WAG Mixed dominance twisting direction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's true that a left round off twists right. My DS roundoffs left and twists left which is actually a change in direction. It becomes a thing on vault of you're doing a quarter or half-on entry since twisting back turns into a Kaz instead of a Tsuk. Not many girls do twisting Tsuks though.

There's been a lot of technical discussion on this issue on the boards over the years, but if I remember correctly, most of the most experienced coaches have said that consistent direction between roundoff and twist doesn't matter, but twisting consistently in one direction (whether front twisting or back twisting) is absolutely critical.

Both of my kids roundoff in the same direction but their twists rotate in opposite directions. Hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

I would say this is 100% correct. My gym actually teaches left round-off = right twister based on the way it translates to bars and wanting all twisting to go the same direction.

Layperson trying to understand the lingo here....

In this clip from John Orozco's twitter page (video via link below), he writes "Tsuk 2 1/2. I had trouble w/ this vault since I twist & round off in opposite directions".

https://twitter.com/johnorozco/status/711694616647434240

It appears to me that Mr. Orozco Round-offs "Left" (meaning his left hand hits the floor or vault table first), but twists "Right" in the flipping part (meaning he turns toward his right side, aka "clockwise").

Did I get that correct? Or are we saying that a "left-hand-first" roundoff is actually considered "Right"?? Trying to follow...

Lingo aside, my son round-offs the same way as Mr. Orozco and was instructed by his coach to twist right (he naturally went back and forth). I do not know the logic. It seems like in the specific vault example above it is perhaps a disadvantage.

Left hand first = right-twisting roundoff.

I wonder if Orozco is having trouble because he's trying to change from Kas to Tsuk? And why the heck he'd be doing that?

Coaches, help us dumb parents!!!

Sasha, which way does your guy circle on pommel horse? My son is pretty right dominant so far.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but when DS works on twisting a 1/4 on entry, he goes back the opposite direction from how he twisted on, and he tells me it's a Kaz. It looks more like an Arabian than the Tsuks do. At least that's how I see it.

So to add to this discussion - for any of you that are far enough along, what arm is your post arm for blind changes on bars? My lefties, (round off left, twist left and post arm left), have had no trouble...

What about a back 1 1/2 step out? If you twist right and round off left, it would be impossible?!?!

Left hand first = right-twisting roundoff.

I wonder if Orozco is having trouble because he's trying to change from Kas to Tsuk? And why the heck he'd be doing that?

Coaches, help us dumb parents!!!

Sasha, which way does your guy circle on pommel horse? My son is pretty right dominant so far.

(pardon if this derails OP's original question!)

Ok, I had to go back and watch videos...
  • My guy circles clockwise on pommel (to the right).
  • In life, he is Right Handed, Right Footed, Right eyed.
  • His left leg in front split is his 'good leg'.
  • Coach has instructed him to "twist right" (just learning drills here so far), though he had originally gone back and forth.
  • For round-off and cartwheel, he leads with his left foot and hand.
  • For tumbling, the last foot before hurdle to touch the floor is his Right (so Left knee goes up in a hurdle).
  • For Vault, the last foot to touch the runway before hurdle is his Left (so Right knee goes up in a hurdle position before both feet hit the board together). He has not yet worked any vaults other than FHS (as he is L6).

I am just realizing his Vault hurdle and his Floor hurdle may be opposite??? Is that bad???

So to add to this discussion - for any of you that are far enough along, what arm is your post arm for blind changes on bars? My lefties, (round off left, twist left and post arm left), have had no trouble...

What about a back 1 1/2 step out? If you twist right and round off left, it would be impossible?!?!
DS round offs left and twists left. He leaves his left arm on when doing a blind change. Boys don't really do tumbling with step outs so I don't think he's ever tried that. I've seen him do beam back handspring step outs just messing around on low beam. I can't remember which leg leads though.

Mine learned her blind one way at her old gym, though only through the point of doing drills. She's having to learn it the opposite way at her new gym, and since she hadn't done it too much at the old gym is doing okay going the other way now. I don't fully understand how it all works, but she mentioned, because she twists the "wrong" way, she's doing her shootovers the way a leftie would though she's a rightie?!? She's only done punching skills out of her 1 1/2s so far, so I have no clue how that may work in the future. Most of the stuff she tells me these days feel like greek so I just smile and nod. :)

When DS pirouettes on floor, turns on high bar, and circles, he goes counter clockwise. Like ZJsMom's guy, his left arm stays on the bar for a blind, and his vault catch rotates counter clockwise as well.

Given the directions they twist, DS and DD should not do mushroom circles in the same direction, but they do.

Hopefully one of the coaches will check in, Sasha, but I'd think a vault and floor hurdle should be done the same way. DS had one vault this season where he didn't get a chance to warm up the event due to the chaos of the warmup situation, and he ended up hurdling off the wrong foot. He made it, but thank goodness it was only a yami half and not something death defying.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back