Parents Moving, looking for gym in Portland

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MabelSt

Proud Parent
We're planning on moving over the summer. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for gyms in Portland. I've googled gyms, but it's so hard to tell gym atmosphere from their websites. We're planning to visit over the summer and move before school starts. Any recommendations are approciated, thanks:)

Where will you be? What are you looking for? Naydenov in Vancouver is the best in the area but westside in Tigard and omega in Beaverton are both good gyms. There is also precision elite in clackamas. I don't know much about them but they seemed to have some high scoring sixes and sevens but no upper levels. Their coach won Oregon coach of the year. Maybe a newer program?

Oregon:) thanks! I'll look those up! I'm not 100% sure yet which neighborhood, we're going this summer to decide and look for schools.

Thanks for the ideas:) are any of those gyms particularly supportive/have good team atmospheres? She's a hard worker but not a perfect gymnast, I want her to be happy. I'm open to xcel maybe if they do a lot of conditioning:)

We're planning on moving over the summer. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for gyms in Portland. I've googled gyms, but it's so hard to tell gym atmosphere from their websites. We're planning to visit over the summer and move before school starts. Any recommendations are approciated, thanks:)
Make sure you check out SWAG (Southern Washington Academy of Gymnastics) in Vancouver, just across I-5. We are a brand new gym with amazing coaches! My daughter has been there since August and we are so happy.

Reactions: sce
Make sure you check out SWAG (Southern Washington Academy of Gymnastics) in Vancouver, just across I-5. We are a brand new gym with amazing coaches! My daughter has been there since August and we are so happy.
Me being nosy............ How do the compete in the USA?

Comparatively little xcel in Oregon, BTW...and wide variety of JO programs. Its region 2, so due to low population density and fewer deep coaching staffs, overall less competitive than other regions, but some very well trained kids come out of here...

Portland has quite a few teams, mostly on the west side. Nadyenov is definitely the "elite" type training team, and their girls are young and clean. I've heard that their hours are much higher than others but that is absolutely just hearsay - they do look great! No idea how happy they are.

MAC and Omega have produced lots of Level 9-10s over the 7 years my kids have competed against them. Precision Elite is newer and growing (not much on the East side of Portland), thus their lower number of upper level kids. We are not directly in that area, just see the Portland teams at most meets, and I've sat through A LOT OF MEETS, so that's my perspective.

Basically lots of choices but not tons (or really any) big powerhouse gyms. I know several people who have moved then checked the gyms out before chosing - and drive a bit if need be.

Like all areas, there has been coaching flux and some gyms that are strong boys programs aren't the strongest girls. Depending upon where you are coming from you may be surprised overall. As a small region and state, in general teams are more accepting of hard working pleasant kids who may not be rockstars, but there are still good coaches and differences in team atmosphere.

Good luck and welcome to the Northwest!

Thanks for the ideas:) are any of those gyms particularly supportive/have good team atmospheres? She's a hard worker but not a perfect gymnast, I want her to be happy. I'm open to xcel maybe if they do a lot of conditioning:)

Hi! We are in Portland, OR. PM me and we can talk offline. :) How old is your daughter? Mine just turned 10 and sounds very similar to yours!

Actually, I guess I'm new enough that I don't even know how to private message or if it is even possible on here?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back