Nemesis Skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Twisting, front fulls, back fulls and front 1 1/2's. (I am okay with just halves) it still is a slight problem and it comes and goes but I tell myself to shut off my brain and turn on my muscles because mentally I know how to do the skill but if I over think it I bail so I turn off the thinking worrying part and flip and think of enagaging the muscles I need to complete the twist. I also something tell myself key words, for example I just learned my double back and I tell myself "up" and "tight tummy, pull, feet"

i know Nemesis. bad dude no matter the the first name. kip nemesis, full nemesis, his cousin the russian yurchenko nemesis, etc;

I have said this before and i'll say it again; Backhandsprings were created by the devil! Hmmm well i just looked it up and apparently the Egyptians invented the back handspring, either way they were pretty mean anyway with all the brain being pulled out of nostrils, ugh gives me the heebbie gibbies :D

My dd's nemesis is anything backward which I'm hoping she will outgrown sooner rather than later. She needs a visit from those vestibular maturity faries.

Well I would say for my DD any beam anything. That is her nemesis event LOL. Once she gets the skill on the beam she is fine but getting it UGH!!

with that said just the opposite is true for Bars - Definitly her favorite event and she will try anything on them no matter how hard. Now that the season is over they are 100% doing L8 practice but I guess at these levels you can add in upper level skills to your routines and they are adding some L9 moves that are allowed to her new L8 bar routine. She is very excited on that one.

The worst thing was when she was L4 so many years ago the back handspring was that first big hard skill for her - now she is all over the floor doing so many in a row you would never know she had issues with it.

My dd's nemesis is anything backward which I'm hoping she will outgrown sooner rather than later. She needs a visit from those vestibular maturity faries.

LOL! a new phrase has been coined!!:)

Has to be going backwards on beam. First it was the back walkover. Then she mastered that and the evil powers that be decided that jumping into the walkover was necessary and thus the back handspring became required. Many tears and a broken foot later, she finally mastered that and then those evil meanies decided that they needed TWO back handsprings... IN A ROW.... CONNECTED.... And to add insult to injury, now they are talking about wanting back handsprings WITH NO HANDS (back layouts)!!! And we won't even talk about the back tuck that is waving from the horizon. It is a never ending nemesis. :rolleyes:

Oh...THE KIP! That is one skill that was so hard to get yet so easy to lose! And could someone please explain to me why round off back handsprings are so tough yet a back tuck on beam seems so much less intimidating?!

Glide swing.
Such a simple skill, esp. if you start young. But my legs make up half my body, so I have a clear hip, long hang pull-over. All the rest of level six skills, I even have my high bar kip but I don't have my glide kip because I don't have a glide swing.
Still haven't accomplished it but we'll see what happens.

DD has picked up most skills pretty quickly, but I'd say her biggest nemesis so far was BHS-BLO on beam.

BHS BHS were a challange for my dd2 on beam. She fractured her wrist on the first one she ever tried, and then after it was healed she was scared of them. She has them done now, and is working on BHS BHS back layout.

DD1, who has retired, was working on a standing full for beam. Never could get the darn skill :)

The twins are both around the same skill level and haven't really struggled horribly on anything recently. I think the biggest challange was the kip they started learning in level 4.

My older dd is having quite a time with her giant - not physically but mentally. She peeled on it last summer and just can't get over that thought. She wants to do it so badly but still has more fear than desire! My little dd hasn't struggled yet but she is still little - I'm sure there are struggles ahead of her!

Jules

Well, first it was the mill circle...then the kip...then the FHS vault....the the giant....then the yurchenko....and I'm sure the list will go on!

Like Cher said ^^^, DD has the same nemesis event. But, she calls the beam and her ROBHS (which is looking prettier every practice) her "arch-enemies". I don't have the heart to tell her it's arch-nemesis - it is just so darn hysterical coming out of her 7 year old mouth. Her coach says she is still such a busy body and she attacks every skill & apparatus like it's trying to hurt her or something! Works great on bars & vault, but not so much on floor and she definitely lacks the focus needed for solid beam work. So, Sunobo, can you send those "vestibular maturity fairies" our way when you're done with them? I'd really appreciate it ;)

That stupid double-layout on floor. An underrotated attempt at which lead to my retirement from competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back