WAG Mary Lee Tracy Named New Elite Development Coordinator

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Really? At this point, nothing seems to surprise me anymore. It's like The Onion: Gymnastics Edition came to life.

Agreed, this has been handled so badly by USAG since the first child victim came forward to them.

Also to current gymnasts parents who are pissed about this all happening, thank the lord it is happening again because in the past your child would just be another new victim for Nassar at camp. The reason why people are so reluctant to accept an old guard coach, with an actual history relating to Nassar and his hundreds (yes hundreds, how anyone can read that and not freak out is beyond me) is because past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

USAG continues to make poor choices, when the lives of children are at stake.

Last edited:
past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

Integrity
Compassion
Strong communication skills
Strong listening skills
Empathy
Lead by example
Loyalty to the athletes first, recognizing that they are the leading stakeholders, and everything else is secondary.
Ability to structure USAG to reflect the core value that athletes are the top priority.
Ability to successfully integrate Aly Raisman and other survivors as key architects of a "Moving Forward" plan.
Ability to successfully maintain the brain trust of experienced elite coaches.
Ability to listen, learn, and change (self and organization).

.... (the most essential qualifications required for the next CEO of USAG)....

According to Lynn Raisman, Aly never actually received a message from Mary Lee. So they didn't tell her she couldn't contact Aly, and then asked her to resign over "attempting" to contact her even though the contact apparently never actually went through and they could have just clued her into the rule? Unless Mary Lee sent a snail mail letter to Aly that hasn't gotten there yet (which sounds very unlikely) it's looking more and more like USAG didn't know the controversy surrounding their hire and used this supposed attempt at contact as an excuse to back track without looking like they're not even vetting people. I feel a little bit like a conspiracy theorist, but I think I'm okay with that.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a supporter of hiring Tracy to begin with. I think it's great her practices have changed so much in her own gym, but I don't think I'm comfortable with her in a greater leadership position. But the sheer lack of thought that has gone into every decision this week is staggering. These people are supposed to be governing the entire sport?

I really wish that parents would understand how much being subjected to an abusive environment takes a toll on kids. I was in an elite gym back in 70’s. The daily stomach aches,insomnia,anxiousness and the lack of food. The weigh-ins, having to be 5% fat content, the headaches. The screaming by our coach-the tension in the gym was unbearable. Driving to practice one snowy day, I remember hoping our car would go over the bridge so I wouldn’t have to go to practice. I was 12. I finally had what I realize now as a mini nervous break down on Christmas Day. It was our one day off from gym and the thought off going back made me begin to have suicidal thoughts. I quit that day-the first one to walk out of that gym. Many followed over time and the long term repercussions on little girls are horrible! The eating disorders, alcohol issues, drugs, body image problems, anxiety, nightmares, depression, suicidal thoughts, feelings of worthlessness, etc. Many of us from that gym have talked about what became of us. When my girls wanted to do gymnastics I said NO! It’s a long story, but I ultimately gave in.I thought maybe things were different. All 3 made it to the upper levels. We had a hard time finding coaches that weren’t abusive at the level 10 level. We left several gyms because of it. I’ll spare the details-you all know them-the swearing,screaming,ignoring,body shaming. One daughter had anorexia and starting having mental health issues. There went her college scholarship. The other two had career ending injuries before they could get to college gymnastics. Nothing had changed and I couldn’t be happier to get them out! This abusive has been going on FAR too long and it needs to stop. The gymnastics culture is toxic as it is and needs to change so that our kids grow up to be healthy, well individuals.

Here is the FB post from TF mentioned quite a bit above - the one that was taken down at some point. This offers insight as to where his head is right now.
Good idea to take this down, but via screenshot it lives forever.
upload_2018-9-1_11-55-19.jpeg

I must admit this entire situation makes me sad. MLT with Amanda and Jaycie seemed like a refreshing change from the old school during the run up to the 1996. She seemed to genuinely care, they seemed genuinely happy and well adjusted.I am surprised and shocked at what some of her athletes have said about her. I don't WANT to believe it but I do. And my question is at this point: Is there anyone with the experience and ability that would be appropriate for this job that is untainted in any way? That would want the job? If I was a coach of elite level athletes, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Any coach that had an athlete in the camp system during the Nassar period is tainted in the public opinion for not noticing what what happening to the kids in their charge. They all liked and trusted Nassar. They all complied and put up with the camp system because they had no choice if they wanted to put a kid on the Olympic Team. It was common practice in many sports in the 80s and 90s to weigh athletes, and attempt to control their weight to enhance sports performance. I was subjected to it in an entirely different sport. My intent is not to defend the coaches, but for to ask the question, are there any elite coaches that would be right for the job? Is it possible to raise an Olympian without some practice in the past that may or may not be considered abuse? I don't remotely have a horse in this race. My( maybe repeating Level 8 might be a 9 )12 year old enjoys sucess in our state and in her level, but the likelihood of even college gymnastics is probably not in the cards. She enjoys a gym that produces multiple level 10s each year that get scholarships, but we do not have an elite program. They have caring coaches that push but don't abuse. They have tons of team activities and bonding that make it a great experience. At this point I am grateful she doesn't have more talent that what she does. Are there non abusive elite coaches? Tom Forester certainly appeared to be on the gentler end of the spectrum in the past, but many arent happy with him. Who should they ask? Most people don't want any old school coaches or those associated with the Ranch system.

I guess they really do just want to see USAG burned to the ground, and damn with the consequences or whose dreams get crushed along the way.

You see I would welcome the consequences with open arms and crush every perceived dream in this sphere to save 1 kid getting abused. Without a second thought.

People with dreams find a way. With or without USAG. I can't even...... that anyone thinks it is all worth it to get where they want their kid to be.

I must admit this entire situation makes me sad. MLT with Amanda and Jaycie seemed like a refreshing change from the old school during the run up to the 1996. She seemed to genuinely care, they seemed genuinely happy and well adjusted.I am surprised and shocked at what some of her athletes have said about her. I don't WANT to believe it but I do. And my question is at this point: Is there anyone with the experience and ability that would be appropriate for this job that is untainted in any way? That would want the job? If I was a coach of elite level athletes, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Any coach that had an athlete in the camp system during the Nassar period is tainted in the public opinion for not noticing what what happening to the kids in their charge. They all liked and trusted Nassar. They all complied and put up with the camp system because they had no choice if they wanted to put a kid on the Olympic Team. It was common practice in many sports in the 80s and 90s to weigh athletes, and attempt to control their weight to enhance sports performance. I was subjected to it in an entirely different sport. My intent is not to defend the coaches, but for to ask the question, are there any elite coaches that would be right for the job? Is it possible to raise an Olympian without some practice in the past that may or may not be considered abuse? I don't remotely have a horse in this race. My( maybe repeating Level 8 might be a 9 )12 year old enjoys sucess in our state and in her level, but the likelihood of even college gymnastics is probably not in the cards. She enjoys a gym that produces multiple level 10s each year that get scholarships, but we do not have an elite program. They have caring coaches that push but don't abuse. They have tons of team activities and bonding that make it a great experience. At this point I am grateful she doesn't have more talent that what she does. Are there non abusive elite coaches? Tom Forester certainly appeared to be on the gentler end of the spectrum in the past, but many arent happy with him. Who should they ask? Most people don't want any old school coaches or those associated with the Ranch system.
So many good points and questions. And I completely agree, the pool of current elite coaches who would even remotely be qualified for the job aren't going to want the job for a number of reasons, first being that they would have to give up coaching at their current job, so if they have any current or upcoming elite level gymnasts I can't imagine them giving up coaching them to take on a job that has no stability to it and second being, knowing that their past will be dug into and picked at by people who have never met them, have never worked with them and will judge them for things that they may have done or said 5, 10, 15 or 20 yeas ago..lwhen times were very different and things were done very differently. I truly hope that Tom remains in his position, the little that I have heard about him have all been positive and all of the elite girls seem to like him and enjoy working with him. I truly believe that KP will be gone by next week, I don't see any way that she can survive the onslaught of people calling for her to step down, particularly the USOC basically calling for a change of the guard. More coaches might be willing to step into the elite coordinator role once she has been removed and a new CEO has been named. But again, who is going to want to take on the role of CEO of USAG knowing what a dumpster fire it is?!?!

who is going to want to take on the role of CEO of USAG knowing what a dumpster fire it is?!?!

There are people who thrive as Transformational Leaders of corporations, who are skilled at navigating the processes and challenges leading to positive change.

“Transformational leadership is a theory of leadership where a leader works with teams to identify needed change, creating a vision to guide the change through inspiration, and executing the change in tandem with committed members of a group;[1]; it is an integral part of the Full Range Leadership Model. Transformational leadership serves to enhance the motivation, morale, and job performanceof followers through a variety of mechanisms; these include connecting the follower's sense of identity and self to a project and to the collective identity of the organization; being a role model for followers in order to inspire them and to raise their interest in the project; challenging followers to take greater ownership for their work, and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of followers, allowing the leader to align followers with tasks that enhance their performance.”
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformational_leadership

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Range_Leadership_Model#/media/File:Hou710_LeadershipStyles.svg

May the board of USAG have the wisdom to seek out a strong, effective Transformational Leader for USAG.

It's just so easy for those on the outside to make all of these judgements when it doesn't affect them or their child. That is where I am having problems. And from what I understand, when the girls are at devo camp they are still being coached by their own personal coach, the training staff is more there to observe them and give advice, etc..so she wouldn't really ever be in a one-on-one situation with MLT or Tom, at least not without her personal coach present. I could be wrong about that but that was my understanding. And I can guarantee that her personal coach would never let anything negative be said or done to her. It's just a sucky situation all around, for everyone. For the survivors who endured so much, the parents of the survivors who I am sure question every single thing that they did or could have done differently, and for the current elite gymnasts who are just sitting in limbo wondering what in the hell is going to happen with this sport and their dreams along the way.
As your child moves further into the elite world, I would talk with her coaches. There are times when you will not be there. Talk with the coaches about not allowing her to be alone with other adults. I know it is now a USAG safe sport rule but I think it needs to be discussed too. When the cia he’s are responsible for her, they need to know who she ya with and why.

Also, thinking back to the meet where your girl had the bloody nose. I know why parents should not be in the floor if a meet. But why doesn’t USAG allow parents to go with their child to the medical area? Seems like a simple change that would make a big difference.

But why doesn’t USAG allow parents to go with their child to the medical area?
That's not allowed! Here parents usually get on the floor when their child gets injured, since there is no medical room. But they are kids, and they are probably scared when something happens to them. I know from experience parents can ruin their kids experience, but if it comes to injury parents should be there!

If it's a serious injury the coach will come get the parent to be with the child. But if a parent gets caught on the comp floor during a meet it can be a team deduction or even a disqualification.

That's not allowed! Here parents usually get on the floor when their child gets injured, since there is no medical room. But they are kids, and they are probably scared when something happens to them. I know from experience parents can ruin their kids experience, but if it comes to injury parents should be there!

It is tough, but I think necessary. My son broke his ankle at a region camp. Lots of kids, coaches, etc. He had 4 coaches, 1 was an RN, surrounding him. His coach kept coming to give me updates. I never once even considered running out there. He was in good hands. But it was hard! I wanted to go out there with him. But I would have just been in the way. They would come and get me if needed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back