Parents Missing practice for homework and tests

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That would depend on how many hours you are in gym.

If you get out of school at three, need to be at gym by 4 and aren't out of gym until 8, then add commuting, dinner, sleep, shower. Exactly when would they be doing homework?

My daughter is in 5th grade, goes to gym 9 hours a week. Has minimal homework, between 45 mins to an hour. We are having to get work early and a head start. There is simply not enough hours on gym days. And I refuse to give up a family meal and her rest.

And it was a battle to get the work ahead from the teacher.

Yes, I agree with this as we are facing the same issue with when to do homework. My DD doesn't get what I consider a lot of homework (30 mins or so when she's fresh but can take longer after a full day of school plus gym). Her homework is in the form of nightly assignments in 2 subjects (not a packet for the entire week as some schools give). With school until 3:30, rush to gym 4x per week, home after 8 and still needing to shower and eat dinner there's just zero time to do homework other than staying up late (ideally she would be in bed right around the time she gets home from gym). I also wish she had no or less homework but I can't change the fact that she does.

It's also not just the number of hours in the gym. It's the schedule. So school is out at 2:30, 20 min to get home. Gym is at 5:30. Rush hour traffic means it's a 40 min. drive. Leave by 4:30 to be safe. 20 min for snack and clothes change means that's a touch over an hour to do homework before gym. Gym's over at 8. We have to pick up brother at his baseball practice and by the time we get home it's 9. Shower. Eat. Etc... How much homework can get done in that time? We're lucky though. DD only has gym on two school nights (M/W - Friday is her other day). And T&T has much fewer hours than artistic. Even a reasonable amount of homework (which we are lucky to have in 5th grade) is still a struggle on gym nights.

School comes first. Period. But I don't worry. We have an absolutely amazing coach. When I asked about gym on Halloween he said - don't even bother. They either come all hyped up on sugar or they get Halloween makeup all over my trampoline. LOL.

School, family, sports. Though in our house we are a sports family, so much of our family time revolves around sports and travel for sports. I'd absolutely keep her home from gym to finish homework or study for a big test and I know we'd have the support of the coach.

DS is on a competitive travel baseball team. They do grade checks. If they're struggling, required study hall. If their GPA is below C average, they sit. Welcome to the real world kiddos.

My XP 7th gr DD trains 16 hrs. Unfortunately Mon and Tues practices are both 430-830. We have found that homework is heavier earlier in the week. At least 2 times per month she will miss a Mon. Coach understands. Also wants to know how they are doing in school. In our house school first, gym 2nd.

What shocks me is that folks are shocked about the idea of missing gym, not that children are spending so many hours at gym and various sports at such a young age.

What shocks me is that folks are shocked about the idea of missing gym, not that children are spending so many hours at gym and various sports at such a young age.

A parent and I were just having this conversation at the gym last night. How many hours does the non-athlete kid spend playing video games or watching tv? Why is that acceptable? Most of the kids my kids know from school that aren't in athletics or music or some other extra curricular - that's what they're doing. Watching tv, playing video games. Meanwhile, my kids are learning the value of teamwork, perseverance, time management, goal setting, how to handle failure, etc... I have no problem with the hours my kids spend in the gym or on the ball field.

One more question?
Is it not possible for people In the US to travel / work/ etc for a couple of years then go to uni as a mature student?
Lots in aus/uk do this, Entry requirements are less stringent and the older students are harder workers.
It is totally possible and happens way more than people think. The tricky part is for gymnasts that may want to participate in college gym -- those opportunities are often only available immediately upon graduation, with some (esp Elites) potentially deferring for a year.

My ds is an 8th grade level 9 gymnast. He misses practice for dances, football games, and other fun stuff. If he has a required something (concert, event, etc) he will miss school. He has never missed practice for homework. He gets home from school at 3:30, does his chores, homework, hangs out with friends. We leave at 4:45 for gym. He eats dinner in the car to and from practice (45 minute drive). He reads in the car.

I am not saying sports come before school, but that he has to learn to balance the 2. IMO, one feeds the other. Physical activity improves academics, and he does well in school so he can keep doing athletics. Take one away, the other will go too.

that's what they're doing. Watching tv, playing video games. Meanwhile, my kids are learning the value of teamwork, perseverance, time management, goal setting, how to handle failure, etc... I have no problem with the hours my kids spend in the gym or on the ball field.

This why my daughter does gym. She is not a live for gymnastics kid, she likes it, works hard it, loves her gym friends. Its really the only thing she wants to do, besides watch you tube and video and games. :D

And when she used to complain about gym the conversation went like this. Me; "Honey you can quit any time" Her; (face brightening), "I can?!" Me; "Sure, but you need to tell me what you are going to do instead because media will not be the replacement."

She has never wanted to do anything else but gym.

But then I don't overload her with gym hours either. :)

Although I agree with you (and I am an educator) the fact is that if it is assigned to your child, then it is an assignment that must be completed. I am lucky that my 7th grade, lv 8, 20 hours per week daughter has a "study hall" and an hour after school before heading to the gym. She is great at time management, but when there is an assignment that needs to be completed, school comes first. Even if I don't agree with the amount of homework, or the length of time from assigned project to due date, my child will still complete it. What message am I sending to my daughter about authority figures if I talk down about a teacher or his/her requirements.

So, yes, it is dire that our children participate in physical activity because they do spend so much time in school, but I will always support education first!

She is in 8th grade, will a few missed homework assignments keep her out of college?

I know our attitude is different in Australia, but when a teacher assigns work he there are plenty of kids who don't do it.

This is when I am so thankful for the specialized high performance athlete program we have here. School is condensed into a 3 hr day and they are 100% accommodating for missed classes for meets.

That being said, I am so amazed by the stories I have seen here, as well as on a mom's group I belong to, about the overwhelming amount of homework they have in the US.

Even with the condensed curriculum, my dd in grade 8 has maybe a half hour of homework a night. And they have none of the "busy work" homework I see others doing.

She is in 8th grade, will a few missed homework assignments keep her out of college?

I know our attitude is different in Australia, but when a teacher assigns work he there are plenty of kids who don't do it.

Depends on the teacher and the school, but homework is often a big part of the overall class grade. And while most middle school grades won't affect a kid's high school GPA (which would then affect college admissions) my 7th grade DD is already taking one high school credit class and next year will have two more. So blowing off homework in those classes could be an issue in 6 years when she applies to college. I'm not saying that I agree with it -- I think it's nuts -- but that is the way it is in many areas of the U.S. for kids who aspire to elite universities.

I can not believe the amount of homework your kids get between the ages of 5-11 my eldest dd got 2 sheets a week that took maybe 10 mins max for both and you didn't have to do the homework, from age 11-13 years 7 to 9 she had a total of maybe 10 pieces of homework over that entire period again none of it took longer than an hour she has enter year 10 and gcses this September and homework had gone up to 2-3 pieces a week again at most an hour I will admit I was worried that the amount of homework that she didn't get would be bad for her but she is on track for a/a* or whatever the stupid number grades are changing to in the uk lol my gymmie is currently on the same amount as my eldest was at this age but actually begs her teacher every week for more homework lol

In 5th grade, homework is 30% of their grade. And as for not doing it, I think that's a slippery slope. I don't get to pick and choose which assignments from my boss I get to complete. Will it keep them out of college? No. But what's the long term lesson?

This is when I am so thankful for the specialized high performance athlete program we have here. School is condensed into a 3 hr day and they are 100% accommodating for missed classes for meets.

That being said, I am so amazed by the stories I have seen here, as well as on a mom's group I belong to, about the overwhelming amount of homework they have in the US.

Even with the condensed curriculum, my dd in grade 8 has maybe a half hour of homework a night. And they have none of the "busy work" homework I see others doing.
It's our eternal race to nowhere. Huge amounts of stress and busy-work when the end result could often be achieved in more efficient ways. I loved school and still love learning...I just don't think a typical school nowadays is a great place to achieve that.

Again devils advocate here. Why is it OK to blow off homework but not gym.

Odds are missing the occasional practice won't ruin the kids gymnastics career. I'm pretty sure if Aly or Simone had missed the odd practice they still would of medaled. My kid is not going to the Olympics or even college for gym. The occasional miss isn't going to slow her personal curve. School however will lead to her future education, where blowing off work won't work and that will in all likely lead to future employment career. And in your career you just go nah I'm not doing it.So yeah treating assigned work is not casual. Personally if I felt my kids work was excessive I would take it up with the school. But I wouldn't encourage her to flippantly not do it. Now how much effort goes into an assignment is about prioitizing.

JMO. We take all our obligations around here seriously. And time management and prioitizing are huge life skills. Last week we had to miss gym for her viola concert. We were lucky to get a make up in. And she has done homework the last 2 Sundays to make all her commitments work, including some fun.

No one here is talking about missing gym regularly. And yes sometimes it's not gyms day to the priority. It's about balance.

That WOULD NOT be accepted not only at school but from home either! My dd is in 7th grade and has aspirations of competing in college, but school and school work are first. She has a 4.0 and I expect that she maintains a high grade point average throughout her school career! I would be extremely concerned if my daughter brought home anything less than her best! As a parent, I don't see how accepting anything other than her best is even an option! If she is capable of straight A's then she should have straight A's! End of story!

It must be a difference in our countries, but my mind is ABSOLUTELY BLOWN by your comment!!

I am on board with the homework issue. Research shows that homework in elem years is not beneficial. Middle school is questionable. High school....eh...maybe. But really, I do not bring my work home with me unless I want to, and then I choose whether or not to do it. I should not be expected to work outside of my work hours, and although I often do, it is not required. I hate the fact that my kiddos are in school for 7 hours and are expected to spend hours at night doing homework. Home time should be for extracurriculars, hobbies, and fun. Being a kid. Not doing tons of homework. And we know that it has no benefit....but that it can cause issues.

Our schools do not count homework in the grade because there is no way of knowing who did it, or what tools were used.

Hi. Just curious as to what the policy is in your gym regarding missing practice for schoolwork. I am not talking about on a regular basis, but rather maybe once or twice a month. My daughter is in 8th grade and is a level 9. The school workload is tremendous. She manages her time very well. Ever minute not in the gym, including recess and occasionally phys ed period, is dedicated to schoolwork as well as her hours at home. Sometimes it is just not enough. Many of the high school girls experience the same thing. In our gym taking anytime off is greeted with a sarcastic comment and the girls that blow off school (and the ones that don't have the best grades) are the ones that don't get any flack. When did sports trump the importance of school? Education will always come first in our household. We don't demand all A's just that our kids do their best and sometimes they need more time. Just curious if others have the same unreasonable issue.

I'm so happy that my dd's teacher is so understanding. My dd practices 20 hours a week and is in 4th grade. Her teacher gives her a packet at the start of the week and it's not due until the following week, so she only has math homework daily. It's worked out well so far.

That WOULD NOT be accepted not only at school but from home either! My dd is in 7th grade and has aspirations of competing in college, but school and school work are first. She has a 4.0 and I expect that she maintains a high grade point average throughout her school career! I would be extremely concerned if my daughter brought home anything less than her best! As a parent, I don't see how accepting anything other than her best is even an option! If she is capable of straight A's then she should have straight A's! End of story!

It must be a difference in our countries, but my mind is ABSOLUTELY BLOWN by your comment!!

LOL. They must be doing something right. They rank much higher than us internationally in math and science....

I expect the best from my kids too, but not all the time. And to me (as a teacher) grades are only one part of their best.

But back on topic.....I think school should come first, before gym. That does not necessarily mean homework. That, to me, depends on the kid and the homework. For my older ds, who has 2 tests tomorrow, he will spend part of tonight studying. Younger ds, will not.

I think the disconnect comes from us non-US peeps, not that gym is more important that school, remember most of us practice fewer hours than your average US gymnast, 6-15 seems average for most non-elite path gymnast here,
but that
a) your volume of homework means you have to make the choice and
b) that anything done outside of school and "exam conditions" would count towards a final grade.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back