Parents More on jealousy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We left a gym when my child was very young for that reason. Coaches did nothing, owners did nothing...so "I" did something. It wasn't going to stop, and as prepared as I made my child, I didn't feel she needed to go to war everyday...nor did I....gym was a place of enjoyment for her...so.....off we went. No looking back. No problems since. and no regrets.

Apparently from watching practice she is not sure why anyone is skipping a level:mad:. Mom and Dad have been at all of every practice for at least 3 months.

Wow - so the dad is involved in the craziness too? - do they drag along any non-gymnast siblings to their family gym practice watching parties? Yeah, for your and your DDs sake, I hope she gets moved to another practice group soon - preferably one that practices different days and times than when the L5's practice.

If they are that upset that they are lashing out at teammates and parents, I would be willing to bet the coaches are getting an earful too. I would look for them to probably do a gym switch in the near future, and honestly that might be best for everyone involved (well everyone involved at your gym anyway lol).

I'm sorry for you and your DD...and the other teammates, jealousy just plain sucks!

To answer your questions, "What would I do"...well I'd do both of the options you presented - avoid them and make small talk, when you have to.

It will be much easier on your than on your DD as you can just drop and pick up, sit away from the jealous gymmies parents at meets, and if you find yourself standing next to them a nod and smile is more than enough to remain polite.

It's so tough but I'd encourage your DD to just ignore any negativity from them. If it continues or gets worse I think a talk with the HC should be in order. As time goes on it is likely to pass and it will just be another bump in the road of life that your DD will look back on that made her stronger.

I've seen this at our own gym and found that the jealous gymmie was under enormous pressure at home so she ended up letting it out on her teammates. I'd also remind her to remain nice and polite but take the high road and avoid engaging with her when she tries to talk negative, bring her down, and act jealous

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back