Looking for tube-feeding gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know it's a long shot but if anyone is, or knows of, a gymnast who competes despite being fed through a tube in the stomach, I'd like to hear from you.

After completing her first gymnastic season, my 8 year old got very I'll very quick. She was hospitalized for most of April and May and was diagnosed with a rare condition that prevents her from tolerating protein. As a result, she had a feeding tube surgically placed into her stomach and intestines so she can be fed a special formula.

She misses gymnastics and wants to return but is very concerned about how the tube would affect her. Her coach and doctors are all willing to work with her to get her ready for competition (staying at same level- no way to be ready to move up!) I was hoping to share with her that another gymnast has overcome this obstacle and encourage her that she can as well.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Go for it!!!

Hi!

Tell your dd to go for it! I don't know of any gymnasts, per se, but my nephew has a feeding tube and plays football, basketball and baseball!! I am a pediatric physical therapist and have had young clients with tubes play on soccer teams! My good friend growing up had a colostomy bag (starting in high school) and she participated in very high level competitive cheerleading--even at the college level in a division 1 school.

I definitely say convince her to try. :D:D:D

I know someone!!!!!

My close friend has a feeding tube, and she participates on the gymnastics team. She plans to compete level 5 and possibly level 6 next season. She goes to practice and everyone treats her normally and its not really a big deal at all. Shes an awesome gymnast, and she enjoys it too! Its always worth a chance, because really like I said, its no big deal. Its totally fine to do gymnastics with a feeding tube and my friend thinks its a great experience.

I haven't seen this specifically, but I have seen competitive gymnasts with an insulin pump and they were able to go through the levels. I think if the coaches and doctors can work with you, then it can work. Maybe she can start going say, just for conditioning and stretching in the beginning at first, just to get more comfortable? Then progress to doing more.

While not a gymnast, my son had a feeding tube until just recently. He was able to do pretty much everything. Hope Im not being to personal, but if she has the Mic-key by now I think she should be fine. AJ had a g-j so one port was in his stomach and one port his intestines and the only issue was the extra help needed to replace as it has be placed in interventional radiology. If she has a g only they can be easily replaced at home so thats a double go for it!

Either way I hope she is feeling better and adjusting to the tube. Good luck in whatever her decision is!

My roommate was on an elemental diet as a kid/teen, and had a tube for a while (she says the formula tastes disgusting), & she did intensive ballet all while growing up. It's not gym, but it's pretty hardcore.

As long as the doc OKs it, there's no reason she shouldn't go for it.

My son had a tube and then a button during chemo. It is possible to cause pain or injury if bumped or pressed in a certain way. Once when he was fussing around with his sister I put my hands in between them to separate the ensuing wrestling and caught the button on my pinky and accidentally pulled it out. It was very painful/traumatic for him and we were not able to reinsert it ourselves although we were told that we should be able to.

My concerns would be primarily bars. Depending upon the actual site of button, I cannot imagine it would be very comfortable during say kip, cast. The only other issue would be perhaps things like arch rocks or spotting issues if the coaches were to inadvertently bump or pull at it.

I would certainly encourage her to return if she has a button and not a full tube, but you may need to tape over it or find another way to protect it from getting pulled/pushed by spotting or contact with equipment. The other issue would be leaking which I could imagine would be possible due to the stretching of the abdominal skin during bridges and other walkover type skills. My son's did occasionally leak and I think it could be a possibility with gymnastics so might want to think ahead about maybe some gauze and tape so she doesn't leak through her leo.

Thank you everybody. To answer, she currently has a PEG tube (G-J) and she will get her button next month. Her GI doc will not allow her to return until August and her coach says he thinks she can do all 4 events but, if it becomes permanent, she may eventually have to stop competing bars. She was supposed to go to camp next month with her team and now has to miss that. Not to mention she has lost 10 pounds and all of her muscle mass. Coach gave her some conditioning exercises to do at home until she can return to the gym. I know it will be hard work for her but don't want to see her give up on something that brings her so much joy. I keep telling her that the only thing the tube changes is how she eats, not who she is, but no 8 year old wants to be different!

Hi! I know this is a very old thread but I found it while looking for the answer to the same question. My oldest daughter is a level 4 gymnast currently and my youngest has grown up since day one in the gym. My little one has a Mic-key button and will likely have a tube her entire life. However, she is in love with gymnastics and I can't imagine her not competing especially since her sister is. How has this worked out? I am wondering how her backbends, back handsprings, etc. that requires that bend at the stomach is for her as well as the bars. I can't imagine how casts, front hip circles, kips will go without catching the tube. Have you found any good ways to protect it?

I hope all is well with your daughter and she has been able to return to the sport!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back