Off Topic Lice!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipz

Coach
Judge
So we have just found at a child had lice while she was in her recreational class yesterday. What are some ways you have gotten rid of lice in pits? Any help will be appreciated.

Here is a god link. head lice

Lice and their eggs can live a long time off the hosts body. Getting them out of the gym will not be easy. I assume all parents in the gym have been notified and the host has been ordered out untilt hse has a clean bill of health?

Yikes! Lice is a tricky thing to deal with when it's just in hair and on clothes, I can't even imagine where to start in a gym where there are so many little crevices to clean and sanitize.
I would suggest reading through the link Bog sent and maybe organizing some dedicated volunteers to do a thorough gym cleaning.

oh my! I would think the best thing to do is not use the pit for the time frame that lice can live off the host. Longer just to be sure. but you still will have to treat it. What do people do when it is in their homes and they can't wash/dry the objects, like couches? There has to be a spray or bomb that gets rid of them.

I just want to say that it's hysterical that there are now lice removing ads on this thread. Gotta love google ads. :).

oh my! I would think the best thing to do is not use the pit for the time frame that lice can live off the host. Longer just to be sure. but you still will have to treat it. What do people do when it is in their homes and they can't wash/dry the objects, like couches? There has to be a spray or bomb that gets rid of them.

I've copied a great website below. I'm a teacher and this is the site that our school nurse uses for families. Also, I've been there with my own daughter. It's not the end of the world and all the cleaning is over the top!

Lice crawl from head to head ...they like a food source and hold tight to the person's head, trying not to fall off into your pit :)

That being said, there is no need to overreact or stop using your pit!

The bug can live off the host for 48 hours at most. Without a food source, it will die after that.
And yes, it is possible, though unlikely, that an egg will hatch if it has fallen off the hair shaft.

What you have to do is consider the odds....one or two bugs have fallen off said child into, say, the pit. The odds that another child will come into contact with that bug are slim!!

I would notify the families of children in that class. They are likely very used to getting letters like this from school.

Vacuum your gym floor if that makes you feel better :)

Here's the reality...the child had lice at least the previous week and you didn't do anything different in your gym.

Don't overreact.

The child who has the lice should be treated and the parent should continue checking for a month! that is key!

www.headlice.org

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
They will dry out by 48 hours. Probably before. IF they ever left her head. Pesticides in the pit ... oh that would be awful.

People walk around with head lice all the time, and it's rarely spread on surfaces. Think about movie theaters.

That being said, whenever I hear about there being lice anywhere near my kids, I absolutely soak my kids in coconut oil and make them run around like that (DD in braids) until things get under control. I also hear that putting them in braids and using a generous amount of hair spray will have the same effect. Lice don't recognize the head thus treated, as a potential victim. They just don't go there. Same with tea tree oil products -- the hair doesn't smell like hair.

actually, lice can't live in a gym in and of themselves. don't worry about the pit.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back