WAG Lower abs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So lately I've realized that you look a lot better as a gymnast when you have easily seen muscle. I have a solid 4 pack but I really want a six pack. The lower part of my abs is definitely the weakest and I was wondering what the best workouts are for that area. Thanks in advance!

Maybe you don't want to hear this but... Who cares if you have a 6-pack vs. a 4-pack? Trying to achieve a certain look is not a good goal to have and can bring on self-esteem issues and eating disorders if your not careful. Instead of focusing on getting a 6-pack, work on eating healthier, and strengthening your muscles. If you do get a 6-pack? Great. If you don't? It shouldn't be the end of the world because really if you are in a competition you will be judged for your form rather than the muscle on your body...

The other answers seem a bit harsh - I can see why someone might want to develop their lower abs, seems to be a harder area to target than the upper section...personally speaking. I am not a gymnast, but just from working out I know this could be a weak point, and unless I'm mistaken, your's wasn't a question about losing weight. Eating less bad stuff isn't going to develop your lower abs, either.

It's pretty hard for females to develop that kind of definition, generally speaking. Pretty much all females I've seen with six packs have actually four packs. :) I think you're doing great. If you think you're lacking strength in that area then by all means go ahead, but it can also be dangerous emotionally to fixate on a goal that isn't realistic because of biology.

Maybe something like this???
I think I would listen to your coaches and do what they recommend, or this could happen to you!! ;)

Haha! That's a little scary! The only problem with my coaches is that all we do for conditioning is press handstands and pike presses. They really have us focused on cast handstands but until we get that we can't go with the other group for strength. I'm trying to condition on my own at home but I haven't seen any results.

Haha! That's a little scary! The only problem with my coaches is that all we do for conditioning is press handstands and pike presses. They really have us focused on cast handstands but until we get that we can't go with the other group for strength. I'm trying to condition on my own at home but I haven't seen any results.

Have you let your coaches know that you would like more conditioning, and maybe with the other group? I have three different conditioning groups and I love it when the girls want to move into a harder group. Shows me motivation and dedication. :)
As for ' I haven't seen any results', it just takes time and hard work. Also, remember that gymnasts don't have and don't want muscles like 'Helga' above! You should judge your progress by whether you are stronger, faster, more powerful, and able to perform the skills you are working on. If you focus on that, the rest will follow. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back