NBC Olympic "commercials"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
Has anyone noticed while watching the trials (not just gym but other sports too) they have a segment where the voiceover says "are you interested in [insert sport here], go to our website to learn how to accomplish your Olympic Dream!" I feel like this is just a way to feed crazy sport parents, and gives an unrealistic expectation for them. If that makes any sense....it made me mad in a way.

Just seems weird to me, that being said, I'm interested to see how much rec class enrollment is going to spike within the next few weeks :)

Yeah they bugged me some too - as if every kid that joins a gymnastics gym has a legit shot at the Olympics for gymnastics. I hate to be negative, but most really don't, and selling that dream just seems very unethical to me. I would much prefer a commercial that just sold doing gymnastics in general.

It would be the equivalent of "does your kid want to play in the nba?" during the basketball championships or do you want to play in the NFL? during the Super Bowl. And honestly I'd bet the odds of those 2 things happening to any single youth aged participant are actually better than a new young gymnast making the Olympic gymnastics team.

Exactly!!! There are hundreds of people who make pro athlete teams, but only 5 girls every 4 years go to the Olympics.

When I was watching the swim trials, they first said "want to find a club near you? Go to our link..." I thought ~oh what great marketing, such a great idea!~ and then I heard it say "...to find your road to the Olympics!" (Or something like that)....then out loud I just said "oh, Jesus Christ!"

What is the link?

Who knows how many it'll be by the time some kids are old enough. I feel like the team size will swing the other direction at some point. But I agree, rediculous.

Lol, after checking out the link and entering my zip code, I followed the links to the different gyms they had listed. One only has team thru L6/L7. One was a non-existent website (but the gym has sent girls to L9 Easterns). Two were gyms that have actually sent girls to L10 JO Nationals.

The BEST thing I found while checking out the websites was in the team handbook of one of the 2 that sends girls to Nationals:
"Gymnastics is not for everyone. Not all gymnasts will make it to optional levels; fewer will make it to level 10. Approximately 150 girls will go on to college gymnastics per year; even less will be provided scholarships. 14 gymnasts will make the National Team each year, and only 5 of those 14 will make the Olympic Team every fourth year. Although it is a very tough sport to be successful at, it teaches values and provides attributes that pass well beyond the competitive floor. Please remember to ask yourself, “What do I want out of this sport for my child?” Hopefully (this gym) can provide what you are looking for, but check your priorities with what our gym has to offer."

USAG is a business.......they have to sell it.
This was the hardest thing for DD Russian coach to swallow.......no, it's NOT for everyone.

BTW, anyone know if there is ANYPLACE to find videos of RAGAN, et al from trials day????????????
I can't believe there is nothing online....ridiculous.

This was the hardest thing for DD Russian coach to swallow.......no, it's NOT for everyone.

BTW, anyone know if there is ANYPLACE to find videos of RAGAN, et al from trials day????????????
Nbcolympics Facebook at least did have some of the day 1 videos yesterday.

Oh I totally understand the "selling it" part of it as well, I DO like the post they did on their FB page that talked about "USA Gymnastics moms" instead of just "Olympian moms" I fell like it united everyone, showing yes, their kids made it to the Olympics, but all parents of athletes work hard for their kids and make sacrifices. I work with a guy whose son is going to the Olympics for swimming, and the day after he made it, I sent him an email to congratulate his son, I let him know that as a parent of a gymnast, and as an athlete I understand the dedication it takes, not only for the athlete but from the parent and the family as well. He warmly thanked me for my congrats, and then said "it was a crazy meet!" Just like it was any other weekend lol, he wasn't cocky about it, he could have said "your kid isn't in the Olympics, you don't understand" he gets it that I get it, and that meant a lot to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back