Parents Magical Classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kaloss

Proud Parent
My dd is only a level 3, but our HC really recommends that we try to do one bigger travel meet where the 9s/10s/elite compete to get the little ones excited about big meets etc. does anyone have experience with Magical Classic? It's in Orlando, Presidents' Day weekend. We're thinking of going, but I want to hear experiences before we commit. Also, we've never done Disney World, so we're hoping to surprise the girls with a trip while we're there. What parks should we hit up? Kids are 7, 6 and 20months. Thanks!

Unless you're planning a trip to Disney for a regular vacation, go ahead, but I wouldn't do any travel meets for a Level 3...it's ridiculous to spend that kind of money for a meet at that level.

The girls have been begging to go to Disney World, and we wanted to take them, so this is kind of an excuse to make it down there, see some "big girl gymanstics" and make a mini-vacation of it. Plus, my 7 year old will be turning 8 about 2 weeks before the meet and the baby will be 2 about a month before the meet, so we're thinking birthday surprises :)

No idea on the meet, but we're going to WDW for the first time this January. My kids are 9, 6, and 4. I asked a lot on disboards.com and the most recommended park was Magic Kingdom. As for the others it depends on your children's interests. We're not doing Animal Kingdom because there are so few rides that they are all tall enough for and my kids have seen lots of animals at various zoos anyways. We are going to do Hollywood Studios (Indiana Jones as well as Fantasmic there) and Epcot. You might want to check out disboards for ideas on what your kids might like as well as what days are best to go, etc. :)

My DD has gone the past 2 years to the Magical Classic. It is a big meet and it is well run. The one thing I did not like was the seating. Everyone is at floor level so you have many heads in your way unless you are in the front row. And then if you are in the front row you worry that it will stress out your gymnast to be so close to the events. We did not go to any other sessions while we were there so I can't say if it would excite the little ones or not.

Agree with Bookworm that it seems a little crazy for compulsory to travel far (the sport is expensive enough), but it's a well run meet. Part of our optionals go every year though and it's one of the coach's favorite meets.

our gym is going this year, kaloss!

it's our 1st time there.

it's @ the orange county convention center - not sure if this has been the previous location with the floor only seating.

we are excited because florida extended family will get to see dd compete for the first time.

it's also a nastia liukin cup qualifier & that is making our daughter excited to see some of the high level gymnasts.

we aren't doing disney but we went in the past in early feb & received great package deals.

if you were thinking of doing disney already - then great! keep me posted if you decide to go.

I had DH "cornered" in the car for 45 minutes and we're about 95% sure we're going to go. His parents live like 45 minutes away so it'll be a good opportunity for them to see a meet. I'm hoping to find good prices since it's not during a peak season

President's Day is the beginning of our school vacation-there will be tons of people from New England at the parks that week. We've been and it can be pretty crowded!
But I think it's rare for any holiday time for the parks not to be crowded.

We live in fl and have done meet every year from level 2 on. It's pretty nice. Awards for team are Disney sculptures. If you are traveling from far it makes sense to do a Disney trip.

President's Day is the beginning of our school vacation-there will be tons of people from New England at the parks that week. We've been and it can be pretty crowded!
But I think it's rare for any holiday time for the parks not to be crowded.
I was just going to say the same. It's "winter break" for many of the north eastern states. We went to this meet 5 years ago and enjoyed it! While Disney wasn't exceptionally crowded, there were a good amount of crowds. It was still a pleasant experience for our first time there. We'll be going to this meet again in 2014. I am not sure if we'll do Disney again, though, we want to try some of the other attractions as well. I have to also say, as far as the seating, it was all at floor level. However, the year we went, the session wasn't too crowded and we were able to easily mill around to see just fine.

I was just going to say the same. It's "winter break" for many of the north eastern states. We went to this meet 5 years ago and enjoyed it! While Disney wasn't exceptionally crowded, there were a good amount of crowds. It was still a pleasant experience for our first time there. We'll be going to this meet again in 2014. I am not sure if we'll do Disney again, though, we want to try some of the other attractions as well. I have to also say, as far as the seating, it was all at floor level. However, the year we went, the session wasn't too crowded and we were able to easily mill around to see just fine.
\

would love to see you there - just booked flight tickets/car rental. will pm you as it gets closer if you don't mind.

Yes! My in laws offered us their time share, DH requested the time off of work, now we just need to make plans to fly/drive depending on the cost of tickets and a possible rental car. We just turned in our meet fees and leotard sizes last week. Getting excited :) and...my daughter is finally getting all those last minute skills :)

we plan to go each day to watch (when LL isn't competing). plans are to hit a park the last day (monday for us).

glad it is working out for you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back