Level 7 beam mount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twoofthem

Is it worth doing a press handstand mount vs something safer? Dd coach wants her to do this in her routine and someone said it was a too risky to chance a fall for a mount.

At L7 only 2 B valued skills are required, which typically come from a split jump and a BHS. I personally as a judge and a coach dislike press handstand mounts at L7. There are no composition deductions, so judges can't just score the routine higher because it has a harder mount, so why risk it?

Same as above, my gym usually only has girls do press handstands when they can do it as easy as a forward roll. I.E., the TOPs girls who can do like 10 in a row do press mounts. Everybody else does a jump to handstand or a run and jump up. There's one girl (L8 or 9) who is super strong and flexible, and she's did a press handstand, reverse straddle planche lower-down, but only did a press up in competition. Another trained a press handstand, full pirouette, step down but competed a regular press.

Thanks guys. My dd really does not want to do this mount, it's the first time she's ever had an issue doing something that was asked. She wants to spend her time working on her bwo-bhs, which was what she wanted in this routine. I'll pass the info along to her.

She doesn't need it, but if she is good at presses she isn't likely to fall. My dd competed Level 7 this past season with a press hs mount. She never fell on her mount.

My DD did this mount in L7. I cannot help but wonder if my DD's beam scores were influenced by the more impressive mount. With less preparation (she was moved up to L7 two weeks before the meet), she got a 9.550 at her first L7 meet with a wobble on her full turn and backhandspring. At states, she got an 8.975 with a fall and a huge wobble (almost another fall). She has gotten as high as 9.875 on her L7 beam. In her previous levels, she could not get past a 9.450. I am not diminishing the quality of my DD's beam routines as she does beautiful beam routines but I just wondered from a human nature standpoint, when a judge sees a more difficult routine, do they not assume the gymnast is good and is more willing to give higher scores?

Personally, I am a risk taker and so is my DD. So I would go with the press to HS mount especially if the coach recommended it. I will say, since my DD uses the press to handstand at her beam routine, she has gotten so proficient at it. She can now crank 10 no problem. And since this skill is tremendously helpful in gymnastics as a whole, it certainly pays to master the skill. But if your DD does not want to do this mount, that should be taken into consideration as well.

My DD did this mount in L7. I cannot help but wonder if my DD's beam scores were influenced by the more impressive mount. With less preparation (she was moved up to L7 two weeks before the meet), she got a 9.550 at her first L7 meet with a wobble on her full turn and backhandspring. At states, she got an 8.975 with a fall and a huge wobble (almost another fall). She has gotten as high as 9.875 on her L7 beam. In her previous levels, she could not get past a 9.450. I am not diminishing the quality of my DD's beam routines as she does beautiful beam routines but I just wondered from a human nature standpoint, when a judge sees a more difficult routine, do they not assume the gymnast is good and is more willing to give higher scores?

Personally, I am a risk taker and so is my DD. So I would go with the press to HS mount especially if the coach recommended it. I will say, since my DD uses the press to handstand at her beam routine, she has gotten so proficient at it. She can now crank 10 no problem. And since this skill is tremendously helpful in gymnastics as a whole, it certainly pays to master the skill. But if your DD does not want to do this mount, that should be taken into consideration as well.

I'm a risk taker too and I would *love* her to do this mount because it looks so impressive..but it is up to her and the coach so I guess we will see. I told her there is something to be said if her coach wants this, last year of the 15ish lvl 7 girls, only one did a press hs mount. She has 17 girls on her team and maybe 3, including her, could pull this off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back