Level 8 vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

grips

Help! Not getting the level 8 vault before 1st meet and will compete fr. hnd. spr.
is this very common at first year level 8?
My dd has always gone into comp. season prepared until this year. i just wonder if its her or just level 8 transition? Any thoughts?:confused:

a front handspring is what they do to be safe while they prepare another vault for another day. it's as common and practical as toilet paper! don't fret, she'll eventually learn a more difficult and challenging vault.

fyi...as the kids move on up they also learn a 2nd back up vault. the back up vault can be timely when a primary vault gets tempermental and goes bad...like about 30 seconds before they have to compete it!~:)~

thanks so much for the reply and advice. i feel much better and my daughter will too.
its always good to get as much as advice and comments as possible. :)

This is very common, only two girls in level 8 competed a flipping vault last year.

The level 8 vault is very hard to master. We have several first year level 8 that don't have it yet. Even the second years struggle sometimes.

Just out of curiosity, what vaults do most level 8s compete? I'll be competing level 7 next year and I don't know if I'll ever make it to level 8, but I'd still like to know. I can do drills for a handspring full or a tucked tsuk into the pit pretty well, and obviously I've got a lot of time to get it ready for competition...around, ya know, two years to forever...

Very common, saw them at state and regionals!! They often beat the flipping vaults. Question: Why don't gymnasts compete at least a 1/2-on in level 7 to get them ready to flip it in level 8? It is such a huge jump and you have to do a pike to start from a 10.0!! That's my 2 cents worth, with change. :)

I think pretty much all L7s do a FHS because they've been training it for at least 2-3 years and it's the simplest vault, doesn't get as many deductions and starts out of a 10. However, at my gym we spend a lot of time uptraining vaults for L8...we just don't compete them.

Question: Why don't gymnasts compete at least a 1/2-on in level 7 to get them ready to flip it in level 8? It is such a huge jump and you have to do a pike to start from a 10.0!! That's my 2 cents worth, with change. :)

A 1/2 on to a stick on a competition surface is exactly what you don't want to learn for a flipping vault. Gymnasts should be working tsuks and Yurchenkos by doing entries, blocking, and landing on their backs on raised mats above the height of the table. In theory, a gymnast should really only be able to "stick" a 1/2 on if the mats are seriously (like, 3+ feet) above the height of the table.

Last edited:
A 1/2 on to a stick on a competition surface is exactly what you don't want to learn for a flipping vault. Gymnasts should be working tsuks and Yurchenkos by doing entries, blocking, and landing on their backs on raised mats above the height of the table. In theory, a gymnast should really only be able to "stick" a 1/2 on if the mats are seriously (like, 3+ feet) above the height of the table.

I agree. Actually, when we do a round off over the table during the warm-up we are specifically told to block and NOT try to land or stick. I haven't seen any land a good 1/2 on and block at the same time.

What I saw at Sand Dollar (Wide World of Sports-Disney) today were tsuks, and the highest scoring one was piked....we have one girl that does the FHS because she was injured last year and lost her tsuk, and I think this is used when the gymnast is training the tsuk and just not ready to do it yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back