Life out side of the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
i was just wondering if any of you gymnasts miss doing things that "normal" teenagers do because you have gym all the time. I don't have this issue because i only train 10hrs a week but those of you who train more do you find you are missing out on something like shopping, make up, parties and stuff like that, i know we all wouldn't give up gym for that but do you ever feel like your missing out.

Just another question do you think that doing gym stops you from going out to raging parties and getting into drugs and stuff like that?
I definitely do because we don't have the time to go out and get bored so we don't decide to go and muck up our bodies with illegal substances like some people do because they think its cool and find it fun getting high

(sorry if this shouldn't be posted on the forum but i was just curious and im still not 100% what's allowed on this site)

Last edited:
I dont really have that problem either (12 hours a week) level 7. what level r u?
and i think it does becuase gymnasts - who want to be gymnasts and arent forced into it, wouldnt want to get into that sort of stuff to mess up al there hard work. Gymnastics keeps me busy, and i would be bored without it!

I dont really have that problem either (12 hours a week) level 7. what level r u?
and i think it does becuase gymnasts - who want to be gymnasts and arent forced into it, wouldnt want to get into that sort of stuff to mess up al there hard work. Gymnastics keeps me busy, and i would be bored without it!
i am lvl 4 state which is an easier lvl 4, but the national lvl 4s and 5s and 6s train up to 20hrs a week

Sometimes i do, but most of the time im like watever! I know that the gym is my life and stuff outside the gym is different! I also know to keep stuff from outside of the gym outside of the gym! lol :) I do think it keeps me preoccupied from doing other things, because doing things like drugs you can tell in a gymnast.You know what I mean. We were talking about this at gym today and we were all like we would never do that!!!!!!

But I also know it is possible to have a life outside of gym, like me when Itrain 20 hours a week. There is 2 ways to do that. The first one is to ditch gym all the time like one of my teammate does. And the 2nd way is to wrok hard to have a life outside of gym. You can go out after practice, before pracitce, and have fun while at school like my other teammate does. I am so jelaus of teammate 2 because I have no life at school. Like i have no friends but my teammates at gym.They are like sisters to me!!!!!!!!!!!! no joke. Well that was a little off topic but ohh well.

Ok well in the end this is what i am trying to say is you can have a life outside of gym, it keeps you invovled and busy, and it helps to daty away from doing bad things.

i know what you mean opt. rocks coz like i would never even think about drugs or alcohol...imagine turning up to gym on saturday with a hangover s*** i would be stuffed then... yea coz my gym friends coz we are not serious some of them are regular party goers but i think that they would be worse if gym wasn't there.

i don't have that issue cause i only train 9hrs a week. i am a level 6 in training.

I do miss quite a lot that my school friends do like parties and just hanging out becuase I'm training roughly 25-30 hours a week. However, I never find myself regretting it because I know if I was there I would rather be in the gym because it's easily where I am happiest.I have goals and I know that missing gym and getting into things like alcohol and drugs will not help me acheive that so yes, gymnastics definitely keeps me out of those sorts of things.

sometimes i feel like im missing out-i train about 22 hours a week. i dont remember the last time i went to a party :) but i love gym so i dont really mind. i think it does keep you out of trouble.....drugs and alchohol. because if you want it as some people posted earlier you aren't going to give it up for that stuff. also our head coach knows all our parents and if you do anything like that and she knows, she will make sure your parents know. i think that i would never give up what i have in gymnastics for parties and sitting around all night on the computer or watching tv or whatever :)

I don't really have that problem :) But what I do miss out on, I don't mind because gym is what I'm the happiest doing and where I am happiest :D. I think it does because you just don't want to ruin all you've worked for, because gymnastics is (in my opion) the hardest, best sport in the world!

I don't really have a life outside of gym! I practice 18 hours a week, and that doesn't even count the time it takes to get there and go back home. I also have school, which is from 8 to 3. So aside from Thursdays and Sundays, I am packed!

But I also like to play the piano, and program computers in my spare time. Also, Facebook is my friend! I do have friends, and usually we get together after gym on Saturdays, and on Sundays. Thursdays are family days :)

I miss Friday night sleepovers... I have a four and a half hour pactice on Saturday mornings. I also miss sleeping in on saturdays and other days in the summer. Now, the practices will get even earlier. :( but i would not give up gym for those things... Most of my friends are there anyway!!!

ive had to give up some things like sports teams at school or outside of school...but i still gett my weekends to my self

:) I train about 21 hours a wk and i love it so i would never give it up to do "normal" teenage stuff or whatever but there are times when I wish I could go to the sleepovers or the bday parties and that stuff but then I go back to gym and I remember all the amazing reasons I would rather be doing gym:)

Friends from gym

I agree that gymnastics keeps you from doing things that damage your body, but I've also had a different problem.

Now, I'm not even sure if this is a bad thing, but lately I've noticed that I am SO close to my teammates and former teammates that when I want to hang out with someone I default to them. Even though I have lots of close friends this kind of rips on my friendships from school, because they all hangout together and i have trouble balancing all of my friends equally.

Also, there are times when they ask me to hang out but I have practice or already something going on. This makes our strained time even more limited and our friendships even more weak.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's really frustrating. :(

_Kyra_

Sleepovers are what I miss out onthe most because I practce Friday nights or saturday mornings and that's when everybody seems to plan things. But now that it's summer it willbe easier. I do miss out on some stuff with my family too what they do for the four hours while I'm at practice. But I'd rather be in The gym anyway.

Sleepovers are what I miss out onthe most because I practce Friday nights or saturday mornings and that's when everybody seems to plan things. But now that it's summer it willbe easier. I do miss out on some stuff with my family too what they do for the four hours while I'm at practice. But I'd rather be in The gym anyway.

Omg I just realized I posted here already. Lol. Anyway...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back