Level 8 Bar Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2 Questions.

• If a gymnast does a cast to handstand clear hip to handstand would the skill be voided because it is a C?
  • What degree Clear hips are the judges looking for? Horizontal? 45 Degrees above ?
My DD is getting conflicting information.

Thanks!

No, clear hip to hs is an allowable C at Level 8. So its the cast hs 1/2 pirouette. The new angle requirements are stricter w/ the degree of completion of all cast and circles that should go to hs. If a clear hip is w/ in 10 degrees of hs, its no deduction (for the angle- there might be execution deductions, etc). And them if its 20 from hs, its .10 deduction, then as ithe clear hip gets smaller, the deductions get larger. (So, yes, in a way its expected to hit handstand.)

Thank you, that helps to clear things up. Beetle was under the impression if she did her clearhip to a HS she would have a voided skill.

to clarify, in order to count a Clear hip as a B skill it has to hit 45 degrees above horizontal, correct?

This might clear things up. This is the exact wording on my Angle Chart for Amplitude of Circling Elements.

0-10 degrees from verticle - C value - No Deductions
11-20 degrees from verticle - C value - .05-.1
21-45 degrees from verticle - B value - No Deductions
46 - Horizontal - B value - .05-.2
Below Horizontal - A value

I should clarify the values I listed above are for clear hips, not all circling elements:)

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack your post Kristi..

gympanda or anyone else

got a questions..... is the .3 deduction on all cast not to hs or does just one neeed to be to hs??

We had a judge in last week and I was unclear about that rule

Thanks

The UP to .3 deduction is applicable to every cast done in an optional bar routine, not just one. (Though I think there is still some confusion if that applies to Prep Ops.) So, as I happen to have my angle chart handy right now, here are the deductions as they apply for EACH cast in an optional bar routine (with the exception of before a squat on, or into a bail in L8)

0-10 degrees from vertical - B value - No Deduction
11-20 degrees from vertical- B value - .05 flat deduction
21-30 degrees from vertical- NO Value - .1 flat deduction
31-45 degrees from vertical- NO Value - .15-.20
46 degress and below - NO value - .25-.3
Below Horizontal - A value

So, here is an example of a lower L8 routine I saw last weekend kip, cast to horizontal (NO value & .3 angle deduction), free hip to horizontal (B value & .2 deduction), kip squat on, long hang kip, cast to 30 degrees from vertical (NO credit & .1 deduction), giant, giant, full flyaway. (Obviously missing a SR & a B skill, but hopefully this gets you the point.)

The cast rules apply to all optional levels, including L7. (In my state, prep-opt does not go by these rules, though!)

Like gymkat says the casts apply to L7 & up, as do the clear hip deductions. The new requirements for L7 bars this year require one "B" circling element and one clear circling element from Gps 3,6,or7. This change was made so kids who don't have their clear hip above horizontal will still receive the clear circling element special requirement since there is no value associated with the requirement.

Hope I'm making sense:)

Sorry to turn this around a bit, but level 7 is not allowed any C's, correct? And if a gymnast casts to handstand and clear hips to handstand does that VOID the routine or give a deduction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back