My lower back needs help...big time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi guys, hoping for some help with lower back exercises! Both for strength and flexibility.

I'm not sure which one I am missing, all I know is that things like front walkovers and bridges hurt my lower back. Upper back is fine. The rest of me is very flexible, no problems with over-splits and shoulder stretches or anything, so it's not a whole-body thing.

When I do backbends and bridges etc, it almost feels like (I know this isn't what it really is, just what it feels like! :D) there are two bones up against each other that are limiting me from bending any further. Right above where my tailbone is. I'm sure that's not the case, but it's exactly how I would describe it! So whether it's flexibility or strength, I'm in need some help. Any particular exercises or stretches you would recommend?

Thanks heaps!!

Last edited:
Get on a foam roller and roll out your upper and middle back. Get a small ball like a baseball, softball, lacrosse ball, tennis ball, or golf ball and then lay on it where it seems to be giving your problems.

Lay on it and wiggle around till you loosen up. It will be a pleasuring and painful experience that might concern some onlookers.

Exercises such as horizontal leg lifts where you lie on the horse or a block. You can add weight to these eventually but I would start with them slow up, slow down for now. 5 seconds up, 2 seconds hold, 5 seconds down. Last rep of 10 hold for 10s.

Arch holds and arch rocks may be useful as would be deadlifting variants. Skin the would be very useful as well.

Planks and plank holds while using a yoga/swiss/stability bal

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to have your back checked out. You are very descriptive and seem to Know what your body is telling you. Have this checked out first, before you try to "exercise" it out. Any time just one area has a "glitch", your body is trying to tell you something. If all checks out OK, I would be glad to share specific back exercises.

I would definately get it checked out, either by a chiropractor or an orthopedist. Two years ago I had lower back pain and ignored it for a couple months. When I finally went to the chiropractor I found out I had a spondylolisthesis, a pretty serious back condition that could have been helped a lot better if I had gotten it checked out earlier and was probably caused by going crooked on backwalkovers on beam. I ended up having to take off two months and had back pain for most of the season. It still hurts sometimes. Not to scare you but you should get it checked out. :)

Oh, gosh! I never thought it could be an actual problem-problem! :eek:

I don't know who to get it checked by... a chiropractor? They're quite expensive though. My dad's a doctor (GP) but I don't know whether to ask him about it because he has that kind of attitude like "oh yeah it's fine, you'll be fine" sorta thing... lol :p But at least it would be free. Or else I could visit my local GP which would cost $50 just for the appointment, and then she might refer me to a chiropractor anyway... *man I overthink things a bit huh!*

So on that note, what would you do?? Where do you think I should go: Dad/Doctor/Chiropractor?

Go to the Doctor/physiotherapist and fill it out as an ACC claim. Just word your story so it sounds like it is more the result of an injury. ACC surcharges are generally range between $15 and $60 so shop around for a doctor who charges less. Unless John key has drastically changed things, any X-rays, MRI's follow up care should be free of charge/very cheep.

You know John Key?! :eek: You're good! :cool:

That's an idea, a good idea, thanks for your reply. I know my medical insurance wouldn't cover it, it only covers operations/surgery. Though I've never filled out an ACC claim before... I'll have a look at it now and see what I can find out. "Make it sound like the result of an injury", hehehe...!

Lol, almost looks like this thread is turning into a medical cost thread! Typical me! :eek: I appreciate the helpful replies though, just thought I'd mention that again. Never even occurred to me to get it checked out, so that's a step in the right direction!

***EDIT: ok so I looked it up, they say they won't do anything unless an injury has been diagnosed. Pain just in and of itself, is not covered. Neither is gradual pain not caused by an occupation. I don't know how I'd be able to chalk it up to an injury. Hmm..

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back