Parents Mental block?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hollisbecky

Proud Parent
I DD is a training level 4-5. She competed at level 3 last year and do wonderful (36.2 was her lowest meet score). She started working on the two RBFS and doing great and all of a sudden she is scared. She went to a different gym when she was younger and landed on her face one time when she was trying this skill before she was ready. We have done private lessons to help her get over this but nothing seems to be helping. She really wants to compete at a level 4 but I am afraid with this set back she will be competing at a 3 again. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

How long has the issue been occurring? These things usually resolve with time if you don't put a lot of pressure on her. Most coaches will deal with it by stepping the gymnast back to earlier drills and progressions.

There are a lot of threads on CB on vestibular issues. It sounds like this might be the case for your daughter.

Have you asked her what makes her scared? My DD was getting better at the RO which meant more power into her BHS. She actually got scared of the power and was afraid that she would accidentally do a whip back instead of a BHS. I told her to tell the coach that and the coach spent the time spotting her again until she re-gained her confidence. For some reason, gymnasts don't always want to tell their coaches what is going on - but when they do, the coach can usually help. Good luck!

She said she is scared of the 2nd back handspring, not pushing off and landing on her face. She is 9 and had an issue when she was about 6 when she landed on her face.
The coach is getting frustrated with her because instead of trying she just stands there and stares at the coach. I just keep reminding her that she can do it and needs to be positive. I will search the old posts, thanks!

I have a lot of experience with this with my DD. The only thing that helps her is time and patience. If you have any detailed questions feel free to PM me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back