WAG Need Stories about Meniscus Tear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Daffodil

Proud Parent
Hello. Can anyone share any stories about returning to gymnastics after a meniscal tear? My 11 year old daughter who is training level 9 may have one. Trying not to be totally disheartened, but this seems like a big blow for such a young gymnast. Any information regarding your experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

They are common, one of the most common injuries.

If the tear is in the outer layers (known as the red zone) it can heal on its own as there is blood flow to the area.

If it is deeper (white zone), surgery will be needed. It is a relatively simple procedure and most people return to full sports in 3-6 weeks after surgery.

Yes, after all the scans, if it just the other layers, see a very good PT and OT therapist who specializes in sports. So sorry for her, and you :(

Thank you very much Aussie_coach and LadyBugGymnast. That is a relief. I feel so bad for her and all she keeps asking is how long will she be out if it is a tear. I really did not have an answer for her.

We have a girl right now with a simple tear. It required surgery, but i think she'll only be out a total of 6 weeks.

Thank you BachFlyer. I am crossing my fingers that it is not torn, but it helps to know what she might be looking at.

I tore mine in high school. Never had surgery and while I've had small knee issues since including a stress fracture in it about two years ago, it really hasn't given me too many problems.

My D's experience:

D's knee locked occasionally, indicating a tear. Dr hoped it was a simple tear in the periphery (outer, "red zone") but it turned out to be a more complicated "parrot beak" tear that could not be sutured back into place. Consequently, the torn tissue was removed.

Plus: quicker recovery: 6 weeks from surgery to release for full activity
Neg: expect earlier onset of arthritis

More discussion from Dr: had it been repairable, recovery would have been closer to 12-16 weeks before release for full activity.

Thank you everyone. It turns out she has a trabecular fracture of her tibial plateau. No weight bearing for 4-6 weeks in a hinged knee brace and on crutches. The doc said it will be a very frustrating couple of months, but she will be as good as new once it heals. He said she was very lucky and had age on her side. Had she been a couple of years older, this injury would most likely have been a torn ACL.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back