Parents Moving to NYC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, so my family is moving to NYC next year. My DD is going to be a 2nd year xcel diamond next year, and I was wondering if you had any recommendations as to what gyms have good programs, specifically xcel programs.

Any insight as to what the best gyms in NYC are would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to NY and NYC. It may be helpful to indicate which borough of the city you may be bc the commute to/from your desired gym may take some time. If time is not an issue that would also be helpful. I am outside of the city but commute in - btw.

There are a few good NYC gyms I have seen at USAG competitions this past season - including states, however, I cannot speak to XCEL programs.

Any commute length is fine for us, but ideally staying in the city would be good. We are open to going out of the city, but we would probably want to avoid that. For reference, we will be living in the Manhattan area.

Start with Chelsea Piers, NYC Elite, and Gotham. Gotham has DP and NGAIC but not xcel. They poached a lot of girls from NYC Elite when they opened. I think Chelsea Piers has DP but their xcel team stops at Platinum. Given constraints on team size, unless you have a specific idea of your apt. + school locations, it’s probably worth setting up tryouts at all 3 gyms to try to find a spot.

Hi, so my family is moving to NYC next year. My DD is going to be a 2nd year xcel diamond next year, and I was wondering if you had any recommendations as to what gyms have good programs, specifically xcel programs.

Any insight as to what the best gyms in NYC are would be greatly appreciated!

None of the big name gyms in NYC offer Xcel, it will be much more likely you end up finding a USAIGC program. LPmom is correct in naming Chelsea Piers, NYC Elite, and Gotham are your three main choices, depending on where you move. Gotham is the newest of the bunch and owned by two former NYC Elite coaches (and 2 additional former NYC Elite coaches also work there). They have had great success already in the DP, not sure what their USAIGC program truly looks like though.

Chelsea Piers is on the West Side of Manhattan in Chelsea and has Xcel: they had girls compete Silver-Diamond last season. They also have DP. The 92nd St Y on the Upper East Side has a small Xcel team too.

NYC Elite and Gotham both do USAIGC instead of Xcel. NYC Elite has three locations: Upper West Side, Upper East Side, and Tribeca. Gotham is in the Gowanus area of Brooklyn. Gotham is likely the most intense of the NYC gyms for DP, but I don’t know about their IGC team.

There are a few other smaller gyms in BK and Queens, but if you are in Manhattan, CP or Elite are probably your best bets.

None of the big name gyms in NYC offer Xcel, it will be much more likely you end up finding a USAIGC program. LPmom is correct in naming Chelsea Piers, NYC Elite, and Gotham are your three main choices, depending on where you move. Gotham is the newest of the bunch and owned by two former NYC Elite coaches (and 2 additional former NYC Elite coaches also work there). They have had great success already in the DP, not sure what their USAIGC program truly looks like though.
Some gyms in NY do offer XCEL and momentum is picking up, more gyms are adding XCEL to their program or switching from USAIGC. Chelsie Piers, PROGRESSIVE, Towers Gymnastics and Apex Gymnastics are a few examples of competitive gyms that offer XCEL in NY.

Some gyms in NY do offer XCEL and momentum is picking up, more gyms are adding XCEL to their program or switching from USAIGC. Chelsie Piers, PROGRESSIVE, Towers Gymnastics and Apex Gymnastics are a few examples of competitive gyms that offer XCEL in NY.
Just keep in mind that Towers and Apex are deep into Suffolk county and would probably be a 2 hour commute (each way)at that time of day from Manhattan. Not realistic for the OP.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back