Level 9 release moves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

1) difference between a bar change and a release move with regards to level 9

2) what type of release moves and/or bar changes fulfill the L9 requirements.

3) my daughter is definitely moving to L9 this year. But it seems standard procedure of our gym to just move kids up even if they don't have the skills. I guess they feel if they are only missing one or two skills it is o.k. My daughter has not learned or been taught any release moves yet. Her L8 routine was The standard pirouete low bar to free hip to handstand and two giants in the high bar. If possible, can someone please explain the jump from L8 to L9 bars and if learning the required L9 bar skills takes a long time to learn. I know it varies from gymnast. to gymnast. But if you can give some personal experiences and/or situations you've heard of as far as struggles and successes. Thank you.

To those who have seen me post one concern after another about our gym and coaches, I apologize. My daughter is still in the same gym. But i am hopeful next year we can move. My son will be driving, hopefully, and he can help with the driving of my other kids so I can make the trek to a farther better gym. In the interim, we have to get through this next season.

I am not sure how much help I can be as my daughter is moving to Level 9 this year. This is the bar routine that she will be competing:

Release move=Shootover
1/2 Pirouette on high bar
Giants, and I am sure there is a clear hip HS in there as well.
double back dismount.

I do not know the order as I have never seen her do a full routine yet. I have just seen the pieces.

It seems to me the jump from L8 to L9 bars is big and I can't imagine my Dd having her routine competition ready for many, many more months.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

1) difference between a bar change and a release move with regards to level 9

2) what type of release moves and/or bar changes fulfill the L9 requirements.

3) my daughter is definitely moving to L9 this year. But it seems standard procedure of our gym to just move kids up even if they don't have the skills. I guess they feel if they are only missing one or two skills it is o.k. My daughter has not learned or been taught any release moves yet. Her L8 routine was The standard pirouete low bar to free hip to handstand and two giants in the high bar. If possible, can someone please explain the jump from L8 to L9 bars and if learning the required L9 bar skills takes a long time to learn. I know it varies from gymnast. to gymnast. But if you can give some personal experiences and/or situations you've heard of as far as struggles and successes. Thank you.

To those who have seen me post one concern after another about our gym and coaches, I apologize. My daughter is still in the same gym. But i am hopeful next year we can move. My son will be driving, hopefully, and he can help with the driving of my other kids so I can make the trek to a farther better gym. In the interim, we have to get through this next season.

a bar change is when you go from high to low or low to high. a release move is when you let go of the bar and recatch on the same bar, like a geinger. but a skill like a shaposh can be both and fulfill the requirement.

counter swing, pak or bail takes care of the bar change. or a jump off the board over the low catch high. and a level 9 can do any big release move also like a geinger, jaeger, etc;

a bar change is when you go from high to low or low to high. a release move is when you let go of the bar and recatch on the same bar, like a geinger. but a skill like a shaposh can be both and fulfill the requirement.

counter swing, pak or bail takes care of the bar change. or a jump off the board over the low catch high. and a level 9 can do any big release move also like a geinger, jaeger, etc;

Thanks for that distinction on bar change and release, dunno. It feels good to finally know the difference. As for the other skills you mentioned, I'll have to look them up in youtube to see their difficulty level.

I am just a littke nervous if she'll get her skills. There was a friend of my daughter in her same level last season who could not connect her bar skills and kept dumping her foot to the mat after her piroutte. And this made for such a frustrating season for this girl. This girl is also going to Level 9. My daughter's bars are not bad, scoring in the low 9s. But her free hip to handstand is pretty archy. Just got to hope for the best.

Lastly, dunno or anyone, can you please tell me what you think is the most useful, progressive release and/or bar change, if any. Also what would be the easiest to learn and what would be the most useless.
Thanks

It depends on the gymnast and what the coaches can coach/spot. I have my kids start playing around with drills in Level 6/7-then by the time they get to 8/9 it pretty much shows what they are good at. There are a lot of variables....for instance I dont go the pak route w bigger kids (I cant really spot them safely) or kid sthat dont ahve areally strong pirouette. Not to be a downer, but if your dd is going level 9 she should hae been working on something already......

is the most useful, progressive release and/or bar change, if any. Also what would be the easiest to learn and what would be the most useless.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

As far as bar to bar releases, it all depends on the kid...it took my daughter a few years to definitely get her overshoot to handstand , but it's beautiful now so it was worth the effort. For same bar release, she got her Tkatchev and her Yeager in a week (not the same week) but was never able to do a Gienger (and still can't)...her original coaches started with the Gienger and were convinced she's "never do a release" but when we moved gyms a few years ago, the coach switched her to Tkatchev , and problem solved. There's so many releases out there...your daughter and her coach will just need to figure out which suits her best.

I'm in the same shoes as you, my dd is training to make the jump from 8 to 9 this year. Our successful level 9's last year competed kip chs, toe hand, toe hect, kip cast handstand, 1/2 pirouette, bail, kip cast squat on, kip cast handstand, giant, giant double back. My dd is training to put a stalder in instead of a toe hand and she is also hoping to add her blind and front giant in, but we'll see if she gets the blind. I think the skill requirements are not as hard as the combinations to get the .3 in bonus to get the 10 start value, but that is just what my dd tells me, so that might be her opinion and not fact.

Best of luck!

P.S. I've officially decided Level 9 bars scares me to death.

There is a big jump from level 8 to level 9 because of the bar change. I, as a coach, choose to start teaching bar changes in level 7 doing drills on the side. In level 8 I have my girls physically do the release with me spotting. This allows the girls to have 2 years of getting familiar with the technique instead of 2 months of summer training than 4 months of training during the beginning of the school year before meet season. However, every coach has their own philosophy. I do understand that it could be very frustrating for a girl to go from no bar changes then having to learn bar change, small release (Chinese sit up), and double back dismount. This is when the parent has to do their research and find the gym that best fit their child needs and future goals. It looks like your daughter bar routine was what I called the maximum level 8 routine, so it’s evident that the coach is doing something right; however, I personally don’t allow any of my gymnasts to compete missing skills, but it is OK to compete and not have the full start value. Remember sometimes your child will compete against second or even third year level 9’s, so think about the future goal or the ending result you want to achieve which is ultimately going to level 10 not winning level 9.

Some gymnasts will split the baby and compete an uphill release before they have a downhill release. This routine satisfies the L9 release requirement, but not the 2 bar change requirement. This half-way routine can start from a 9.2-9.5, however, and allow the gymnast a competitive routine for the AA.

Common bonus at L9 to satisfy the .3 that will take you to a 10.00 include adding a circling element immediately before any of the releases/dismounts, a blind/front giant, performing two circles in a row or adding a half pirouette immediately before any release/dismount.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back