Parents Move or not to move

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

4 hrs isn't enough, regardless of how the time is used. If you think she has potential, and are considering using this next year as a trial at your present gym, why not do your "trial" at the farther gym? You can probably manage it for a year, and if it turns out great, you won't have to move gyms.

Level 4 only practices 4 hours per week?! Really? I am surprised to hear of even a level 3 team with such low hours. If she has placed 1st AA at every meet (presumably scoring higher than girls who practice 3x as many hours as she does) she is probably very talented! You didn't mention if there are other gyms in your area that would be a reasonable commute -I would say if it's easy enough to switch you definitely should. But if switching means making big sacrifices then it depends how important her gymnastics training/progress is to your family.
Our level 3 team was at 4 hours for year. This year an extra practice was added for those who wanted more hours. But level 4, no way would it be that low.

We just moved my son from a program where he would have gone 14 hours a week to a smaller program that trains 9. He is a almost level 6 ( likely will compete 5 to start but 6 by the end of the year). How hours are used is so important. I'm not sure 4 is enough even if a small group and really efficient. In our case, gym #1 had large training groups with lots of standing around. At the new gym often the group is 9 and there are 2 coaches. There is NO standing around. Since our change, he has gotten stronger and is
Back to having fun. My point is more isnt always better. After the season, is a good time to be prepared to make the change
This, my daughter did 7.5 hours at L3, now she trains 9 at L4 and will do the same for L5 probably, she could add 3 more a week but it doesn't work with our schedule, we will readdress when we get to optionals

I'd also want to know how many kids are in the group? If there's heaps, I can't possibly see how they would all get enough time on each event in only 4 hours a week?

We train "low hours" in comparison to some of you guys, but we have an awesome coach and only 7 kids in our group. And occasionally have the whole gym to ourselves on Sunday's. They all do pretty well.

This is the perfect time to make the switch. That is when we moved, right after L3 States. It was for the very same reasons. I think I would have regretted staying longer, she has progressed so much in the last year and 1/2.
This is exactly my thoughts too. We also left after Level 3 states and have not regretted it. The way I see it is she would not be the gymnast today without the swrich
This is the perfect time to make the switch. That is when we moved, right after L3 States. It was for the very same reasons. I think I would have regretted staying longer, she has progressed so much in the last year and 1/2.
Same with me. I moved her after Level 3. No regrets.

That's really a low number of hours. If you are unhappy with the gym and are even having to ask about a move, it's time to move on. I wouldn't think 45 minutes is terrible since I know we have folks at our gym who travel an hour. We were lucky to move after my DD's L4 season 12 hours a week from old gym 10-15 minutes away to current gym 7-10 minutes away for L5 16 hours a week. We're truly lucky to have such an AWESOME gym that is so close to us!! Good luck to your dd on finding a better gym opportunity!!

We've moved twice. Once after level 7(DD was 11) for a better optional program, and 2 years later (just this past spring after an injury ended her 1st year at lvl9) just because there were a lot of changes in the coaching and other issues that the gym was no longer the right fit for us and did not fit in with her goals. We currently drive 35 - 45 minutes both ways depending on traffic. It is a pain sometimes, especially when my hubby is night turn and my son has practice too, I sometimes feel like I spend the whole night in my car. My advice is go with your gut. Try it for a week or two....most gyms will give you a trial especially if a long drive is involved. Nothing is permanent. Be careful not to burn any bridges. Good Luck.

Our commute is 80 miles each way, and with traffic ( and what seems to be never ending construction projects) , it has been taking us between 2 to 2.5 hours each way....I can tell you, this is not ideal....
I've done a 40 mile each way with DD for a year. It was horrible and my family suffered greatly.

Also level 4 is a HUGE jump skills wise (kip, vault, cartwheel on beam). Just doing well at 3 is not an indication of how they will do at 4. Trust me. DD rocked 3 and is reappearing 4 this year

That said IMO 4 hours a week is not enough as they get into bigger skills

Our commute is 80 miles each way, and with traffic ( and what seems to be never ending construction projects) , it has been taking us between 2 to 2.5 hours each way....I can tell you, this is not ideal....

You seriously spend four or five hours in the car every day just going back and forth to gymnastics? I/We just wouldn't be able to make that work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back