WAG Managing expectations?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
Specifically my own! I'm having trouble maintaining reasonable expectations for myself and have been trying really hard not to get too frustrated, but it's hard :(.

I retired from competitive gym last June (I was a Level 5/6 and trained 8 hours a week, I'm 20 now and didn't start competitive till i was 16) and have been going to the Adult Rec classes twice a week, 4 hrs total. I'm having trouble keeping my expectations in check. I expect myself to be as good as when I trained twice as many hours, with a coach to help correct me, spot me and set up drills, even though I know that's not reasonable. I still have the majority of my old skills, and actually have a few new ones, but I'm getting frustrated and I'm upset that I'm not progressing at the rate I'm used to. Mainly I'm working towards cast handstands, getting my layouts back on floor after a scary bail, and front handspring front tucks.

Basically here's what's going on: I have some bad habits that I'm trying to fix, but they're so deeply engrained after 8 years of gym I'm wondering if it's worth it; I'm dealing with some minor fear issues so that doesn't help; and I don't have a coach who's experienced enough to spot me on bars when what I really need is to be spotted through the cast handstand shape over and over again. I never feel like there's enough time at practice to get through everything, and even though I still really enjoy the sport I'm feeling a bit lost and frustrated right now.

I guess I'm just looking for someone who has been through something similar and can commiserate with me or offer some advice. Anything would be appreciated, thanks :)

Well I am in a similar position. Although I switched from gymnastics as a kid to t&t as an adult. My struggles are similar I have lots of fears, self doubt, injuries and it takes me a long time to learn new skills or skills I could do as a kid such as fulls. I also have a lot of bad habits that are going to take a lot of time to fix and I also feel like we never have enough time. Plus my body is falling apart but the biggest problem is I love it with a passion and can't see giving up on it.

My only advice is to look at why you are doing this now as an adult I also compete but know I am not going to be a top dog which took me a long time to realize. I am still serious about it but am looking at it more as fun and a gradual challenge. It frustrates me to no end to see a girl who can't do a back tuck pass me up doing double backs in a year but I have to keep in mind I am not a child with a child's body and child's mind. I have to have realistic adult expectations of what I can do. Just have patients, you can do what you set your mind to but it might take more hard work and believing you can do it and it might take more time but you'll get there.

First of all, I bow down to you in awe for continuing with this sport as an adult! Don't be so hard on yourself; the skills from your list that you are working on are amazing.

With that said, if you are interested in progressing and getting these new skills, maybe you should un-retire and find an experienced coach who can help you.

At DD's gym there is a 31-year-old L8 who practices 12 hours per week, works full time and helps out with the care of close family member who needs round-the-clock support. Usually she competes AAU but we all got to watch her recently at a JO competition. It was the most inspiring performance I have ever watched at a gymnastics meet...mostly because of her obvious talent for and love of gymnastics, but also because I felt so proud to be involved with a gym that is training her and helping her get where she wants to go in the sport she loves.

Following the competition, I was admiring her 3rd place trophy when her husband said, "I always like to say I have a trophy wife!"

If you can, get out there and find a coach who will work with you and a gym that will support this work!

I can't imagine this 30-something body doing anything that even remotely resembles gymnastics. I always wanted to participate as a child, but it wasn't an option. Now, I'm quite happy to let my daughters enjoy the sport. Kudos to all of those who are continuing the sport into adulthood. Love the trophy wife comment!

Thanks for all the support everyone! I have been toying with the idea of going back, I'd just have to figure it out with university, work, and who on earth would coach me. I'd probably be put back with the Level 3-5 girls (aged 8-16 or so), and I'm not sure if I would end up being happy with that. If not, I can still do Adult Rec and try to go to some Master's competitions. The trophy wife comment is great :)

Beamer, I'm not sure if you know or would like to share but do you know 'how' the 31 year old trains? As in does she work out with the younger girls or are there other older gymnasts there?

As far as I can tell, she works out with the L8/L9 optionals, although maybe not as many hours?

This is a group of young people: a few high school kids, but also a good number of 11-year-olds!

Expectations? Why have anything to get frustrated about when you're old enough to appreciate the simplicity and honor of walking into the gym, working as hard and intelligently as possible, and leaving with a feeling of satisfaction. If you do that, the expectations will take care of themselves, because they'll be reasonably based upon what your mind and body are capable of.

If, on the other hand, you feel you left something behind, some unfinished business when you retired, you gotta figure out if going back is the right thing to do.

One last itty bitty thing. You may be getting to the point of understanding gymnastics better than you've imagined possible, and are regretting you couldn't have collected and applied that wisdom 3 years ago. So maybe you've accomplished something you haven't yet appreciated for what it is, and are confused about which way to go.

Thanks everyone! I'm tempted to ask if I can train with my old coach one day a week and still go to the adult classes twice a week, then I'd be back up to 8 hours! I don't really feel like I have any unfinished business, but maybe I didn't have to retire just yet. This is such a hard decision. Hopefully I'll figure things out soon!

iwannacoach, I apologize if I'm being a bit dim but I don't understand your last sentence. I definitely agree with the first part, from a theoretical/physics/mechanics viewpoint I understand all my skills in gymnastics very well and wish I'd been at that point earlier. This also makes it hard though because often my head will 'get' how to do the skill and know how to correct it, but my body isn't quite there yet and that gets quite frustrating. Could you please explain your last sentence to me?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back