National Finals - Guilford - 2/3rd Nov 2013

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh totally amazing, not saying she wasn't :) and she's amazing now.

Just found it interesting to watch that video, and compare to the kids I've seen picked at 6 for elite track locally- all hyper-mobile and able to do most of the R&C with a little work on the press handstand. Interesting to see other clubs/coaches picking completely different types.

Well that was a really interesting weekend. Our results weren't really as I expected anyway - some better and some a bit disappointing. There are a couple of girls who seem to have so much potential in the gym, but just haven't really managed to command the podium in the way the coaches seem to think they should, but a couple more did better than expected. Frustration and pride in equal measure from coaches.

What I know in answer to some comments above - Level 3 Notts - Paige, Scarlett and Caitlin are all from Notts. Bella Aldridge did her compulsory 3 at regionals so wasn't eligible for voluntaries as she wasn't judged on them. So that's all their level 3's. Interesting that all three (four) have transferred in from other clubs. Molly Palmer seems to have transferred out of compulsories - either temporarily or permanently although, as someone else said, I find it strange she is allowed to compete out of age level 4 at regionals and pink ladies when she passed compulsory 3 in March. Would love someone to explain how that works!

Only two Notts girls qualified for level 4 team - Ramiyah Kofi and Isla Lees. The other two - Madison and Mae are from Coalville I believe. Isabella Whillocks was reserve. Two other Notts girls competed voluntary 4 (and both had competed compulsory but one for another club) but neither made nationals and no, Notts don't enter you if you haven't qualified for the team.

There were a couple of last minute injuries and withdrawals, including (so someone said) a couple of level 2 girls injured in podium training.

There were some completed result reversals from regionals - including the entire West mids team, who seemed to finish in the opposite order. And one or two girls who did very well at compulsories and who I was hoping to see good things from, didn't seem to have made as much progress and finished further down. Liverpool supporters were a little subdued.

And Halle Hilton is ace. Crikey Faith, the more I hear of your region the more amazed I am. I can't imagine any club turning down a six year old who can do that. She'd definitely be on our team. Watching our next years compulsory 5's, they look pretty clumsy in comparison. Our squad is not made up of twiglets though...

Wow flossy, you're well informed! Did you go? Did your DD compete? Hope she did well if so :)

And Halle Hilton is ace. Crikey Faith, the more I hear of your region the more amazed I am. I can't imagine any club turning down a six year old who can do that. She'd definitely be on our team. Watching our next years compulsory 5's, they look pretty clumsy in comparison. Our squad is not made up of twiglets though..

Oh I don't think I'm being clear, her skill level for a 6 year old is amazing, and she's amazing :). I was looking more at general body type and flexibility- she wouldn't have made it out of rec or club squad to learn those skills by that age. Mind you I never could work out our club's selection policy, but flexibility did seem to be the big thing, which I never understood as you can train it- I'd rather select for the untrainable like fast twitch and psychology, and teach the rest.

Anyway, I'm off topic and on my talent spotting soapbox again :p.

We were there on sunday and I was there in more than one capacity, so able to talk to quite a wide range of people. I do know quite a lot of mums and also a few coaches now.

I'm a bit fuzzy about a few things from Saturday (but that's also my typical post weekend state!) and haven't really had chance to look at the level 2 and 3 in any detail. And I might not to be honest, as I don't tend to deliberately dig about for information or have the time to worry about things which aren't in front of me most of the time! That makes me feel quite knowledgeable one minute and utterly clueless the next, lol.

The thing which always hits me at these things is... you see the girls working so very hard and being amazing in the gym and you observe all the hours of effort from whole team of people, both in the gym and at home. Then you go to nationals and you see girls, who shine like stars in the gym and seem stand out special, pretty much swallowed up by the scores of other bright stars from other clubs.

That's why some clubs don't let girls who didn't make team enter. Their attitude is that they may seem close and look great at regionals, but if they're not even top four there, what's going to happen when they get to nationals and are in the bottom ten. I wonder if they don't assume too much? As I said, some of the regionals results were very different at nationals and maybe the girls would rather compete at nationals and not do brilliantly than sit at home?

It also makes me think about other sports ad how the way to improve at nationals is to get faster, stronger... in UK gymnastics it's partly that and partly numbers. Hang on in there until level 2 and you'll go from being one of the top 50 in the country for your age, to one of the top 20 - boom. Last 20 standing.

Then I wonder if it's not a bit early to get so philosophical and maybe I need some breakfast...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back