Parents Meets that dictate your hotel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ac7179

Coach
Proud Parent
Is this common?

I could be wrong but my understanding of the Disney meet is that you HAVE to stay at one of the hotels on a list, unless you can provide proof that you have family in the area? Is this accurate? Having to prove anything to a meet I'm paying to enter and paying to watch rubs me entirely the wrong way, but maybe I've missed something.

Is this common?

I could be wrong but my understanding of the Disney meet is that you HAVE to stay at one of the hotels on a list, unless you can provide proof that you have family in the area? Is this accurate? Having to prove anything to a meet I'm paying to enter and paying to watch rubs me entirely the wrong way, but maybe I've missed something.
are you talking about Disney Florida? I don't know about the gymnastics meet at Disney, but this is true of the baseball tournaments we have gone to. We are DVC members (like a Disney time share) and they gave us a hard time about us wanting to stay in a DVC villas instead of the designated hotels. We eventually got it worked out and have gone back several time with no problems. This is one of the ways Disney makes more money - a lot more money. On the flip side, it is a great way to see Disney because the tux and hotel rooms are significantly discounted.

There are kids from our gym who went to a Disney meet two years ago, and I'd say over 1/2 stayed outside of the resort. It was in January 2012 at the Disney sports complex.

We went to Sand Dollar held at Disney's ESPN but some families didn't stay at Disney properties. I don't see how they can mandate that.

Yes, we're going to Sand Dollar this year and I know people who are making reservations off site. Nothing was said about that being a requirement.

My daughter's gym is competing at Sand Dollar this year too. From what I understand they competed there last year and many didn't stay at a Disney hotel, though I am told the rate at the Disney hotel was great for the quality of the room. I haven't done any research yet so I am just going off word of mouth.

We were at sand dollar last year and stayed where we wanted. What is giving you the impression that you must stay at "their" hotel?

In previous years this was true of the Presidential Classic at Disney.Your coach would need to fill a form showing you where staying with family,friends or owned time share if you chose to stay off property. This year Disney themselves are running the accomodations and you can book where you want. Disney is offering packages that include park passes,meal etc but you by no means have to use them.

We went to the sand dollar this past Jan and we could stay anywhere we wanted. We chose the Disney resorts because I am a Disney fanatic and it was easier than renting a car. Disney picked us up and we could do the busses to get around. We didn't leave the Disney resorts.

It think if I remember right you don't get the special discount on the admission to the parks tickets if you don't stay at the resort.
I would say about 1/2 stayed at the resort and 1/2 were someplace else.

I also pulled my kid from school and did a few extra days there so we could have a mom and me mini vacation. It was just what I needed in the middle of Jan when there was a good foot of snow on the ground where I live.

Thanks, guys. I think it was the Presidential Classic last year. My daughter was only a Level 4 so we didn't attend but I remember the room rates didn't seem discounted. I one Disney but I love deals, too, and I remember thinking we could do better on our own. Glad to hear they've changed that aspect.

I've heard of gyms that want the whole team to stay together at the same hotel, but never a meet that did this.

When I asked the woman who I spoke to while booking for this coming Feb. she said the company that sponsors the meet Presidential Classic had a sports travel company handling everything the last few years but no longer...Looking forward to it next year. Has anyone done this meet before?

We didn't attend the Disney meet last year, but 2 of the girls on our team did.... the meet has a cooperating hotel that discounts their rates but you are not required to stay there... the girls who went this past spring, did not stay at that hotel.

Last year our gym did the Presidential Classic and you had to book your hotel through GET travel. At first we were annoyed and very resistant to doing this, but after alot of research, we realized that their prices were competitive and the park tickets were discounted as well, if you used them.
We stayed at the All Star Sports on Disney Property because we didn't want to rent a car and they had a bus that ran to the Wide World of Sports venue. Everything ran smoothly, except the bus didn't run frequently and after the meet, it took forever for a bus to come.
The meet was well run and my girls had a great time. (It didn't hurt that one had her personal best and the other won 1st AA. lol)

Glad to hear this.. I booked All Star Sports for Feb. I will be at the Caribbean the week before for cheer.. Disney offered great pkgs this year. Better than the cheer pkg I get through UCA.

Glad to hear this.. I booked All Star Sports for Feb. I will be at the Caribbean the week before for cheer.. Disney offered great pkgs this year. Better than the cheer pkg I get through UCA.
I stayed at Caribbean when I worked the cheer worlds a few years ago...I gotta say, it way pretty awesome to go nap on the hammock on the beach during my rare hours off!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back