WAG Mesh on Leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastbeth

Moderator/Gymnast
It's time to pick new leotards for our high school team this year. One of the team favorites is a 3 quarter length sleeve leo, with one sleeve mostly made of sheer mesh. Does anyone have experience with leotards that have mesh on them? Our concern is that it will rip too easily, and with the price of these leotards, we cannot afford any of them to rip...Any input is appreciated. :)

As I mentioned in the other post, this is our second year with mesh-sleeved leos (dreamlight) and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with them in spite of a number of them ending up in the washing machine (though I follow the very complicated instructions that involve hand washing using distilled water).

As I mentioned in the other post, this is our second year with mesh-sleeved leos (dreamlight) and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with them in spite of a number of them ending up in the washing machine (though I follow the very complicated instructions that involve hand washing using distilled water).

LOL at the bold part!

Our leos have mesh (black) at the top, around the neck. They seem to be holding up well. We are nearing the end of the 2nd season with them. I do handwash; but do not use distilled water.:p

LOL at the bold part!

Our leos have mesh (black) at the top, around the neck. They seem to be holding up well. We are nearing the end of the 2nd season with them. I do handwash; but do not use distilled water.:p
Heck, the leo cost me $200. A jug of distilled water cost me 99 cents. I figured it was worth it. Also, I knew DD would be likely to need a bigger size this year so I wanted to be sure I could resell hers. I think next year may be a new leo year (though it is, out of necessity, also a new warm-up year... old ones are discontinued) so if it was up to me, I think I'd do a 3rd year with the current leos. Anyway, maybe I won't be quite as anal-retentive about the washing instructions this year. But probably I will be. ;)

What does the distilled water do? Is it a concern about impurities in the water staining the leo?

Yes, I think especially in places with hard water (which ours is, very) there are concerns that it will discolor the fabric. But then, in 7 years of gym, I've never noticed any of her leos discolored, so I probably don't need to worry.

ah, gotcha. I can kind of see it. our leos are white too (with that metallic shine to it), so I guess we should be super carful with them. I do handwash because they are white; but have bright colored accents and I'm worried about bleed.

It's time to pick new leotards for our high school team this year. One of the team favorites is a 3 quarter length sleeve leo, with one sleeve mostly made of sheer mesh. Does anyone have experience with leotards that have mesh on them? Our concern is that it will rip too easily, and with the price of these leotards, we cannot afford any of them to rip...Any input is appreciated. :)
When my DD had one with that netting sleeve she hated it. She said it wasn't comfortable at all. Not a lot of stretch to it and its a pain to wash and clean. Although my DD's leo didn't have issues several of the other girls experienced gems falling off, small rips and a lot of pulls like a run in stocking.

I haven't made my gymmie any leos with mesh on them, but I have made several for my ballerina. I'm a seamstress and of course, not all mesh is created equal... I only use stretchy mesh and ballet dd has never complained about it being uncomfortable or weird (and trust me, she would say something)!
I do hand wash most leos, especially the ones with mesh. I see lots of mesh and lace with tears and rips at ballet ( on other girls), however those leos are for class and see tons more use than a comp Leo would. I'd still hand wash anything delicate, but it's obvious that some people do not.
I have never had a rip or tear in any of ballet dds mesh accented leos.

There's two distinct types of mesh. One is quite stretchy and soft and this seems to wear quite well and my dd finds it comfortable. The other is not stretchy, it has a tiny bit of give in it, but not much. You need to be much more careful with that sort when putting arms through (which often seem quite tight!) and adjust it carefully so it isn't under too much stress anywhere. That sort can pull and ladder more easily and my dd says it's a bit scratchy. So there's mesh and there's mesh...

Mesh on a few competition leos here and never had a problem with them ripping (and I don't follow the washing instructions--they get tossed in the washer (I do use delicate detergent though)).

DD's competition leo has long sleeves and around the neck in the front and back with mesh. She loves the leo in theory, (it is her favorite color and has lots of sparkle on it!) but in reality she doesn't like it because it is itchy for her and she complains of getting hot. The mesh has held up well (fingers crossed) and she is wearing it for the second year. I admit though I am paranoid that it will rip or tear so I am extra careful when she puts it on or takes it off. Washing it makes me very nervous!

The past 2 years, DD had 3/4 mesh sleeve leo from Dreamlight with LOTS and LOTS of gems.... I threw it in the washer every time, no problems with it at all. Our new one has even more gems and more mesh :)

We have a very pricey Dreamlight comp Leo with a ton of mesh. I was worried and took a lot of pictures of the sample so I could pick up fabric to replace it when needed (I make leos). But when my DDs actually came in, I noticed its more of a power mesh- so I doubt to see any problems with it. Power mesh won't be quite as soft- kids are more prone to complain of it as itchy, but it's tough stuff. (Think sports bras and other athletic apparel)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back