WAG Martha Karolyi to step down after Rio ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow...the end of something great...let's see what the future brings!

But considering the national team training site will still be at the Karolyi ranch do we really believe that Marta will have no input at all?

Another question is why don't USAG build a national training site for WAG that is newer and more central? For the amount they pay yearly for the ranch it would be paid for pretty quickly.

Though those camels are quite the draw.

Rhonda will do a great job. Marta has had an amazing career and an impact on gymnastics in the US...her legacy will live on for a very long time. And yes....she will still have input. Of that I am sure!!

Whether Rhonda does a great job or not remains to be seen. Marta made US WAG what it has become -- I personally do not think she is really replaceable. But we shall see.

Did I miss something? Has it been announced that Rhonda will be taking over for Marta? I always thought that Valeri would be the one to take over when Marta stepped down. They even just built Valeri his own house at the ranch!

Did I miss something? Has it been announced that Rhonda will be taking over for Marta? I always thought that Valeri would be the one to take over when Marta stepped down. They even just built Valeri his own house at the ranch!
Valeri is leading the development program that feeds athletes into the Elite program.

Agreed! I had a boss who left our small nonprofit but she still lived in the area and consulted on many related projects. Her successor spoke openly about wishing she would keep her distance but she would or could not let go. I'm sure Marta will be the same way, giving feedback and making suggestions but not traveling or doing the paperwork.

I must have missed that announcement as well. I did see an article that asked a USAG Gymnastics official who would replace Marta and the answer was something like "we are focused on getting to the Rio Olympics and we will focus on a replacement after that."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back