Parents Limits on Youtube gymnastics viewing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Musicmama

Proud Parent
Catching up on the Bratayley thread in the WAG forum just now made me curious about what limits other parents set for their child watching gymnastics videos on Youtube.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has specific content restrictions for their children. My primary limit on gymnastics viewing so far has been on the number of videos my dd (8yo) can watch at a time. Generally three at a time a couple times a day - most aren't very long, but as she's gotten more interested in specific families (like the one in Bratayley) the videos have gotten longer and more random and sometimes concerning (Whitney's kitchen gymnastics is an example from the other thread).

I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has specific content restrictions for their children.

Content wise I have parental controls set on all devices- all adult content, and 12+ content is restricted. I still have to be careful- music videos in particular can be quite dark and upsetting with strong adult content, even when on the surface they're just pop tunes.

They don't watch much tbh.

My biggest concern has been the gymnastics accidents that are on there! I'm freaked out enough most of the time, and seeing that doesn't help! I certainly don't want DD stumbling upon them-- which she has... I have to think that those are videos she doesn't need to see... :/

My biggest concern has been the gymnastics accidents that are on there! I'm freaked out enough most of the time, and seeing that doesn't help! I certainly don't want DD stumbling upon them-- which she has... I have to think that those are videos she doesn't need to see... :/

Omg! My Over Thinker claims she thinks those are funny...hmmm...maybe I should Not let her watch those...

Thank you! We have general content limits set up, of course, but being new to parenting a gymnast it's very helpful for me to hear what other parents are doing regarding the gymnastics videos and also to hear the reasoning behind it :)

I am right there when YG uses the computer for videos. Her phone has parental controls set.

I tell her to be specific in her searches (and I check "who" she follows regularly). By specific, I mean gymnastics level "x" "event" routines.

Omg! My Over Thinker claims she thinks those are funny...hmmm...maybe I should Not let her watch those...

Just dropped my poppet off for a gymnast sleepover and what was the first thing they watched on YouTube - the gymnastics fails videos. It was like watching those ones of babies being hurt, but the girls were all laughing. I found that incredible given they know how much it hurts to split the beam or crash off a handstand on bars...

I don't know that limiting the viewing of that is going to prevent them knowing how dangerous the sport is. The first competition we went to was held up for an hour after one of the senior girls broke both arms coming off the bars. There's been a few breaks at training too, so they get to see the dark side of the sport whether they want to or not. The coach seems to use them as a teaching tool for staying focused at training.

From what I've seen, the older girls at our gym are mostly watching routines on YouTube rather than DIY tutorials or anything else to do with gymnastics. I would think that instagram and snapchat are more of an issue because they are not public.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back