Parents Moving from IGC to USAG Level 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastics4ever

Proud Parent
Hey everyone - this might sound odd, but in today's competitive culture - is my daughter starting "late" by being 8 years old (turns 9 in October) and starting at Level 2? I am new to this and just got a strange vibe from some Level 2 moms yesterday about how their kids are 7 and younger. I truly do just want what is best for my daughter and try not to care what other people think but I just want to make sure that I am giving her the right opportunity to pursue what she loves. I see other kids her age at Levels 5 and 6 now! Right now she is in an IGC program. Perspective welcome! thank you

Everyone's journey is a bit different and you will get a lot of varying opinions. How does your daughter feel about the move to Level 2 - is she excited? What are her hopes at this point for her gymnastics? What prompted the switch between programs? I would let those questions guide you in this. If she is happy and this is what she wants, then great!

As for our experience --- Our gym does not have a level 2 - that would be closer to our pre-team group. Most of the kids in that group are 5-6 years old. We start competing at Level 3 at our gym and the girls do tend to be on the young side, but not always. When DD started level 3 there was a group of older girls in there too... some of them are still on the team and have moved up the levels with DD throughout the years. DD's level 7 team this year had 10 year olds (DD's age) up to age 13 (8th grade). That age gap seemed to be much greater when she was 5/6 starting out than it does now. And those 'older' girls, have continued to progress and are talented, committed, happy gymnasts as well. We have also had girls who are a bit older start in Xcel program and make the switch to JO and be very successful; they just didn't get a super early start in the sport. One of our level 8 girls has only been in gymnastics for 3 years; she is 12 and is incredible. Don't let the age stuff discourage you at this point.

My DD left USAIGC almost one year ago. She was IGC gold. What USAIGC level is your daughter currently competing? I agree do not let age discourage you or your DD. There are many paths you could pursue in an attempt to meet your DD's dreams and desires. I think the first step is actually determining what your DD wants and what your family is willing to do in an attempt to help your DD meet her dreams.

Moving to JO following the traditional path
Moving to a JO gym that will fast track your DD
Staying in USAIGC and pushing her skills to the JO optional levels then testing out of JO 4 and 5

My DD left USAIGC almost one year ago. She was IGC gold. What USAIGC level is your daughter currently competing? I agree do not let age discourage you or your DD. There are many paths you could pursue in an attempt to meet your DD's dreams and desires. I think the first step is actually determining what your DD wants and what your family is willing to do in an attempt to help your DD meet her dreams.

Moving to JO following the traditional path
Moving to a JO gym that will fast track your DD
Staying in USAIGC and pushing her skills to the JO optional levels then testing out of JO 4 and 5

thanks. she is copper. she wants more hours and asked for it herself! IGC is only two days a week for a few hours a day and she spends lots of time waiting in line for other kids to do their thing. We can see the JO kids work out in the same gym and she is constantly asking me why she is not with them

Everyone's journey is a bit different and you will get a lot of varying opinions. How does your daughter feel about the move to Level 2 - is she excited? What are her hopes at this point for her gymnastics? What prompted the switch between programs? I would let those questions guide you in this. If she is happy and this is what she wants, then great!

As for our experience --- Our gym does not have a level 2 - that would be closer to our pre-team group. Most of the kids in that group are 5-6 years old. We start competing at Level 3 at our gym and the girls do tend to be on the young side, but not always. When DD started level 3 there was a group of older girls in there too... some of them are still on the team and have moved up the levels with DD throughout the years. DD's level 7 team this year had 10 year olds (DD's age) up to age 13 (8th grade). That age gap seemed to be much greater when she was 5/6 starting out than it does now. And those 'older' girls, have continued to progress and are talented, committed, happy gymnasts as well. We have also had girls who are a bit older start in Xcel program and make the switch to JO and be very successful; they just didn't get a super early start in the sport. One of our level 8 girls has only been in gymnastics for 3 years; she is 12 and is incredible. Don't let the age stuff discourage you at this point.

yes she is excited! she has been competing level copper for a year and in the gym only two days a week for two hours and is constantly begging for more. I see her working on her skills on the sidelines while waiting for other kids to do their turn in practice, and she is so serious and focused. it is very obvious she is crying out for more coaching and direction.

Good Luck to you and your DD on this crazy journey. I would love to know where this lands, please update us when you have her path determined.

The final thought from me. My Dani made the switch and seems to be enjoying her time in JO. I know she gets frustrated when she can't work new skills constantly, but I believe she needed the extra conditioning and strength if she wants to continue to grow as a gymnast.

I feel like that is a little older than average. But if she is excited and happy and the gym supports it, then age shouldn’t be an issue.

And if those Level 2 parents continue to give you a strange vibe, just ignore them.

Good luck to your DD!

Might be a little older than average for Level 2 -- but it seems to me that age matters less and less as the years and levels pass. You will find that some girls repeat levels, some skip levels, etc. At our gym, most of the Level 2 team is around age 6. But our Level 7 team spans ages 9-13. In other words, age won't matter in the long run. One more story: One of my DD's teammates was an older Level 2 at the gym (age 7, turned 8). She skipped straight to Level 4 (age 8, turned 9) and joined my DD's group. Level 4 was a bit of a struggle at the start of the season (especially bars) but then things started to click. The summer after Level 4 she was selected for TOPS (age 9) and scored very well. She scored out of Level 5, skipped Level 6, and just finished a very successful Level 7 season (age 9, turned 10). My point, I guess, is that anything is possible. If your DD is asking for JO, then give it a try. Who cares about age, and who cares about catty gym moms who gossip or pass judgement!!

Good luck!!

Hey everyone - this might sound odd, but in today's competitive culture - is my daughter starting "late" by being 8 years old (turns 9 in October) and starting at Level 2? I am new to this and just got a strange vibe from some Level 2 moms yesterday about how their kids are 7 and younger. I truly do just want what is best for my daughter and try not to care what other people think but I just want to make sure that I am giving her the right opportunity to pursue what she loves. I see other kids her age at Levels 5 and 6 now! Right now she is in an IGC program. Perspective welcome! thank you

There is a huge range of ages. She is not too old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back