Parents Meets and nasty weather

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

racergymnast

Proud Parent
Have you ever had a meet cancelled due to weather? We are right in the middle of where the big ice storm is supposed to hit tomorrow and through the weekend. They are calling for 1/2 inch of ice! Our gym is hosting a meet this weekend despite there being a no travel advisory issued. Owner says that they NEVER NEVER NEVER cancel due to weather. What's your experience?

I've never seen a meet cancel due to weather either. Maybe a delayed session or two but that's it. We were in Pigeon Forge for a meet when a huge ice storm hit two years ago. They didn't even delay! Still ran the 8 am session as scheduled even though 75 percent of the gymnasts didn't show. Most of our team were in hotels really close by so we made it but a few stayed in a cabin and couldn't get out. It was interesting to say the least! On a good note our team won big bc only two teams showed up lol!!

Atlanta Crown last weekend made the call at the end of Friday night's sessions to cancel the 8am L10 session and split up the gymnasts into the other 3 L10 sessions during the day. It made for a bit of confusion and shuffling around and completely full sessions, but it worked out. The sessions on the other side were all pushed back by 3 hours as well. I don't think meets will be canceled unless they can't get judges there. If they still hold the meet, but tell you to use your own judgement in coming, then they don't have to justify not giving refunds, which of course they can't give refunds because the money has already been spent on renting space, equipment, judges, awards, etc....

We had this happen last week as well. Storm hit on Friday with ice and snow. While the immediate area was plowed well, the rest of the state had dangerous driving. They didn't delay or cancel any sessions that I am aware of. There were still a lot of gymnasts there because they arrived ahead of the storm but there were lots missing because they waited too long to travel orjust decided to eat the meet fees. The state didn't declare any state of emergencies, though - or not that I am aware of. I wonder what would have happened to the meet if it had declared no driving on the roads.

Right now we are in the middle of deciding when to leave for our meet since we are expecting ice and snow.

There is only supposed to be rain where the meet site is but we will have to travel in bad weather.

A few years ago our gym hosted a meet and we got quite a bit of snow but most teams had already travelled and were at hotels close by so there were no delays or cancellations.

We drove to our meet in middle of snow storm last weekend (Long Island). Took us an hour for a 25 minute ride and roads were very bad. Most sessions were full throughout the day despite the conditions. Some teams coming from the city did not come, but it was a local meet so most made the trip. They said once the judges were there, they would not cancel as per USAG rules. I do remember that story from last year, though, when they did cancel the rest of the Parkettes meet...

Local college games canceled, Highways and bridges, malls closed as well as a bunch of things around NYC and all around the meet. State of emergencies were declared. Meet went on. No refunds for not showing due to weather. They did offer for kids to come to whatever session they could get and they would let them compete, if that's IF the kid hadn't qualified for states yet.

I haven't seen a meet cancelled yet. We are scheduled to go to one this weekend. Only roads there have been closed for a few days, open today but who knows what the next couple of days will bring... There are local clubs going, so the fact that WE cannot get there won't matter one bit to the meet director. We have to drive either through a mountain pass or through another forest "gorge" to get to any meets at all, at least 3hrs drive. We are in the middle of an unprecedented bad winter (we only have an inch to go to beat the winter record of 1952 or something...) and I am not looking forward to driving to any of the meets in the next month or so...

Nope, never but it doesn't snow here.

Right now we are having the opposite issue, most of the country is being gripped by a 2 week heatwave. Temp retires in our area in the high 90's every day but many other areas are well over 100.

We had one cancelled one year. It was our home meet, and only one of the 3 days were cancelled. But, there was a state of emergency, people were without heat/power for two weeks, there was already something like 20 inches of snow on the ground and we got another 2 feet. We had one this bast weekend, with a blizzard warning. Area the meet was being held in got maybe 8 inches of snow, so not too bad. Other areas of the state got 18. It was ugly coming home, but the meet went on.

We had one day of a meet cancelled last year. It was being held at the local high school, the superintendent decided to shut all school activities down, including the meet. The weather wasn't even that bad!

We had to reschedule our home meet last fall. We had a potential Cat 5 hurricane coming right at us. We reached out to our meet director and state chairman for help with the rules. We ended up moving it to a different weekend. In the process we lost a few teams that had other meets, but also gained a couple of new teams. The customized goody bags with the kids names was the biggest nightmare though.

I'm impressed!

It's definitely not fun sometimes! We're transplants here so we've had to learn that it's just a part of living here. Oh, and we had to buy a 4wd! Lol! We (gym parents) routinely update each on road conditions as we all leave at different times.

It's definitely not fun sometimes! We're transplants here so we've had to learn that it's just a part of living here. Oh, and we had to buy a 4wd! Lol! We (gym parents) routinely update each on road conditions as we all leave at different times.
I'm sure it's not fun at all. I admire the effort.

OP - I wonder if you're talking about the very meet we're currently debating coming to... Wichita? Going to decide in the morning - we'd be driving from
KC area. [emoji45]

younger dd just had a meet that the schools and our gym even closed but the meet still went on, I was glad it happened to be only 10 min away from my house (first ever in the 6 years my kids have competed , dd 3 got 3 close meets :)

I haven't seen a meet cancelled yet. We are scheduled to go to one this weekend. Only roads there have been closed for a few days, open today but who knows what the next couple of days will bring... There are local clubs going, so the fact that WE cannot get there won't matter one bit to the meet director. We have to drive either through a mountain pass or through another forest "gorge" to get to any meets at all, at least 3hrs drive. We are in the middle of an unprecedented bad winter (we only have an inch to go to beat the winter record of 1952 or something...) and I am not looking forward to driving to any of the meets in the next month or so...
Right there with you. Sucks to be us this year. Great for the drought though!

Just my humble opinion, but I think if there's a state of emergency that specifically states no driving or something like a hurricane warning, meets should have to be cancelled. I get that it's a huge loss of money but seriously-human safety is more important.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back