Parents Level 5 Meet Report - First Meet at New Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Everyone,

Keep in mind this meet is a Mock meet for a group of gyms in the area. Scoring was tough, but fair. They were tough on everyone. Kayla had an awesome meet. Her best friend (former teammate) and her best friends Mom (who is one of my best friends attended).

She was more nervous than usual and I think that was because now that she was being coached, the pressure was really on her (from herself) to do well.

The judge for beam is one of her former coaches (a really good coach) from level 4 and that made her a little more nervous, I think on beam. Plus beam was unfortunately her first event. We all hate when beam is first!

She made it through cleanly, but was very cautious. She scored a 9.00.

Next up was floor. At old gym she did not have a FHS without a big sit. Also did not have ROBHSBHS (was stopping between BHS's which was a new thing after being taught back tucks without a strong BHS). Anyway, she had a great FHS (she rebounded so much (new for her) that she kicked her leg out a bit, but had straight legs and a straight body in the FHS so we were thrilled)). Her leaps were beautiful and I always love her dance. She scored an 8.6.

Next was vault. 8 weeks ago, (and for the past year in her old gym) she did not go over the table. Her coach really took a step back and worked her through her fears. She had a decent run and on her first attempt she bounced once on the table but had nice body position. Her second attempt, she bounced and walked. But both attempts she made it over the table so we were thrilled!!! Scored a 7.3 which is her personal best on FHS vault. I'm sure higher scores are to come!

Finally, she finished on bars. Her kips are so much better. She looks overall so much stronger on bars. Still needs connections and more dynamics, but she is a work in progress. Scored a 7.7.

Awards: (She hasn't gotten many of these in the past).

Beam - 3rd Place (9.00)
Floor - Tied for 3rd Place (8.60)
AA - 5th Place (32.65)

Honestly, she looked shocked & happy to be up there. She has so much to be proud of.

The video from the meet is on my Youtube Channel (can always get to this via my signature on my posts). YouTube - mtbmom's Channel

Thank you everyone for your support!

Last edited:
Nice scores and placements. Her beam and floor are lovely and it is easy to see her strength there, I am sure those scores will go up quickly with each meet and more confidence. Vault will come too, nice that she got over it.

Great job.

Great Job!!! WTG on getting over the table, her scores are only going to get higher from here on out :)

She did great! I am sure it is wonderful seeing her out there conquering her issues and improving on things she was struggling with. I have never seen short sleeved leos before, cute!! Looks like the new gym will be such a good thing for her. It is always great to know you have made the right decision when switching gyms.

She really does have beautiful dance on floor! Such gorgeous leaps and beautiful lines. And that was a really really nice fhs. I'm sure her scores will continue to go up as she gains confidence. Good for her overcoming so much in such a short time. She is going to have a great L5 season. I like the short sleeved leos too!

Thanks everyone. The short sleeved leos were for the mock meet and other not so formal events. They have a long sleeve competition for leo. As it was, she was wearing a borrowed short sleeve leo as hers wasn't finished yet.

She is on cloud nine. It is so nice to see her succeed.

Very nice job! I can see that she'll just get better and better on vault now that she's getting over her fear there. Looking forward to watching her improve :)

Great video *subscribed*

She should be proud :)
What a great day for her!!

And oh my goodness that leap on floor was completely wowow!!

Pixie struggles with vault as well. I know how evil it is, haha! Wtg, on her personal best score. That should go a long way in building her confidence in going over.

Great video *subscribed*

She should be proud :)
What a great day for her!!

And oh my goodness that leap on floor was completely wowow!!

Pixie struggles with vault as well. I know how evil it is, haha! Wtg, on her personal best score. That should go a long way in building her confidence in going over.

Yeah, I don't know how she leaps like that! I watched your Pixie as well. She really rocked Level 4. Should we be expecting a level 5 meet vid soon???

Thanks for your kid words.

She did beautifully! Beautiful FHS!:) I bet it felt so good to see her do that, and the nice ROBHSBHS...and to get over that table!:D I love that she is on cloud nine...hope she stays there for awhile!:D

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate each and every post. I'm sitting here crying because I know how much she struggled to get here. And I'm so happy that she is finally feeling comfortable with what she is doing. It is also so nice for her to see that her hard work is really paying off. I'm really looking forward to a successful season for her.

Her next meet isn't until December so I'm sure she will be busy getting ready for that!

Wow!! Great routines!!! I love the leo--she looks like a little ballerina! Her flexibility and extension is just gorgeous--her legs look like they go on for miles and her arm movements on beam are just so elegant and balletic. My dd has struggled with fear (and still does) so I know how frustrating that can be! But watching your dd makes me so proud of these little ones that work so hard and push through no matter what. I am so glad that she is working through her fear and is sticking with the sport because she really is a joy to watch--so beautiful!

I subscribed to your channel too!!! (flyergymgirl125)

She looks great ecspecailly floor and beam but I think her bars looked nice too. I am glad she was able to get some medals for all her hard work and for sticking in there. I think it means so much more for the girls who really work hard and things just do not come as easy for them. I quess I am prejudiced since my daughter is like that she really struggled with her fhs and bhs compared to the rest of the group. For some reason vault and bars were not that hard for her at 5. I like how your gym does a mock meet with other gyms and that you can watch. A couple years ago we had a mock meet with just our gym and parents could not watch. I think the parents watching the mock meet helps with the parents anxiety.I think you are in for a very sucessful year. I bet that other parent who told you should have taken your daughter out of the sport will feel very silly when she sees your daughters video. Kudos to you for supporting your daughter and finding the right gym for her.

Wow Sue, she looks fantastic!! She's come a long way since I first saw her. Isn't it amazing what a little change can do!?! She should float on cloud 9 for a long time! :cloud9: She did a great job! Oh, and I love the music you set your video to. How appropriate!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back