MAG Long shot - any experience with time back to gym after orchidopexy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

rosiekat

Proud Parent
My son is going to have to have an orchidopexy done (surgically anchoring a retractile testicle into the scrotum). Obviously due to the fact that this is entailing incisions and healing in the core, his physical activity will be limited for a while. The doctor's advice is just general, includes things like no straddling activities or trampoline for 10-14 days, but this is generally done on younger kids, who are also not competitive gymnasts! Pain meds will be serious for the first 2-3 days, but then just Tylenol or similar as needed after that.

What we're thinking of trying is keeping him out of the gym for one full week (first possible training day back would actually be 10 days after the procedure) and then letting him do limited gym work for another week (mostly upper body stuff, for example). Obviously this depends on how he's feeling, too, but he's 7 and would live in the gym if he could, so I'm not going to completely trust him! They don't schedule the doctor's followup until over 3 weeks after the procedure, which seems like it's probably longer than he needs to be inactive (based on the info both from the doctor's office and from Dr. Google).

So, I just was wondering if anyone had experience with this (or similar) or happened to know anything more particular about it. There's no urgency that dictates him having to be back in the gym - they finished the last meet of the season last week, and are now uptraining for next year, so if he truly needs to be out longer, I'll keep him out. It'll just be a nightmare, lol!

I'm not at all familiar with that procedure but from what you describe, I would keep him out for the 3 weeks until he visits the dr again to get cleared. I would really play it safe.

I'm not at all familiar with that procedure but from what you describe, I would keep him out for the 3 weeks until he visits the dr again to get cleared. I would really play it safe.

Yeah, see that's how I always do things. But I also know that the second he's out of my sight (and he's anticipated to go back to school just 4 days after), he'll be doing everything he isn't supposed to do. I may ask if the surgical bill includes a few rolls of duct tape for keeping him on the couch... ;)

Ok, so depends upon how extensive the orchioplexy is - if it requires the surgeon to pull the testical down from the abdominal cavity then core stuff may need to wait a week or 2 at least. When I say core stuff I don't just mean actual work out, but back handsprings at recess too! If its a simple "tack down" then maybe less so. Kids heal really fast from these (and 7 is still in that category), esp if its done laproscopically. Incisions can pull apart in the first week or so if too much tension on them, so the extent of the incision is relavant as well. More often than not, kids are back to their activity level after orchioplexy in 2 weeks max, in my experience, similar to hernia repairs.

However, if the surgeon says 3 weeks - then I'd be a nazi mom and make him sit it out - if you are worried he'll "cheat" than keep him home from gym. He's 7. It will have no impact what so ever on his gymnastics and if the surgeon feels he needs that to heal properly, then stick to it. Good time for nature walks with mom and dad, etc.

@gracyomalley - Thanks, that's very helpful to have someone with both a knowledge of gymnastics and the procedure! It is supposed to be laparoscopic, and there aren't any known complications - this one is (projected to be) straightforward. And of course, I'll double check everything tomorrow with the medical staff. The paperwork all says 10-14 days, it's just that since they didn't schedule the followup for 3 weeks, I was a bit concerned. I've tried to make it crystal clear to him how bad not listening on this will be...I am honestly most worried about him just, oh, walking from the den to his room and forgetting he can't do it on his hands! And I don't care about keeping him out of the gym in terms of training, it's just a sanity issue (for both of us, lol). I'll certainly err on the side of safety.

Why don't you ask about having the follow up a little sooner than 3 weeks?

And best wishes for successful procedure and quick healing!

So he had the procedure yesterday afternoon, and has been trying to pretty much bounce around the house all day today. Pain is perhaps keeping him to a normal 7-year-old-boy's level of energy rather than his usual level of psycho overcaffeinated hamster level...but I'm honestly having a pretty hard time getting him to stay somewhat flat, in spite of new Legos, all the TV he wants, and a copy of the new Star Wars movie (and big sister has been out of the house at softball and a sleepover, which is good).

I got clearer answers yesterday, and everyone concurred that 2 weeks was good. They do suggest him staying home from school longer than they had originally suggested, so I'll just have to see if we (and he) can tolerate him trapped in the house that long or not. (It doesn't help that we're supposed to have pouring rain for the next 4 days or something, so even just a gentle walk is kind of out of the question.) Wish us all luck, lol!

Good luck. I cared for a child that had this procedure. I know keeping a 7 year old still is hard but an 18 month old was a nightmare. If it was my kid (and you describe my kid) I'd be out of school a week and I'd reevaluate gym after 2. I would not send my 9 year old to the gym with limitations unless a cast was involved. He would not be able to help himself!!

Yeah, at first I had this fantasy where he could sit in the gym and watch his team and listen to the coach and learn without doing...and then I came back to reality! :p

Reactions: sce
So he had the procedure yesterday afternoon, and has been trying to pretty much bounce around the house all day today. Pain is perhaps keeping him to a normal 7-year-old-boy's level of energy rather than his usual level of psycho overcaffeinated hamster level...but I'm honestly having a pretty hard time getting him to stay somewhat flat, in spite of new Legos, all the TV he wants, and a copy of the new Star Wars movie (and big sister has been out of the house at softball and a sleepover, which is good).

I got clearer answers yesterday, and everyone concurred that 2 weeks was good. They do suggest him staying home from school longer than they had originally suggested, so I'll just have to see if we (and he) can tolerate him trapped in the house that long or not. (It doesn't help that we're supposed to have pouring rain for the next 4 days or something, so even just a gentle walk is kind of out of the question.) Wish us all luck, lol!

5 weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back