My New Challenge

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

PoM ChIcK

I have had many challenges in my life. My Challenges have had to do with gymnastics, tumbling, and fccla. I have always been able to figure out all of the challenges someway. Now I have a new challenge I cannot figure out. In Novemeber I was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes, aka..type one diabetes. It has been so hard to handle it and gymnastics. I haven't told much people, because I want to be know as a good gymnast or tumbler and not as the girl who has diabetes. I recently went to a meet and as soon as I was about to compete my sugar dropped. So I had to go get get my testing supplies and take my sugar then go eat and then put on my pump for a few minutes and I didn't know what to tell everyone. How do I start telling people that I am a diabetic now? And does anyone know how I can handle my diabetes at competitons and while at practice? It's really upsetting me.
:(

I would be open about it. They`ll probably be shocked at first but Im sure they will support and help you. If you keep everything to yourself they wont understand you and you will constantly have to lie to them. Im sure they won`t only see you as the gymnast with diabetes. If anything they will gain respekt for you and everything you accomplish.

contact allison buckley, who is on the team at U of I in illinois. you will find her contact on the college website. she will be best able to help you.:)

I too know many gymnasts with diabetes and the great news is that gymnastics is very good for diabetes. You will find that because you exercise a lot you won't need as much insulin as a diabetic who does not.

You will find that managing your condition gets easier as you have been diagnosed longer. You will start to learn more about your body and learn what the right things to eat before a meet are and how much insulin you need and so on and the chances of hitting a low or a high at an inconvenient time will significantly decrease.

If people ask the best way is to tell them straight "I have diabetes". People will remember you for your gymnastics and your personality not your condition.

I think it is important to tell your coaches and your teamates - they will be your best support network. Also, when you have a condition of any sort it is best to let the people around you know so they can help you should your sugar drop and you don't feel well.

PLEASE tell your coaches, at least. It's for your safety.

One of those oh so stylin' medicIDs isn't a bad idea either, again, for your safety.

There's no reason you can't be that girl who can do all those awesome skills and who happens to have diabetes, but you DO need to take reasonable precautions...like making sure the adults in charge know what's going on.

You absolutely have to let your coaches know. They need to be able to help you out if your blood sugar drops and they need to know why you might need a break to check your blood sugar etc. Maybe once you've talked with the coaches, they can help you tell the other girls.

My gymmie was on team with a girl diagnosed with diabetes when she was 12. She had an insulin pump and the girls were very supportive, but also took it in stride. They could always tell when Suzie's (not her real name) blood sugars were getting low based on how they saw her doing in practice. No biggie---they would tell Suzie it was time to check her blood sugar. The girls did not treat Suzie any differently than any other girl on the team and she competed L7 and L8 before leaving gymnastics to pursue another sport(she's become very successful in that also!). This girl went on travel meets with the team and did everything anyone else did.

So, it can be done and I think the girls will be much more understanding than you think. Yes, probably alot of questions to start, but they knew you before the diagnosis and I think you'll find nothing really has changed.

The best thing about your diabetes is that with diet and exercise (which you are getting with gym) your diabetes can be reversed. Till then stay strong and be honest. If anything tell your coach because thats a definite need to know for a coach because if something does happen at a practice or competition, they will need to know what is going on to help you. If you don't tell your coach, then you may face getting in big trouble. As for your teammates, just be honest. How do you know one of them isn't diabetic too?

The best thing about your diabetes is that with diet and exercise (which you are getting with gym) your diabetes can be reversed.
Not true.
I dealt with a chronic illness as a gymnast which I attempted to hide from my coaches and teammates as much as possible. The time it did come out, it was a hugely embarrassing situation for me, but probably only because I was so self conscious about it already and did not have a very good relationship with my teammates. However, I think it really would have been much to my benefit to be upfront with at least my coaches about the situation. Leaving them totally in the dark just made for some frustrating situations for everyone. They did not know that there would be times I might need special provisions, so sometimes they just thought I was being difficult. After I left the sport and one of my previous coaches really found what was going on she actually got in touch to apologize. My condition was not changed in anyway by physical activity, so in that respect it is very different from yours, but it was embarrassing for me and totally foreign to my teammates. But I really cannot emphasize how important it is to let your coaches know. Especially in a situation where your athletic activity can significantly influence your medical condition.
It is very true that teammates, especially at certain ages, can be cruel, but I don't think you should have too much of a problem in this case, especially if you have already developed a friendship with these teammates. You certainly do not need to tell them, especially if you don't have a close relationship with them already. You really need to discern for yourself what is the best move. But if you do decide to tell them, just let them know it doesn't change who you are or what you are capable of, it's just another step you need to take in your daily life. I'm sure there are resources for teens for Type 1 diabetes and some of them probably include tips on how to discuss the issue with your friends.
Also, doesn't one of the Jonas Brothers have Type 1 diabetes? You could probably use him as a point of reference because he is an immensely successful individual who does everything, and more, that other people his age do.
Best wishes with letting your coaches know and developing a better understand of yourself during this time, more experience will only help you deal better.

The best thing about your diabetes is that with diet and exercise (which you are getting with gym) your diabetes can be reversed.

Not true at all. And (as someone with chronic health issues) it really hurts if someone you know--as opposed to someone on the internet--tells you this kind of misinformation. Even if they mean well. ESPECIALLY, I think, when they mean well.

the word "reversed" threw me for a loop. probably not what word she intended to use.

I know this is a little OT, but to correct one comment, DM type 2 can be controlled with diet and exercise meaning these patients can decrease or stop taking medication. However, the OP has DM type 1 and this cannot be reversed with diet and exercise. Diet and exercise can go a long way in helping patients maintain normal blood sugars, however they can never stop using insulin. Great progress is being made in looking for "cures" for diabetes, but to date there are none. Hopefully, the OP will be in the generation that does see a major breakthrough in her lifetime.

Diabetes whether Type 1 or 2 can never be reversed.

The best thing about your diabetes is that with diet and exercise (which you are getting with gym) your diabetes can be reversed. Till then stay strong and be honest. If anything tell your coach because thats a definite need to know for a coach because if something does happen at a practice or competition, they will need to know what is going on to help you. If you don't tell your coach, then you may face getting in big trouble. As for your teammates, just be honest. How do you know one of them isn't diabetic too?

Type I can not be reversed but Type II may be if it is caused more by overweight issues.

But you do need to tell people you have it. I was diagnosed with type II 4 years ago and have been successful with diet and exercise control. Your coaches, teachers and friends should know you have it so they can help you. the more you share the more others can help you cope with this. it's not the end of the world and many many people live with diabeties. Talk to your endocrinologist to see what can be done for meets. You haven't even lived with this for a year yet so your still in the "lets figure this out" stage. eventually you will figure out what you need to do with the help of your Dr., parents etc., Keep in mind too that being high (not too high) isn't as dangerous as being too low. You have a much bigger range to go high than you do to go low. If you know your going to do a meet you may need to keep sugar on the higher side and keep those foods and drinks in your bag so when you do go low you can get that quick fix if needed. Knowing when you start to feel that low is key.

It's not going to be easy but you can do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back