WAG Maroney video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have heard that there is no nutritionist at camp, and that the food is far from what you would expect in an elite training facility. Also served on paper plates etc etc. Here is a USAG photo from the cafeteria.

https://www.facebook.com/USAGymnast...1456580782./10152839574047168/?type=3&theater

On another forum there was a very amusing thread about the meals at Nat Team camps. I was always surprised at the stuff they were served.

Are the cupcakes in the photo just for show?

From http://m.teamusa.org/News/2015/Nove...cord-10th-Gold-Medal-More-Than-Any-Woman-Ever : "Biles joked she was thinking about leading the U.S. women's team on strike before the team final last week because of a grueling training regimen put together by national team coordinator Martha Karolyi." So I don't think it's all roses for her either.

Yes, but do you really think the 7th ranked gymnast could get away with saying that? How many lower ranked kids would get away with saying they would like to take a chainsaw to every set of bars in the country or openly hope others beat her on bars so she will not have to compete in bar finals. Instead we get 'I just wanted to go out and hit four for four and do my best and make my coach and Marta happy and blah blah blah and have fun'

For some reason this bothers me that Simone is being held out there as one who is having a different experience. She very well could be, but I have been following this sport for a very long time, and there have been very many girls who have given the impression of happy and healthy in a nuturing environment, and it eventually comes out that the opposite was true for these kids. When the heck are we going to get the Karolyis out of our National program? The2012 girls appeared to be a very happy well adjusted group with supportive coaches. They appeared to be friends, good teammates, and more mature and together than the "robots" of the early 90s. To hear what is still going on is so sad to me. I naively thought it was better. We still send our best gymnasts down to that stupid ranch in order to be starved and have all sort of mind games placed on them. No athlete should ever train 30 days in a row without a rest. It is absolute craziness and everyone stands by and let's it go on. An exhausted and under fed athlete is way more likely to get injured. When will the madness stop?

Agree. What is being said about the Ranch is the same as the 70s and 80s. It is sad that gymnastics is not past all of this.

Ok, since we have tangented way away, I will join in....with a weird question. Couldn't the girls bring something like mre meals? I know they aren't as healthy as other things, but they are warm meals that definitely have carbs. I know of many adenture racers who took these with them on their travels. Would they be confiscated?

Ok, since we have tangented way away, I will join in....with a weird question. Couldn't the girls bring something like mre meals? I know they aren't as healthy as other things, but they are warm meals that definitely have carbs. I know of many adenture racers who took these with them on their travels. Would they be confiscated?

Girls do seem to buy outside food on the way there. I guess they could.

If I'm understanding correctly, it's less the issue that there isn't food available, but that they are being 'watched' and constantly being scrutinized for their weight, so they start believing that they should be eating very little and/or simply afraid to take much food in front of coaches.

If they are seen eating nice, big healthy portions, that could be interpreted as "This girl isn't serious enough about her gymnastics to control her food intake and her weight" and screw up her chances to be selected for the big O.

Yes, but do you really think the 7th ranked gymnast could get away with saying that? How many lower ranked kids would get away with saying they would like to take a chainsaw to every set of bars in the country or openly hope others beat her on bars so she will not have to compete in bar finals. Instead we get 'I just wanted to go out and hit four for four and do my best and make my coach and Marta happy and blah blah blah and have fun'

I agree. I like what Simone said and am glad she did. The reality is that USA gymnastics needs Simone and she can probably say and do whatever she wants. It would be interesting if she would just say "yea I'm not coming to the ranch. Let me know when and where to meet you and I'll be ready". Of course she doesn't come across as the kind of person that would, but it would be awesome!

I agree. I like what Simone said and am glad she did. The reality is that USA gymnastics needs Simone and she can probably say and do whatever she wants. It would be interesting if she would just say "yea I'm not coming to the ranch. Let me know when and where to meet you and I'll be ready". Of course she doesn't come across as the kind of person that would, but it would be awesome!
Ok, that would be THE coolest. And what could they do? Probably nothing!
This said....very hard to do....but I hope she at least eats what she wants when she is there...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back