Parents meet report L5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, my little sassy girl had her second meet of the season...it was not pretty. First off was bars, which she got and 8.35 (not so bad, but she could have done better and she knew it) then she went to beam. The whole team had a very contagious case of the dropsies, and every single girl fell off during their cartwheel in practice. DD fell off the crisco-coated beam right after she finished her cartwheel, (which was a shame, because the routine was beautiful up to that point) then she came down the wrong side on the dismount, and was possibly over time when she fixed it (I know they are supposed to stop the clock and all, but we couldn't see the judges table to know if she was OT. she got a 7.6:(

She got an 8.4 on floor, and an 8.2 on vault (at least the vault was an improvement) she was in a 3 way tie for 12th on vault. 32.55AA I know it's not terrible, but it's pretty devastating to a kid who got consistent 37's in her last meet season. :eek:

I'm trying to get her into a few more private lessons. She has another meet on Sunday (oh joy:rolleyes:) and then we have 2 or three weekends off.

Snowbound

Awww--she still did great! Every level is different so there really is no correlation to success. My dd is doing Level 5 this year (well it is optional but still they are level 5 skills) and she is happy to get just solid 8's. At least now you have a baseline to work from. Good luck next weekend!

Tell her to hang in there, it's only the 2nd meet of the season. Those scores will go up throughout the season (along with the confidence - they go hand-in-hand). Keep up the good work!

Level 5 is definitely harder. My daughter fell in her last meet on after her cartwheel too. I have been lucky that my daughters scores have been pretty much consistent and have not been much lower than her level 4 scores, she seems to be doing so much better with the bars. My daughter also has a different coachs this year and they been wonderful with her. Your daughter qualified for sectionals so she can relax and I am sure her scores will improve.

We just had our first L5 meet. We had 12 gymnast competing, half of whom competed L5 last year and one girl got a 9.00 on floor. That was the only 9.0, so I think that at least here, scoring is going to be a LOT harder than last year. And our team took 2nd al around, so it's not like anyone else was doing better.

OTOH, there are a lot of things she could improve on (like not picking a wedgie until AFTER leaving the floor. Grr....) so I don't think the scoring was unfair or anything, just strict. But it was kind of a disappointment for all the girls.

This happened last season at one of the meets. Pixie and every single one of the girls from her gym fell off the beam and it wasn't even on the same skill.

We laughed about it on our drive home. I asked her if the beam was lopsided, haha!
She said no but that it felt like it was made of plastic. Strange!

I'm sorry she had a rough meet. I hope she wasn't too heartbroken.
Maybe with one L5 meet under her belt she will rock the next meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back