Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Did anyone watch the meet?

I didn't get to watch the meet but I saw the scores and I want to know what yall think?

I personally don't think that some of the girls that qualified should have qualified; they were elites at one point and it was supposed to be a meet for girls that don't get the opportunity to compete on that large of a stage because J.O. nationals aren't held on podium and the girls who hadn't tested elite yet may never test elite.

I just want to know yall's opinion on the meet.

It is archived online at universal sports, just go to videos and you'll find it there. I haven't had time to watch it yet.

I watched the meet online (rotations 2-the end)
They only showed certain gymnast for most of it (I saw Lexie Priessman like 3 times, Amelia Hundley once, Mikayla Skinner once, Diandra Milliner twice,the 2nd place girl ( I dont remember her name), and a few others. I think that Lexie did good but its not fair that she went( she got 3rd AA at the U.S. Classic last year, and qualified to the Visa Championships.

I cant the find the original press releases now but I am sure it was supposed to be for level 10 to experience a podium meet. Alot of the qualifiers were already elite not level 10 and some already have college spots. That is not what it purported to be.

However I did find this on the home site

On Aug. 11, 2009, USA Gymnastics and Nastia Liukin announced a partnership to create the Nastia Liukin Supergirl Cup, which would provide a competitive opportunity for the country’s top Junior Olympic gymnasts.

Junior means under 16 years old. Lexi is only 13 but the girls who came second and third were about 18. I don't think they could ever be juniors again. lol.

It has been just another elite meet. Poor Nastia.

I think this whole thing went abit wrong! Big boo boo for Nastia. And what were those hideos trophy things. They look like table lamps from a pound shop.

it was meant for junior olympic girls...meaning girls who compete levels 1-10 in the usa gymnastics program but specifically for this meet it was level 10's who qualified for this meet...many many of the girls have already competed elite or at least tested to become elite.

i totally agree this meet went soooo wrong! i don't know why they didn't say that this meet was for gymnast who have NEVER competed elite!

i can almost guarantee that lexi will go elite this summer or in the near future making it almost impossible for the other girls to even compete with her. she won by over a point i believe.

I know a girl who qualified from our area who competed in the US Classic last year, then qualified as elite and is 17.

I think part of the problem was the meets that were designated as qualifying meets. Seems they made little attempt to have only girls who met the original requirements compete in a session to qualify. I know the meet that the girl I mentioned above competed at they had 2 L10 sessions and the 2nd session was L10/open---that was the session they took the girls from to qualify to this meet. The other session was all L10s(mainly 1st year) and that session was not considered a qualifying session.

Poor Form

I know someone who qualified that is an excellent level 10 gymnast. But I think it was in poor form for Nastia to suck people into this event under false pretenses. There were not rules the gyms hosting the qualifiers had to follow when it came to how they would select winners.

At one of the very first meets in the series what happens? Cincinnati qualifies two of their own both who I believe are Elite gymnasts past or present. So, that kind of set the tone for the rest of the meets.

Gym coaches choose which meets to have their girls compete in and perhaps these qualifiers were chosen in hopes of these teams getting their girls into such a great event. Perhaps if they were told upfront that this meet would be open to elite gymnasts the coaches would have opted out and not bought into the hype.

I think it was just a big stage for a few girls and that was not they way they were pitching the event. The sucked in at least 25 of the girls and led them to believe they would be seen on tv when they knew that would never really happen. The little girl I know of was so excited and had all of her friends back at home watching only to find out that USA Gymnastics had not bothered to even give most of the girls even a few seconds on tv. So, it was not about the everyday girl getting a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was, unfortunately, about showcasing the chosen girls from the chosen gyms.

I hope that if Nastia really wants what she said she wanted for this meet that next time around she tell the host gyms exactly how they are supposed to handle it when an elite gymnast gets the highest all-around score. It should have been a very simple, "Oh, you have already competed Elite. You are not eligible for the Nastia Cup." And, then you go to the next highest score. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me?

Sad.

both Cincinnati girls have competed elite, Douglas competed elite, skinner i believe has qualified for elite, wang qualified for elite, carroll has competed elite, and beers has competed elite (she wasn't really a factor since she hurt her knee right before the comp. and only competed bars but still)

thats 7 girls that i know for sure that they have been in elite competition for sure.

i do agree; the whole thing was handled very poorly and its very sad for the girls that it was their only opportunity to compete on this kind of stage.

I agree with the posters who say that the selection process for this meet was flawed...for starters, the hostgym had to pay a $2500 fee to be a "Nastia Liukin Cup Qualifier" so that would motivate you to want one of your own to qualify!! (a la the CGA meet).

I do agree that it should have been for girls who were Level 10s period. If you were already qualified to the Visa Championships, you should not have been eligible...Hundley, Priessman, Skinner, Douglas...they're all qualified and currently going to camps with Marta in Houston for elites so they should never have been in the mix at all.

I don't have a problem with girls like ALexis Carroll who tried elite ( I believe for a year) and decided to stay level 10...she's only competed Level 10 meets this year ( and has kicked butt in every meet we've seen her in!) so her eligibility I didn't have an issue with.

I did have an issue with how the qualifiers were selected from meet to meet..some meets it was the "highest Jr and Sr AA from the entire meet" while others, it was "the highest AA from Session 3"..there wasn't any continuity to it.

I think you will see many more meets who want to qualify their own girls pay the fee and become "qualifiers"...

We watched as much of the meet as we could with our lousy internet connection. Flippers teammate was one of the girls competing. Her teammate did well and was featured on the TV/internet feed which thrilled Flipper. This girl is a true level 10 gymnast - has never competed elite or even tried to qualify. However, it has been said that this same gymnast COULD qualify elite, she just never wanted to put it the hours and focused on getting a college scholarship. She has accepted a Division I scholarship and has inspired other girls at the gym to work for the same thing. She is proof that you can compete in gymnastics at a high level and still have a life.

I wish the meet had stuck to it's original intent and had only true level 10's competing. Can't blame the gymnasts, it was lack of organization and clear standards from the organizers. Maybe next year!

We watched as much of the meet as we could with our lousy internet connection. Flippers teammate was one of the girls competing. Her teammate did well and was featured on the TV/internet feed which thrilled Flipper. This girl is a true level 10 gymnast - has never competed elite or even tried to qualify. However, it has been said that this same gymnast COULD qualify elite, she just never wanted to put it the hours and focused on getting a college scholarship. She has accepted a Division I scholarship and has inspired other girls at the gym to work for the same thing. She is proof that you can compete in gymnastics at a high level and still have a life.

I wish the meet had stuck to it's original intent and had only true level 10's competing. Can't blame the gymnasts, it was lack of organization and clear standards from the organizers. Maybe next year!

Girls like this are who the meet was originally designed to showcase...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back