Parents Moving more quickly than I expected...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter, K, started gymnastics in June. Six months later, she's progressed to intermediate, skipping through two recreational levels in this session. I talked to her coach and he asked me if we were interested in team at all, or if we would prefer her to stay in recreational. I said we would be interested in team eventually, and he said she might be asked to do pre-team next year, depending on how her skills progressed. They don't start competing until 7 years old, which is a little over a year away (K turns 6 in March).

I guess I never expected her to progress so quickly - when she started she couldn't even do a cartwheel. :) She only goes one hour a week, and it's only been six months. Any thoughts or advice on what we can expect? I'm aware of the financial costs, as the tuition list for pre-team and team is posted every September, along with the practice times.

I don't want to push her, and I've asked her if she wants to do soccer again, or try teeball, basketball, karate, dance, etc. She just says no, thank you - only gymnastics! :)

Any advice or thoughts would be wonderful and very appreciated :)

Sounds like she's doing well. The term "pre team" means different things at every gym. Look at the practice times and increased cost. Ask questions about where this all leads---are they working to compete L3, L4 or L5?? You might even try watching a pre team practice to get a better idea of how its different(other than length of time) than what dd is doing now..
As for the other activities, I would try and find something else she might like and reassure her that she doesn't have to stop gymnastics to do something else.

I don't think it's unusual for a gym to move a gymnast up quickly when they see promise. Generally it's to a group that is being "groomed" for team. At DD's old gym, those were the "Gymstars." At her current gym, there is Preteam I and Preteam II. Preteam II is actually invited to start participating in some team activities (including booster club and fundraising) starting in January. I suspect that generally moving them up to a "pre-pre-team" kind of group like they have with your daughter has 2 advantages... they get to focus on specific skills that will help them in competition rather than the more general gym/fitness/games types of activities that they might get in the beginning rec classes. The teacher/student ratio might be higher and she'll be in class with other girls who are showing promise. But it also gets the parents thinking about team. See, they've already planted the seed in your brain... otherwise you would have found Chalk Bucket. Which makes it more likely that you'll show special interest in your daughter's gymnastics progress, which will, in turn, make her more likely to continue, etc...

Anyway, welcome to the crazy world of gymnastics. And welcome to the Chalk Bucket!

Thanks for your replies! We're definitely aware of the cost...and costly it is. Yikes. There are three pre-team levels, and they work out 3 1/2 hours, 1, 2, or 3 days a week, depending on which level they're at. They're preparing to compete level 5, I believe. I'm trying to wrap my mind around a 6 year old training that much. K is so tired after one one-hour class!

I think we'll probably encourage her to sign up for another activity, too - something that's not time-heavy, but just to show her she can do other things without giving up gymnastics. That's a good idea.

Thanks for the advice! Whew...it's going to be quite a ride if she continues! :)

Sounds like what my gymmie was in during her pre-team years. She'll probably adapt just fine to practice at 3.5 hours/week, but if you see that she's just really tired out, talk to the coach. I'm sure she'll work more on conditioning, flexibility and the basic drills for all 4 events. Going from rec to being ready for L5 will take some time---good time to plant that money tree:)

Thanks for your replies! We're definitely aware of the cost...and costly it is. Yikes. There are three pre-team levels, and they work out 3 1/2 hours, 1, 2, or 3 days a week, depending on which level they're at. They're preparing to compete level 5, I believe. I'm trying to wrap my mind around a 6 year old training that much. K is so tired after one one-hour class!

I think we'll probably encourage her to sign up for another activity, too - something that's not time-heavy, but just to show her she can do other things without giving up gymnastics. That's a good idea.

Thanks for the advice! Whew...it's going to be quite a ride if she continues! :)

My DD was 6 when she moved up to team and her hours jumped from 3 to 9 1/2 hrs per week. It did take her a time to adjust- I think it was about a month before she didn't seem totally exhausted. The upside was that it was never a challenge to get her to go to bed on gym days.:D Good luck to your daughter! I hope her adjustment goes smoothly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back