WAG Level 8 Vault Changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

because it's all about the yurchenko. But! now that the NCAA is devaluing the Chenko Full, we will see what happens.

So I think I've asked this before--but why don't they do a Yurchenko timer in L8? I think I have seen this in a video of a Canadian competition.

because it's all about the yurchenko. But! now that the NCAA is devaluing the Chenko Full, we will see what happens.

Dare I ask what that means? I have seen a lot of Tsuks being trained in the gym... Which is not the norm?

So I think I've asked this before--but why don't they do a Yurchenko timer in L8? I think I have seen this in a video of a Canadian competition.
I remember on another thread a coach commented that timers aren't competed because during a really good timer a gymnast should already begin rotating well before landing and would land on their back. Any other way would be coaching bad habits. That stuck with me because I had that same question you do.

Who knows .. Should be in level 7. But watching how they judge handsprings (which are handspring front timers) I don't think it's advisable....

My dd is competing Level 8 this season, so this thread really interests me. My question is about "voided" vaults. I have seen many Level 8 meets, and have seen quite a few girls land on their hands and knees. They typically received scores 7-8.25, not 0. I have actually never seen a zero score yet. Ever. How does someone receive a zero? I thought there was a courtesy score of 1? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Thank goodness at our gym, the girls do timers and practice vaults leading up to Yurchenkos for 3/4 years before competing them. Mine is doing piked Yurchenko, and I'm not worried at all. May not be a perfect vault, but will be completely safe! I do agree seeing girls flip vaults who are not ready is scary !

Exactly,that's how it is now and it think they should come up with some clearer guidelines to change that. If these vaults were getting voided they wouldn't be out there period. I think landing on hands simultaneously should be voided but now it's usually given as benefit of the doubt. Landing on knees should definitely be voided under current rules, but sometimes feet hit first. Maybe it should be void if knees touch forward at all. I can see why this would get tricky because of people arguing technicalities but I feel like we could develop some kind of straightforward thing,

I saw a couple voided vaults the last two seasons so it has at least occasionally been done previously. Knees hit first.

I know that knees first is not good but it's the one's flipping right next to the table that make me gasp.

Well you can do 2 vaults still so I would imagine a lot of people including myself will be doing the same, unless they hit that first vault. I really don't see this as a big change, except everybody is going to blame the coach if the kids trashes the second vault from here on out.... I see this rule creating nothing but problems in the parent/coach area...

Yes...stupid rule...just pick a number...everyone does 1 or everyone does 2.

Or do something real...2nd vault only from a different family for bonus!

Yes...stupid rule...just pick a number...everyone does 1 or everyone does 2.

Or do something real...2nd vault only from a different family for bonus!
= It would be nice to see level 10 offer a second vault only if it was a different family and the highest score counts. But again, too many injuries will be the main reason why they won't. Soooo, the shortest event just got shorter. :)

I remember on another thread a coach commented that timers aren't competed because during a really good timer a gymnast should already begin rotating well before landing and would land on their back. Any other way would be coaching bad habits. That stuck with me because I had that same question you do.

no reason you can't compete a timer to back on a mat stack

Yeah, I wish that when they changed the levels last, they had adopted an option (or requirement, if moving mats is too much of a pain) to do some sort of timer at L7.

I have seen my share of scary level 8 vaults - including my own dd, even after vaulting a tsuk for over a year she had some scary moments last season where I was so grateful to the coach who caught her in warmups. Never been so happy to see my dd scratch an event. I like the changes.

I have seen my share of scary level 8 vaults - including my own dd, even after vaulting a tsuk for over a year she had some scary moments last season where I was so grateful to the coach who caught her in warmups. Never been so happy to see my dd scratch an event. I like the changes.

LOL, I have video of DD completely botching a Yurchenko (it's not supposed to be a headspring off the table) -- there's a coach from another team in the background who looks like he's on the verge of having a heart attack and he visibly exhibits relief when DD pops up and gives her rueful salute.

Sorry, Mr. Unknown Coach!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back