guess! Within our level 4 training group there are the ones old enough and ready enough to compete, which they have been. We also have a few others who are not ready/ some that are not old enough. For the time being they have been just practicing with us. For this second group of girls we want to take them to an unsanctioned fun "meet"/ "show" were they will be doing the level 3 routines.
So yes you were absolutley right, I did mean the level 3 USAG floor routine!

Which is correct or is either alowed?... lay down, bridge, kickover as said on the disc or backbend kickover like what is on the videos from USAG website? While youtube is great, I would like to get an answer from a coach/ judge so I know it is correct. Not everything on youtube is always reliable. Thank's for catching my mistake!

L3 is push up to bridge and then kick over. It used to be from standing but it was changed.

Hope this helps & good luck

On what website?

We don't compete L3 but I'm almost sure that it is from laying down, they push into bridge. This was changed from a back bend kickover about two years ago. At this time the "bridging" elements in all the lower compulsory levels changed with the bridges being removed from L1 and 2. L3 was changed from a back bend into a bridge up.

If you check out the "Rules" tab on the USAG website in the "Womens" section, there is a tab labled JO Compulsories. Here is the link :: USA Gymnastics :: Women's JO Compulsory Book Updates

This is always the best place to look if you think there might have been a change in the routines or you are seeing something new.

You will see a revised text portion posted in 2007, it has the change for the Level 3 floor. You will be able to see the wording for the skill (which is always the important part to know...not necessarily the pictures or the videos) as well as the deductions associated with it. It is a bridge to kickover, change effective in 2007.

At my daughters' gym the L3s are doing whichever they are capable. Most of the ones competing in the home/state meet are capable of doing the backbend, but a couple of girsl are laying down and bridging up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back