MAG Meet Report!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Just got home from the first "official" meet of the year. The boys had so much fun, as they always do. And I got to talk to trapar for a bit, and watch her son too (awesome job BTW!!!!) I have had a nasty cold all weekend so wasn't feeling as social as usual, but it was so fun to see her :)

D had a decent meet. He has a few tweaks to make here and there, but he had fun. His scores all went up and his AA was up about 2.5 points from Judge's Cup.

FLoor: 10.2
Pommel: 10.4 (7th)
Rings: 9.5
Vault: 9.4 (10th)
Pbars: 10.1
Hbar: 8.4 (didn't get credit for giant, but made it!)
AA: 58.0 (14th)

His team placed 6th, and had a blast! Ready for the next one..a TEAM travel one.

Wow...hes a level 6? Or 7? Right? Thats a hugevAA score! I dont think we saw anything like that at the meet we were at yesterday. It was so cool to see the higher levels, though. Very impressive!

We just got home- you beat us, Skschlag! We went to dinner after the meet and celebrated a great first meet with the team! It was cool to see skschlag and her son was impressive indeed! My ds was pleased with his meet and his scores were pretty good despite falling on rings and pommel. Next time he says he will use the ropes when doing his handstand on the rings!
He only competed on 4 events and his scores were:
Floor: 9.8- thrilled about this one!
Pommel: 8.6- fell on his Russians and almost fell on the pommel horse
Rings: 8.9
Vault: 8.9

His next meet is at our own gym in 2 weeks!

Congrats to both of you! Wow, that is a great meet for D! (Our L7 girls have a meet coming up this weekend, so I am already feeling anticipatory giant anxiety!) Trapar, I am glad your son was pleased -- his form must have been very, very good to get those scores on rings and pommel. Those handstands are hard! Will he be competing Hbar and pbars at the next one?

He is a level 6.

it is interesting to try to figure out waht is a "high" score, and what isn't. Coach is figuring 10.5-11.2 is where we need to be, so D has quite a bit of work to do. He has some bonuses that aren't in his routines yet that I think they are going to try to add the next 2 weeks.

Trapar- I wish we were coming to your meet this year! We will be in NM. The kids are all riding a bus with the team. I am flying! (I hate that drive!!) Should be interesting...

Congrats on all the great meets. My kids also did well this weekend. We were at Circle of Stars this weekend. It was my son's first meet of the season and my daughter's second. I'm one of those moms who videos and takes pictures and never writes down scores or places - so I don't have exact numbers.

DS started on H-bar - this is his worst event and the week before he was telling me he might be scratching it. He got a 10.2. This is our first time seeing the new scores and new routines. I have no idea what the hbar routine should be so think that he may have tanked it. I call my husband and share the score and he also thinks DS tanked it. We are remembering scores of 14 and 15. I than start watching scores and realize I'm not seeing anything near 14. During floor warm-ups he did a few tumbling passes and then put his warm-up on and sat down. His hip was really bothering him prior to the meet so I'm thinking he is scrathing floor so didn't get in a good position to film it. He does do floor and gets an 8 something. I assumed he had to leave something out but he explained to me that he didn't stick a single pass and fell on his butt on his endo roll. All the other events my DS scored in the 11s. He ended up with 2nd place AA; 1st place on rings, pbars, and pommel; 2nd place on vault, 7th place on hbar and didn't place on floor. He is one happy boy!!

My DD took 5th place AA with about a 36.5 (again I didn't write down the scores). She scored in the low 9s on everything. She took 2nd on bars and placed on beam and vault (somewhere in the 5th-7th range). Her tumbling looked beautiful on floor but she fell out of a simple dance/roll move. She is also very happy and proud of her performance.

Over all it was a very good weekend for my kids!! Both my kids are repeating level 7s, hense the higher scores.

Last edited:
Congrats to both of you! Wow, that is a great meet for D! (Our L7 girls have a meet coming up this weekend, so I am already feeling anticipatory giant anxiety!) Trapar, I am glad your son was pleased -- his form must have been very, very good to get those scores on rings and pommel. Those handstands are hard! Will he be competing Hbar and pbars at the next one?
Thanks, profmom! We aren't sure what he'll compete on in the next meet. He just started back on high bar last week after about 3 months off of it so he's only done swings and kips so far. He lost a couple of big skills on the p-bars as well. The goal is to be competing on everything by the end of the season. That may mean a 3rd year at level 6, but time will tell, I guess. He just wants to do well at whatever level he's at.

Last edited:
He is a level 6.

it is interesting to try to figure out waht is a "high" score, and what isn't. Coach is figuring 10.5-11.2 is where we need to be, so D has quite a bit of work to do. He has some bonuses that aren't in his routines yet that I think they are going to try to add the next 2 weeks.

Trapar- I wish we were coming to your meet this year! We will be in NM. The kids are all riding a bus with the team. I am flying! (I hate that drive!!) Should be interesting...

I wish you guys were coming to our meet, also! Riding on a bus to a meet sounds like a lot of fun (for the boys-lol). You guys go to some fun places for your meets. I'm kind of jealous ;)

NOt sure I consider Albuquerque that fun of a place! LOL! The older guys are competing at Stanford this weekend. That would be fun. THen they are also doing Minnesota. I am still hoping D might get to go to that one, but it is a long shot!

OK. I have videos up, but have removed the link from my signature. If anyone wants to see, pm me and I will get you the link :) D also says any judges/coaches can give tips ;) He is pretty pumped right now! WOrked his bottom off tonight!

I watched the videos on youtube. He is good!! When my son views them, I'm sure he will wish they were on the same team. I love how he is staying focused while his teammate is dancing in the background of the vault video. Congrats and great job to your son!!

Thanks guys! He loves it.

What the video doesn't show is that ALL of them were dancing around like that just a few minutes earlier. They have so much fun :)

Glad to hear you son has had a great start to the season! Yes, watching the scores is weird! My son is doing level 7 again and it would have been nice to compare his scores from last yr to this year and seeing an improvement in scores. With what my son is doing we are aiming for at least 10's. I know for level 7 the max score is around 12.5 or .7 (that includes all bonus etc) and vault a little higher depending what vault you do. My son had 2 meets so far 60.8 and 65.1 AA. We are going to Windy City huge meet so a little nervous about that.

Wow, on a bus and flying to meets. I can't imagine that. The farthest we go is 5 hrs away and we drive him.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back