Coaches my vault? please give feedback!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey! I know I'm going crazy with all the new posts, but I really want the gymnastics community's opinion of me and my gymnastics. In return for input from others, I will try and reply to as many of others' posts as I can so we can all help each other out! My question: deductions on this vault? 9.9 start value- score 9.2

xcel platinium

The two biggest deductions I'm seeing (which are basically the same error, but you're getting hit twice on it) are insufficient block and leaving the table past vertical. You want to get to the table faster and at a lower angle. Setting the table a little higher might help, but would require a more powerful entry -- I'd have to work with you in person to decide if this is the approach I'd take. But in general, you want the time from board to table to be quicker, so you hit the table at a lower angle, causing you to pop up more coming off it.

Also, you're probably taking 2 to 4 tenths on that landing.

I'm not from the US so somebody with more knowledge on your system could elaborate better, but I'll list some things that could give deductions:
- Steps at the landing, I'd give 0,3 for that I think (again, diferent system though).
- Off centre at the landing. At this angle it's hard to see wether you're off centre already at the block or whether you twist to the side, I suspect you twist to the side. I'm not sure this is a deduction in the US DP/Excel programmes though.
- You may get a small distance decuction, I would say before you take the extra step you landed just a bit too close. We tend to say your own oustretched length should be between the vaulting table and your feet upon landing. In theory you may also get a deduction for height, I would not give that here.
- Insufficient block and leaving the table past vertical were mentioned in the previous comment.

Very unlikely, but if you want to find other points some judges could have deducted on:
- One hand leaves the table first, I don't think thats a dedution here but you could look into that, wether that's allowed or not. I also suspect it may contribute to you going off centre though.
- In theory a judge might give you a deduction for the very slight hip angle in the pre block phase, and bringing the feet apart before landing. Don't worry about that though, you really can't do that much better than you're already doing so judges that take those deductions will take them for literally everyone.

I think by far the biggest deal is your landing for me, but again we use a different code than you use in the US. In some codes your landing would amount to at least half your deductions though.

The two biggest deductions I'm seeing (which are basically the same error, but you're getting hit twice on it) are insufficient block and leaving the table past vertical. You want to get to the table faster and at a lower angle. Setting the table a little higher might help, but would require a more powerful entry -- I'd have to work with you in person to decide if this is the approach I'd take. But in general, you want the time from board to table to be quicker, so you hit the table at a lower angle, causing you to pop up more coming off it.

Also, you're probably taking 2 to 4 tenths on that landing.
This is very helpful! Thank you!

I'm not from the US so somebody with more knowledge on your system could elaborate better, but I'll list some things that could give deductions:
- Steps at the landing, I'd give 0,3 for that I think (again, diferent system though).
- Off centre at the landing. At this angle it's hard to see wether you're off centre already at the block or whether you twist to the side, I suspect you twist to the side. I'm not sure this is a deduction in the US DP/Excel programmes though.
- You may get a small distance decuction, I would say before you take the extra step you landed just a bit too close. We tend to say your own oustretched length should be between the vaulting table and your feet upon landing. In theory you may also get a deduction for height, I would not give that here.
- Insufficient block and leaving the table past vertical were mentioned in the previous comment.

Very unlikely, but if you want to find other points some judges could have deducted on:
- One hand leaves the table first, I don't think thats a dedution here but you could look into that, wether that's allowed or not. I also suspect it may contribute to you going off centre though.
- In theory a judge might give you a deduction for the very slight hip angle in the pre block phase, and bringing the feet apart before landing. Don't worry about that though, you really can't do that much better than you're already doing so judges that take those deductions will take them for literally everyone.

I think by far the biggest deal is your landing for me, but again we use a different code than you use in the US. In some codes your landing would amount to at least half your deductions though.
Thank you! This is helpful I appreciate it! Yes in the U.S they will take deductions for not being in the centre which is caused by one hand leaving earlier than the other!

So I don't know specific point values, but I'm seeing a few things. As has been stated above, the shoulder block and timing leaving the table are definite problems. Also the landing and how you are going crooked. The other thing that I saw is that your legs are slightly separated at some points so try to squeeze more.

I agree with everything that’s been stated, and while not a deduction, you are also a touch a far back on the springboard. Hitting it higher might give you extra power for that block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back