Coaches Need some hip flexor stretches, post 'em if you got 'em!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello all! Long time no see so this is also a "nice to see you" thread!

I have a couple of young girls with incredibly tight hip flexors. It's an interesting phenomenon that I have never seen in this extreme. Their hamstrings are flexible enough for splits, but they have one hip up at an awkward angle. I've pushed them a little bit to see if the resilience of this position, if there's any "give" to the area and it's like pressing on frozen steel encased in concrete.

Another concern with one especially, and I'm not sure I'll articulate this as well as I'd like; but she has such a strong core and all around level strength that it's almost as if her relaxed stretch position is a pose and she actually working quite hard internally to stay off her hips. I hope that makes sense.

Any target stretches for the area would be appreciated, I need to expand what she's doing in the hopes she can't out strength the goal.

Welcome back! How are you? How is your DD? Stick around and post for a while, we have missed your insight. Back on topic.... I have no idea.

Thanks so much Txgymfan! I see you're from Houston and I have to say that at the Woga Classic this weekend the Houston Stars gym blew me away! Lovely athletes, a pleasure to watch. It was gymnastics overload but such a great time!

our girls do similar to this, but with the back shin flat up a wall

mens-health-workout_kneeling-hip-flexor-stretch.jpg

We do splits but with the back foot on toe, not tucked under. If that's not enough of a stretch, have them arch and reach back. (This stretch also works for getting square hips in a split)

What I do sometimes is you lie on top of a large spotting box (vault would work too) so that your bottom is on the very edge hug one knee and let your other leg hang down the side of the vault and lightly press on this leg until there is a stretch. The knee being hugged can also rest on the person pushing the legs shoulder

View attachment 3802

This is a good one... If you make sure they have good alignment. Hips even and bottom tucked under, no need for the bench if they can't manage the alignment on the floor. I also ask them to pull their belly button in and up as this will get their hips in the right place.
The best thing is a foam roller, super tight kids tend to make very noticeable improvements with it in a short period of time.

View attachment 3802

Using the pic as a reference.... Slowly and gently push with the right foot while gradually rising to a stand. Try to increase the effort provided by the right/back leg as the rise to a stand progresses. Return to the stride kneeling position by reversing the upward exercise...... more work at the beginning of the descent and decreasing as you get lower.

You gotta do this for the right leg and the left leg, or you're gonna have issues.

Just a bit of philosophy/theory on strength and flexibility. In a sense the two go hand in hand and can be developed better with motion based flexibility exercises that use resistance to tire the muscle, increase blood flow, and range of motion. If done gently, especially while learning the balance and pace of the exercise, you'll end up with a healthier and stronger muscle that can produce effort and movement at the extremes of it's motion range.

Think about it.

Thanks very much for the input so far! I think any stretch where she isn't using her hands to mask favoring her hip will help a lot!

Hi,

The lunge stretch is with a straight back leg is most ideally stretch, the back leg can either be resting on the ground, or for a more advanced athlete, on the ball of the foot with a straight back leg. Athlete should focus on maintain square hips. shoulder above hips, and be actively pressing the hip stretched forward and down.

Along with the hips you need to be equally focused on stretching the Quadriceps, and the calf muscles a multi joint movers. Quads help with hip flexion, and the calf is also involved hip mobility as it pulls on the femur, effecting the pelvic tilt.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back