Parents Levels vs. Excel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
My daughter is training for bronze excel but likely could compete level 3 if offered at our gym.(according to her coach) The coach feels like she is one of the best on the team and she started months after the other girls. How do levels compare to excel? Is level 3 like bronze and level 4 like silver? At 7 she likes to do many other sports besides gymnastics but always says gymnastics is her favorite. Of course I would love her to get a college scholarship one day but that is a long ways away and I realize the chances are slim. I want her to have fun right now but I don't want her bored on bronze. She already has all of bronze skills so I am wondering if she would be a better candidate for level 3. Any advice? Thoughts on this?

Are you saying that your gym offers Level 3 and your daughter has the choice to do either 3 or bronze? Or that your gym only does bronze but coach feels she would be strong enough for level 3 if she wanted to (at another gym)? Does your gym have higher level girls (level 8+). You are in a state where some of the gyms use xcel instead of level 2-5, then they test the girls out and they compete regular JO for levels 6+. So you could be in one of those gyms but without knowing specifics, it's hard to answer your question about what is better for her.

xcel levels have such a wide range of skill options that the levels overlap. bronze is typically level 2/3, silver 3/4, gold 4/5, platinum 5-7, and diamond 7+. You will see some gyms complete the absolute minimum skills required and you will see others who push the upper limit.

If she has college gymnastics as her goal, Xcel will not get her there. She will have to move to the JO (levels as you refer to it) track at some point at that will mean competing or scoring out of the JO levels.

Are you saying that your gym offers Level 3 and your daughter has the choice to do either 3 or bronze? Or that your gym only does bronze but coach feels she would be strong enough for level 3 if she wanted to (at another gym)? Does your gym have higher level girls (level 8+). You are in a state where some of the gyms use xcel instead of level 2-5, then they test the girls out and they compete regular JO for levels 6+. So you could be in one of those gyms but without knowing specifics, it's hard to answer your question about what is better for her.

xcel levels have such a wide range of skill options that the levels overlap. bronze is typically level 2/3, silver 3/4, gold 4/5, platinum 5-7, and diamond 7+. You will see some gyms complete the absolute minimum skills required and you will see others who push the upper limit.

I am saying her coach feels like she would be strong enough to compete l3 but our gym offers the xcel program until level 6. xcel is 6 hours a week and l3 (her friend takes at another gym so we know a few details is 9 hours). My daughter competed L2 for one meet last season.

I am saying her coach feels like she would be strong enough to compete l3 but our gym offers the xcel program until level 6. xcel is 6 hours a week and l3 (her friend takes at another gym so we know a few details is 9 hours). My daughter competed L2 for one meet last season.
Would your gym consider letting her compete Silver instead of Bronze (or moving up mid-season). We have girls that went from L3 straight into Gold, so she could be a candidate for Silver. If you PM me a list of her skills, I can tell you where she would be (Min vs Max Xcel divisions AND JO levels).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back