Anon High Point Gymnastics Academy

• Thread starter Anonymous (892f)
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (892f)

My daughter has been on the compulsory team for three years( 2@ l2 and 1 @ l3) She’s to repeat another year at l3. When I asked about her moving up at the end of the season All her coach says is she’s not ready. I bought this her first year. In the last few months I’ve had the chance to spend more time watching her practices. A couple things I’ve noticed Her coach plays favorites. There has been entire practices where none of the coaches have said anything directly to her. There are way too many girls for one coach. It’s not uncommon to have 20+ girls in a group (being led by a parent) conditioning. The l2’s currently have 21 girls. Her level has 15 I believe. The compulsory team only has two coaches with gymnastics experience. The others are parents who are clueless about gymnastics and one graduate student who smelled like liquor when I tried to talk to him. I have little experience with gymnastics gyms but is this normal. This just doesn’t seem right. The don’t do very well at meets even with the amount of gi they have.

I would get out of there. I would have been gone a long time ago. Quality coaches at the compulsory level are important, those groups are too big, parents shouldn't be coaching if they don't know about gymnastics, and the liquor smell is unacceptable.

My kid had about the same number of girls in level 3. They did warm up and conditioning together but were split in half (same group every practice) for events so about 7-8 girls in a group.
It is not normal for a coach to not interact with a gymnast at practice. Our girls would get feedback after most, if not every turn they took. I would also expect that every coach would be qualified to coach gymnastics except for maybe someone that is only there to do conditioning. But I would expect that person to be experienced with conditioning form for safety.
I agree with the above poster. I would switch gyms asap.

Be very careful about providing names and info - even as an anonymous poster, you gave away too much info. A coach or parent from that gym could easily notify the gym of a parent talking negatively and given what you said, the coaches will know who you are. That gym has a pretty strong xcel team. Have they suggested that for your dd? It allows for greater range of skills within a level and she may be able to continue progressing through the levels instead of repeating those lower levels.

Agree with others that you might want to request an admin to remove your post if possible.

This is a bummer to hear though. HPGA was a great gym for a while. Back when my ODD was a level 7 (maybe 2020?), she befriended a lot of the HPGA L7 girls in her age group and they were fantastic. Looked like the following year, several of them had switched to a new gym called CORE but we were not sure what had transpired in the background...

But like others have said, I've be looking elsewhere - not because of the rec to repeat but more because of how you have described the coaches.

Agree with others that you might want to request an admin to remove your post if possible.

This is a bummer to hear though. HPGA was a great gym for a while. Back when my ODD was a level 7 (maybe 2020?), she befriended a lot of the HPGA L7 girls in her age group and they were fantastic. Looked like the following year, several of them had switched to a new gym called CORE but we were not sure what had transpired in the background...
Hadn't heard of CORE but just read the site profile - the CORE owner is the former director at High Point. That may have been why gymnasts moved.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News